Post Reply  
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
18-11-2020, 13:30   #1
Hyus
Registered User
 
Hyus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Posts: 14
Brodie helmets in the Free State military?

When looking at images of the Free State defence forces, it strikes me that the only headgear I see are either cloth caps or those stahlhelm looking helmets. Given that a lot of our other equipment was British (like Lee-Enfield rifles), was there any use of Brodie helmets by the Free State during the 1920s-30s? Or what about later during the Emergency?

Also, as a related side question, does anyone know if we had an equivalent during the Emergency to the civilian "Zuckerman helmets" issued in Britain? Given the bombing of Dublin and other parts of the country, I wondered if the government offered anything like that for sale to civilians or public servants (like the fire brigades), since neutrality obviously wasn't a guarantee of safety.

Last edited by Hyus; 18-11-2020 at 13:44.
Hyus is offline  
Advertisement
20-11-2020, 14:19   #2
whisky_galore
Registered User
 
whisky_galore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 10,405
https://www.military.ie/en/public-in...f-the-army.jpg

Yes they had Brodie ones from about 1940 onwards, the "Fritz" helmets were then painted white and cascaded down to Civil Defence and other Emergency services.
Before the Vickers helmets, just various types of forage cap, no helmets.
whisky_galore is offline  
(3) thanks from:
20-11-2020, 17:41   #3
Mick Tator
Registered User
 
Mick Tator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Posts: 69
They were in use certainly up to the late 50's in the regular army
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2012-04-11_14.JPG (495.5 KB, 56 views)
Mick Tator is offline  
20-11-2020, 17:44   #4
Fann Linn
Registered User
 
Fann Linn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 6,055
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick Tator View Post
They were in use certainly up to the late 50's in the regular army

Had one of them on my head in the early 80s as part of 20 Inf Batt FCA. ðŸ˜႒
Fann Linn is offline  
25-11-2020, 16:36   #5
Samsonsmasher
Registered User
 
Samsonsmasher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2020
Posts: 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyus View Post
When looking at images of the Free State defence forces, it strikes me that the only headgear I see are either cloth caps or those stahlhelm looking helmets. Given that a lot of our other equipment was British (like Lee-Enfield rifles), was there any use of Brodie helmets by the Free State during the 1920s-30s? Or what about later during the Emergency?

Also, as a related side question, does anyone know if we had an equivalent during the Emergency to the civilian "Zuckerman helmets" issued in Britain? Given the bombing of Dublin and other parts of the country, I wondered if the government offered anything like that for sale to civilians or public servants (like the fire brigades), since neutrality obviously wasn't a guarantee of safety.
British style helmets belt kit and the Bren Lee Enfield and Sten were used by the Irish Defence Forces during the Emergency and after. The American M1 helmet was used by Irish troops in the Congo. British Brodie helmets were replaced by helmets similar to the later pot shaped British helmets influenced by the WW2 British paratrooper helmet design which did away with the steel hat shape. The current helmet is s Rabintex design.
Samsonsmasher is offline  
Advertisement
30-11-2020, 23:21   #6
Sattwa06
Registered User
 
Sattwa06's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Posts: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fann Linn View Post
Had one of them on my head in the early 80s as part of 20 Inf Batt FCA. ðŸ˜႒
Agus mise freisin ... (Complacht na bfFiann)
Sattwa06 is offline  
01-12-2020, 14:26   #7
Stovepipe
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 2,483
The DF never had the Sten; we had the Carl Gustav M 45, which looked similar, and the Brodie helmet was replaced by the British 1944 pattern (the turtle helmet), which was utter ****e by the time I got to wear it for mortar firing in the FCA in the 1980s. Dispatch riders may have had the British para helmet with leather "neck", but I'm not exactly sure about that. The Vickers helmet was widely disliked because it was big, heavy and men were not fitted properly for it so it slid all over their heads and when men lay down to fire, their pack always knocked it forward over their eyes. The Brodie was a better fit. The first generation Rabintex was a good unit but had to be fitted properly and that was not always understood by storemen and soldiers alike. I saw them "field-modified" to fit. In the Air Corps, the pilot's and aircrew helmets were individually fitted and the pilots wore skullcaps under them.
Stovepipe is offline  
09-12-2020, 22:18   #8
V8 Interceptor
Banned
 
V8 Interceptor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 1,284
I recall a British reel of film showing the Free State army on manoeuvres during WW2 with the commentary "Here they are with their German helmets, ashamed of their Britishness".
V8 Interceptor is offline  
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet