Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting cat used to cat run

• 18-09-2019 7:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭

I’ve recently moved overseas with my cat. He’s settled really well into the house and we kept him inside for a week. He’s a real roamer and i now live in an area that has a 24hr cat curfew. Therefore, we have built a very big cat run in the garden its about 15m long by 3m wide at the side of the house. The first two times i put him in there he was calm and exlpored a little bit but we didn’t leave him in there for long (only a few minutes). However since Monday he absolutly freaks out when we try and put him out there and even runs away from us when we go to pick him up as he thinks we’re going to put him out there. When he is out there he just sits at the back door and absolutly wails.

I’ve started to feed him out there in the evenings to create a positive experience. Does anyone have any other tips on how to get him used to it?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

mel.b wrote: »
    I’ve recently moved overseas with my cat. He’s settled really well into the house and we kept him inside for a week. He’s a real roamer and i now live in an area that has a 24hr cat curfew. Therefore, we have built a very big cat run in the garden its about 15m long by 3m wide at the side of the house. The first two times i put him in there he was calm and exlpored a little bit but we didn’t leave him in there for long (only a few minutes). However since Monday he absolutly freaks out when we try and put him out there and even runs away from us when we go to pick him up as he thinks we’re going to put him out there. When he is out there he just sits at the back door and absolutly wails.

I’ve started to feed him out there in the evenings to create a positive experience. Does anyone have any other tips on how to get him used to it?
    Sounds like something scared him so food, treats and you being there with him to build confidence back up is most likely the best route to go.

Advertisement