Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Wondering whats the average age people bought their first house.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭elefant

mariaalice wrote: »
    https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/property/couple-save-13000-six-months-17671526

It the uk, but interesting and with help to buy they only needed a 5% deposit.

19 and 20 and buying a house.
    OSI wrote: »
    £223k house. 13k from them, 11.5k from the government, so a mortgage of £198,500 on a combined salary of 37k. So over 5 times their combined earnings. Madness.

'Joshua Shaw, 20, and Wiktoria Zaucha, 19, didn't borrow a single penny for the West Midlands property'

Didn't borrow a penny? Did they make up the other 200k in magic beans?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭Immortal Starlight

Built my first at 24.

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭JamBur

33, 155k and 20 years left. Decision coming up soon about switching. Would like to pay a lump as well.

Have many of you guys switched mortgage providers?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

25, bottom of crash and a fairly recession proof job. And luck and a willingness to take on a run down dump. Wouldn't have been able to afford it a year later

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

We built when we were 30. We got 35 year mortgage and recession just started. On the positive side we are on tracker and have great house for less money than we would if we were paying boom rates for labour and materials. There is good positive equity in the house at the moment and mortgage is cheap enough that it make sense to invest spare money into pension etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,041 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I'm still 35, and we are about 2 months away from moving into our new house.

I was lucky to inherite a cottage. I did it up and rented it but could not afford live as too far away from work. Rented for years and thankfully and hopefully never again. We hope move into new place in March/April now. Slowly built it ourselves with help of few friends and bits of work here and there. Mortgage will be paid off it really by selling cottage and savings

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

elefant wrote: »
    'Joshua Shaw, 20, and Wiktoria Zaucha, 19, didn't borrow a single penny for the West Midlands property'

Didn't borrow a penny? Did they make up the other 200k in magic beans?

There are 2 things i don't understand about this story.

1 - The missing 200k, if it's not borrowed, what the hell is it?

2 - How the fúck did he manage to pull her?

I should be able to do when I'm 34 as currently saving but want to have double saved of what I need as a deposit.

I wouldn’t read too much into any replies if I was you. Different people, different eras, different circumstances.

The avg age of a FTB is about 34 currently. And that’s increasing each year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Very bottom of the recession.
    Paid cash, house was going very cheap.
    Few issues so a number of purchasers had pulled out.
    Took the risk, all fixed up and sold on.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭ginger_hammer

33, 7 years ago

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,716 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

34 and without a mortgage. Looking back when I was busting my hole working and saving, my mates were having a great time in their social lives. When the pressure was off and I wanted to rebuild a good social life they were all knuckling down trying to get a mortgage together. I tend to do things a bit differently.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Apollinaris

There are 2 things i don't understand about this story.

1 - The missing 200k, if it's not borrowed, what the hell is it?

2 - How the fúck did he manage to pull her?

Never mind question 1 but yeah question 2? How the hell did that happen?? She must have an eye disorder or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,434 ✭✭✭✭banie01

26 bought in '06 and now mortgage free.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,891 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

40 - with a 30 year mortgage ... :(

Surprised you found a bank to do that!

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭little bess

25 in the1990’s, but then relationship broke up and we sold. Recently bought again aged 45 but no mortgage due to inheritance.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭Ficheall

In case anyone else is reading this thread and feeling underaccomplished, if it helps, I'm 33 and don't own a house or have anything remotely approaching a deposit.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Fogmatic

Ficheall wrote: »
    In case anyone else is reading this thread and feeling underaccomplished, if it helps, I'm 33 and don't own a house or have anything remotely approaching a deposit.

Don't feel underaccomplished - people have different priorities!

If it helps you feel any better I was 36, and then we managed to lose the house (#62).

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭whatever99

I’m 41, and just starting to look now, will have enough saved for a deposit on a 2-bed apartment or small house in a few months. Should have started saving properly years ago. Buying by myself. Approved in principal for a 27-year mortgage. This thread is depressing me!

How did some of you buy a house with no mortgage at such a young age?! Fair play.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭Robson99

24 in the 90s...20 yr mortgage done and dusted...not easy but would dread to have to face into it again

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Decoda

26 in 1998......built on a site we bought from a local farmer...20 year mortgage so all finished now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Shamboo1801

shesty wrote:
    Surprised you found a bank to do that!

I bought mine at 45 with a 25 year mortgage. Only a year in but couldn't be happier knowing it's my own.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,180 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

27 when I bought my first
    30 when I bought my second
    39 when I bought my third
    43 when I bought my fourth
    46 when I bought my fifth
    50 when I bought my sixth
    55 when I bought my seventh

and today I sent the cash to purchase my eighth.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,356 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

It was easier in a way 30/40 years ago the tricky bit was a having a job plus people got married and settled down quicker family all done and dusted by 30 for the great majority, does not mean our generation were better just different.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Musefan

27, bought in nov of 19

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭TheBody

35 years old when I bought my house. My wife and I are overpaying the mortgage and hope to have it paid off in around 4 more years. That would be around 7/8 years from start to finish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭Winning_Stroke

Beasty wrote: »

Yeah, ok Johnny Ronan.

I bought my first, and hopefully only, house last year at the age of 33 (herself was 29). 11% deposit and mortgage repayments are a fairly low percentage of our monthly takehome. Was hesitant at the start, wanted to get a feel for our income/outgoings but am now comfortable to start overpaying a smidge.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭lainey_d_123

mariaalice wrote: »
    https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/property/couple-save-13000-six-months-17671526

It the uk, but interesting and with help to buy they only needed a 5% deposit.

19 and 20 and buying a house.

I can't stand how people like this refuse to acknowledge their luck, good fortune and help from others.

They were only able to do this because they lived rent free with friends and family for over 6 months, something lots of people simply cannot do. I also would have been able to save half of 13 grand at 18 if I hadn't needed to pay rent and bills and other housing/adulting related costs, so why are they acting like it's some kind of major accomplishment? It's basically just benefitting from people's charity, which is fine if people are happy to give it, but it's hardly 'going it alone', is it?

They also benefitted from a government scheme which has only been around a short time and won't be around in the future, another stroke of luck, and also from being from an area where there were easily able to get to work while staying with these family/friends. Yet they sit there and think they're just better than people who didn't have all these leg ups.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Beasty wrote: »

Any jobs going? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 16,246 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

33 in 2008 with a 35 year mortgage.

Few months later and I'd have probably got it for half the price I paid for it.

I've been over paying it when I can afford it so 18 years left on it now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,142 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

36, 3 years ago.

Advertisement