Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Buy house, don't pay mortgage, live rent-free for 9 years. MOD WARNING POST #268

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

cruizer101 wrote: »
    So now Pamela has actually come out and said she think there is nothing wrong with not paying her mortgage
    Independant.ie

Speaking to the ‘Sunday Independent’, Ms Flood said she and her husband have done nothing wrong.
    “Missing mortgage payments is not doing something wrong. If you miss them genuinely because you can’t make the mortgage payment, that is not something wrong.
    “It’s not immoral, it’s not even illegal, it’s just missing mortgage payments,” she said.

<SNIP>

She’s implying it was almost an oversight on their part when in fact their actions are quite deliberate. You don’t “miss” or forget to make a payment for more than 9 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

What I don't understand is how they were able to start a business during that time? Did they just use all their money for that and said screw the mortgage?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭JDD

The reason this whole debacle has lasted for so long is that there were a lot of separate legal issues that happened with Tanagers purchase of Bank of Scotland's loan book. I'd say that has added three years to the litigation.

So I think this is the situation. The economy collapses and you lose your jobs. You're in a nice house that you now can't afford. You continue to make interest payments with a view to entering into a payment arrangement with your bank, but the bank don't accept that any payment arrangement that you are putting forward is sustainable. Those negotiations probably lasted for about 18 months. Back in 2011 they probably thought "well, we're in our late thirties, we've been in mortgage arrears for two years, we're probably never going to get approved for a mortgage again, even if we continue to pay interest. So lets stop paying, let them repossess the house, and we'll stay in it for as long as we can.

Worst case scenario, they repossess in the next 12 months, and we're stuck with the residual debt. Medium case scenario, we hang on for three or four years, the house appreciates in value, they repossess and while we'll be out, at least we won't have the residual debt. Best case scenario, we stay in the house for five years, our personal economic situation improves, the value of the house improves, we can enter into an arrangement with the bank and we all live happily ever after.

Was it immoral? Yes, they broke their contractual arrangements with the bank. Was it the worst thing done by debtors during the crash? No, not when you look at the developers who got paid hundreds of thousands of taxpayers money for managing their own repossessed property portfolios. Is it their fault that BoS or Tanager didn't repossess five years ago? No. Tanager messed up their legal title to the mortgages, and the couple here got the advantage of a couple more years in the house as a result.

They clearly have been saving money over the past nine years. While it's not €345k, because they never would have had the money to pay for that in the first place, it is the amount a small 3 bed in a cheaper area would have cost to rent over the same period, so possibly around €150k. I have no moral qualms about them being repossessed now, I have to say. They were lucky, that's all.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 343 ✭✭Wtf ?

<SNIP>

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Nevin Parsnipp

Graham wrote: »
    It doesn't say that.

Probably right..but that situation is of their own doing.

They gave a Court Undertaking to leave the house by an agreed date and have reneged on that apparently....surely this is making a complete mockery of an already overloaded legal system. ??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,508 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

So they couldn't meet the repayments for some time.
    If that's true and they had a family do you expect them to just leave and live on the street?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭Shelflife

No , you expect them to find a place to rent that is within their means , they have had ample time to sort it out.

If the bailiffs come along now and turf them out on the street , they only have themselves to blame.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

eagle eye wrote: »
    If that's true and they had a family do you expect them to just leave and live on the street?

They got 3 months to find somewhere else.
    How much time do they need?
    They’ve loads of money saved up because they haven’t paid any rent or mortgage for 9 years.
    He’s got tonnes of family in Thurles.
    They can rent a place here and the train service to Dublin is excellent.
    He can commute daily.
    Loads of good schools and cousins for his kids here.
    That’s just one solution.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

How dare anyone suggest this attractive looking couple should pay for things like the rest of us.
    They have good looking friends I'm sure they all don't have to pay for anything either.

And for people to be upset because this charming couple had gotten away with it, do ye not realize who they are and the influential circles they rub shoulders with ?

I'm outraged about the fact that people can't pretend this isn't happening, it's shocking...

They're to be looked up to and put on a pedestal for how important they are....

• Registered Users Posts: 24,270 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,508 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

splinter65 wrote:
    They got 3 months to find somewhere else. How much time do they need? They’ve loads of money saved up because they haven’t paid any rent or mortgage for 9 years. He’s got tonnes of family in Thurles. They can rent a place here and the train service to Dublin is excellent. He can commute daily. Loads of good schools and cousins for his kids here. That’s just one solution.
    Have they got money?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

All a bit innocent on your behalf.. Good fund me page perhaps 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Have they got money?

Apparently yes he runs a successful catering business I'd hazard a guess she's earning too.

<mod snip>

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Mod Note

The standard of posting on this thread is way below acceptable for the accommodation & property forum.

If you're just posting to be a d**k or a smart arse, take it somewhere else.

Do not reply to this post on thread.

Graham wrote: »
    Mod Note

The standard of posting on this thread is way below acceptable for the accommodation & property forum.

If you're just posting to be a d**k or a smart arse, take it somewhere else.

Do not reply to this post on thread.

My note to you is, it's after hours.
    Some people have a sense of humour.
    I appreciate you have a job to do.
    But if we can't have a bit of banter about factual information and news.

Where else can we have the bants.....

Oh dear my mistake sorry for the mistake....

I'll walk away from this

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

nthclare wrote: »
    My note to you is, it's after hours.

Please check what forum you are posting in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭nc6000

Have they got money?

Their Lacanche cooker featured in the Irish Times Life & Style article would have cost at least €6,000.

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/homes-and-property/interiors/at-home-with-pamela-flood-i-am-a-total-hoarder-1.3333531

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,984 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

pc7 wrote: »

This sounds terrible. Cleaning your house for a viewing. We are not throwing all the sob stories from the last nine years into the mix to get the public on side. Id have put up with having to get out of the house for two hours on a saturday to live without having to pay a mortgage for 9 years. Sounds great this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭sassyj

They also continued to have children when they clearly couldn't afford to. Like a lot of people in this country, a great sense of entitlement. I'd love to see where they went on holidays each year of the 9 years

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,984 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Are they trying to put off prospective buyers? Or garner sympathy, I just can’t fathom their goal.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,369 ✭✭✭irishgeo

I love how he says it's his home. It's not mate it's the bank house. It's not your home until you get the title deeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭TSQ

nc6000 wrote: »
    Their Lacanche cooker featured in the Irish Times Life & Style article would have cost at least €6,000.

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/homes-and-property/interiors/at-home-with-pamela-flood-i-am-a-total-hoarder-1.3333531
    Hope the bank is making notes on the artworks and expensive furnishings to be seized

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭TSQ

pc7 wrote: »
    Are they trying to put off prospective buyers? Or garner sympathy, I just can’t fathom their goal.

Yeah..”She brought the kids to the park in the middle of winter and stayed there for four hours while they showed the house." (Sob)

Like, as if any house viewing is scheduled to last more than 30 minutes. What a load of old cobblers. But it wouldnt be a housing sob story without bringing “de poor childer” into it.

Is his business still going ?.has there been no income earned in 9 years ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,160 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

irishgeo wrote: »
    I love how he says it's his home. It's not mate it's the bank house. It's not your home until you get the title deeds.

It is his home while he lives in it. The issue of title is irrelevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,369 ✭✭✭irishgeo

It is his home while he lives in it. The issue of title is irrelevant.
    The law disagrees with you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

The law disagrees with you.

Is there a legal definition of home?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement