Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

30-03-2020, 12:01   #16
jack presley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamsterchops View Post
A question about walking in the park (on the path).

So now that so many are out and about in the parks on foot, or jogging, pushing a pram or cycling, what's the etiquette as to which side you stay on?

Do you keep to the left or right?

I was out for a jog in Blackrock park last week (I tried to keep left) but everybody coming towards me was also on the left, so I gave up and stayed right!

Is this a new thing or was it always this way?

Maybe there's no etiquette and you just meander on paths?

What say you?

Do you pass many who insist on sticking to the middle of the path and make no effort to move to either side when you approach? I'm meeting loads of them!
Thanks from:
Advertisement
30-03-2020, 12:02   #17
fryup

for me its simple - if someone is walking towards you and is coughing & sneezing....then wide berth and feck which side of the path
Thanks from:
30-03-2020, 12:05   #18
pg633

On a road without a footpath I walk on the right so you are facing oncoming cars - I would apply the same rule when on a path for consistency.
Thanks from:
30-03-2020, 12:07   #19
lughan

My instinct is always to walk on the right as that's what you do when on a road with no path (i.e. walk against traffic). In parks I would do the same because of bikes. I don't want anything coming up behind me at speed, especially if it can be difficult to hear like a bike.
Thanks from:
30-03-2020, 12:08   #20
Thoie

Quote:
Originally Posted by pg633 View Post
On a road without a footpath I walk on the right so you are facing oncoming cars - I would apply the same rule when on a path for consistency.
I do the same when walking on country roads with no footpath, but on a dedicated pedestrian/cycle way that includes signage, I keep left like it says. I like consistency, but I can distinguish the two different circumstances.

For the same reason if I'm driving in France I don't drive on the left "for consistency".
(4) thanks from:
Advertisement
30-03-2020, 12:16   #21
Hamsterchops

Quote:
But that is not the tradition in Ireland.

Tradition says that when on a path (not connected to the road) then you walk, push a pram or cycle on the left.

A different rule applies to walking on the roads, where you always walk (towards) and on the same side as oncoming traffic.
30-03-2020, 13:25   #22
Liam28

Quote:

Tradition says that when on a path (not connected to the road) then you walk, push a pram or cycle on the left.

A different rule applies to walking on the roads, where you always walk (towards) and on the same side as oncoming traffic.
No, drive or cycle on the left, walk or run on the right. It is not walk on the left some places, and on the right in others.
30-03-2020, 14:56   #23
Hamsterchops

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam28 View Post
No, drive or cycle on the left, walk or run on the right. It is not walk on the left some places, and on the right in others.
So when on the path (in the park) you say, always walk or run on the right.
30-03-2020, 15:17   #24
Hamsterchops

Liam28 can you please tell us how you came about this theory, as it seems to be at odds with most contributors on here.

Thanks in advance.
Advertisement
30-03-2020, 17:16   #25
Zebra3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Del2005 View Post
A lot of companies have a keep right policy for their staff, especially foreign head quartered ones, that could be part of the issue.
Yeah, some American companies here keep with the policy that they have on their sites back in the US.

Shouldn't be beyond people though to keep left when in public.

And for any couples/families to keep to single file when somebody is passing, bit of courtesy wouldn't go amiss.
Thanks from:
30-03-2020, 17:55   #26
pg633

Quote:

What is tradition though?
You say walking on the left in the park is tradition but you were walking against the flow so your conclusion is that everyone else was wrong?

It sounds like the old joke where a man asks his friend if he saw the lunatic driving on the wrong side of the dual carriageway that morning.
His friend answers there wasn't just one there were hundreds of them.
30-03-2020, 18:49   #27
Hamsterchops

Quote:
What is tradition though?
You say walking on the left in the park is tradition but you were walking against the flow so your conclusion is that everyone else was wrong?

It sounds like the old joke where a man asks his friend if he saw the lunatic driving on the wrong side of the dual carriageway that morning.
His friend answers there wasn't just one there were hundreds of them.
Well then I guess myself Hamsterchops, Atlantic Dawn, SQ2, Thoie, Poochie05, Zebra3 are good old fashioned traditionalists

Left right whatever you're having yourself ...

Would be nice to have a bit of conformity though.
30-03-2020, 22:13   #28
Caquas

Most paths in parks and most footpaths are not wide enough for people to pass while both stay on the the path. Someone has to get off the path to keep 2 metres distance.

On a public roadway the person facing the oncoming traffic should get off the path, all else being equal. This evening I met only a few walkers who understood this. And a lot of people ignored the golden rule which applies in all cases - when someone yields to you, acknowledge this courtesy. A simple nod will do.

Otherwise, you’re just an arrogant pr**k who thinks the world bows to you. Sadly, not uncommon in Ireland these days.
(2) thanks from:
30-03-2020, 23:52   #29

I walk on the the right. Everyone else can walk on the dark side of the moon for all I care.
31-03-2020, 12:33   #30
Blitzkrieger

Quote:
Do you keep to the left or right?
Yes. It kinda depends on the situation. If we all seem a bit unsure I try to just look where I'm going and we usually sort ourselves out.

In Western Europe we tend to pass on the right of people coming towards us when walking, so most places kind of stick to this informal rule. It gets complicated by some parks/greenways (especially when there's cyclists involved) posting 'keep left' signs, which goes against people's natural bias. It's further complicated by non-nationals, because Eastern Europeans (and Asians iirc) tend to pass on the left. I'll have another little rant below, but I think we should all agree to one rule - pass on the left. Hopefully in time it'll start to feel natural.

Actually sod the rant - I'll just say the 'pass on the right' bias doesn't always seem to work, and watch out for kids and dopes who don't look where they're going.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion