Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on lightweight 2 berth caravan

• 25-07-2020 8:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Like many folks lately, I'm considering buying a lightweight (850kg-950kg max MRO) 2 berth used touring caravan. I like the Elddis Mistral ex300, and L-shaped lounge layouts in general. It will mostly be just me and a toddler for one or two nights, occasionally Mr. Seashells2020 will join us on longer adventures. I've done a fair amount of homework, but now I need some real-world advice please!

I currently drive a Skoda Fabia hatchback, with a max noseweight of only 50kg, is this realistic? Is any particular brand or style of tow bar better for hauling caravans? Any recommendations on an installer in Limerick or Galway?

I know prices are inflated in these strange times, and I've seen the posts about folks flipping damp caravans days after buying them. I'm seeing prices ranging from €700-12,000; what sort of price range is realistic for my purposes?

Besides checking for damp, looking at every last detail, and running a CRiS check, is there anything else I should do when buying? If I was to buy up North, do I need to do anything extra to bring it back into the Republic? I appreciate any recommendations, warnings, or advice!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,440 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Nothing needed to bring from the north, it’s just a glorified trailer really.

Make sure you see every appliance working.

Open and close all windows and skylights. Check catches etc.

Keep an eye on the floor, there can be a problem called delamination which weakens the floor in older vans.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

Unfortunately if you're looking at second hand vans, it seems smaller is more expensive. I love T@B 320s , Eriba Pucks, Freedom Caravans etc. They really hold their value though. People don't seem to want big, second hand caravans. I've seen a few 2 berths go up on the Facebook groups selling caravans, but they seem to go very fast. If I were going old I'd go Eriba or Freedom, and they're light to tow.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭PhilipJ

Have a look at this website https://towcar.info/
    Match up your car with the van you would like, it will give you a review on your car towing capabilities and towball weights etc.

Advertisement