Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Any VW Late/Early bay owners here, looking for interior tips..

• 08-07-2020 4:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28,074 ✭✭✭✭

Making progress on the rebuild of a 1976 original Cork reg late bay...

I've got a drivers seat, bits of the old Devon interior are in the shed but there wrecked, not sure what to do, perfect secnario is it will sleep 5 (3kids) and have 5 seatbelts, it's a walk through so not sure where to put the back belts or what interior set up to put in, kitchen, sink etc.
    I gather the original heathers aren't up to much, should I look at an alternative, any recommendations.

I suppose the question is what do I need to have a practical camper.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Gary Owen

A full width rock n roll bed is a must for some comfort . You can also get a hammocK style bed that fits over the front seats , will sleep 1 child .kitchen unit behind driver’s seat and if you need a heater you could install a blow heater under the bed . Look around for a pair of alpha Romero front seats . Good news is that no test required and €56 tax. Good luck with it .

• Registered Users Posts: 28,074 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Cheers for that was looking at the hammock for the front, that'll do the little one fine I'd say.
    What's your take on the belts, I've 3 under 7 they probably need to be belt them up. 3 on the rock and Roll?
    Which Alfa? Are they a straight forward fit just get the rails with the seat?

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewforum.php?f=5&topicdays=0&start=550 Take a look , great information available. Not sure about the belts , I don’t think lap belts would be ideal , check around the usual sites for belt options . Alpha 156 seats .

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭dubbrin

Have an early bay. The roof bunk is no good really unless I go for the continental style bed conversion. A late bay top bunk is the business so spend a little time and effort getting that right.

The cab 'cot' may or may not work for you. Maybe look into making up something similar but with more of a sturdy base for a matress and sides. Can't ever see myself trying to sleep the child in it.

A late bay should have a factory 3point belt anchor on the drivers side beside the rear r&r bed, under the window, + on the wheel arch below. Good info here:
    http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=71586&start=20

https://campervancrazy.wordpress.com/tag/safety-belt/

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=262433&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=60

Three belts in the back is going to be difficult, but not impossible

We found a 3/4 r&r more than adequate for two adults. Full may get more children in!

Just recommissioned the whole heater ductwork/controls/cables/heatexchanger boxes in mine and it works well. The winter will tell. I wouldn't be using it for stationary heating though so a gas/diesel heater may be best. Not as hard as it appears at first as long as the cables are not seized in the tubes....

Have you checked out Eircooled? Trev on there has his late camper kitted for family camping incl seat belts, etc

That's some good information on the seatbelts and rear bench, just discussing it this morning, thinking 3 across the back bench, 2 standard seat belts and a lap belt. I'll have a good read of that thanks.
    I had a pair of Porsche 944 seats in the garage was thinking of retrimming them as I like the look of them, I'm struggling to find an original passenger seat. I might have to rethink the tombstones as it'll cost me that front bunk bed. (Is there another option?)
    It's a Devon camper so I've got the two separate hammock beds in the pop top.
    Just trying to dry run anything that needs drilling etc before painting, need to make a decision on the what size rock and roll to go for. I'll cordon off our own bed and see what herself reckons.

IMG-20200714-110100.jpg

Thinking something like these for the finished front seats.

Van-Wurks-Porsche-Tombstone-Seat-Trimming-01.jpg

Have you an inspection hatch in the back like here, there's a hole in the back floor where someone cut it open, might it be useful to put one in or did you ever need it, it's in one of the pictures you linked to.

Screenshot-20200714-131044.jpg

• Advertisement

Have tombstones as well. Prefer the original seats. Mine are reupholstered. You should be able to get them in without removing the bulkheads unless you want to rotate them. Put them in my T4 for a while. Comfy enough, looked the biz.
    The inspection hatch is handy for the type4 engine, good access all round. Early bays don’t have that access. A crudely cut opening further forward is probably to access the fuel level sender on top of the tank. Seen a lot of them done with varying levels of tidiness.
    A good option would be to get a driveway awning with whatever floor space and extra bedrooms in it. That way everyone can have a bed comfortably.

Yea they seem to fit fine with the bulkheads in place, they'd probably cost a small fortune to retrim.
    I'd like to rotate the seats, not sure about what it would do to the structure though and the reinforcement required, it's why I'm hesitant to go at it. Was thinking just get a buddy seat with extension behind the passenger bulk head. Like this one from Rust Lee https://camperinteriors.co.uk/products/rusty-lee-vw-buddy-seat
    I don't think it's a type 4, it's the standard 1600 from mid 70's (type2, ae?) It's gone up to Dave Wheatley for a make over at the moment.
    It's a crude cut looks like it was done with a tin opener, is the fuel sender a problem, will I need access?

An awning could be the way forward.

Bear in mind that a lot of seats will need mods to the rails, and they may end up being higher than the originals to start with, putting you in a more awkward driving position. You may need a gear stick extension to stop having to reach for the knob. Those alfa seats look fine and comfy but look at the space between your thighs and the wheel.

I've driven 20k+ with the original seats and never had an issue. Irish roads are so windy and bumpy anyway your arse never gets a chance to settle!

Originals (not mine):
    376517.jpg

Advertisement