Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plans for the turkey, ham or something else.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭trashcan

Actually, I used bone the leg, remove the sinews and stuff with sausage meat and sage and onion stuffing. Himself loved it, but I wasn’t too keen. I don’t bother any more. Too much trouble.

That's why I got the butcher to do it :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Frozen turkey "should" be over today. Weather permitting.. He had forgotten as I suspected but all is now well... such a good man the manager here...Along with all the fruit and vegetables and other Christmas goodies... Could not run to a Christmas cake . Not well enough to cook one so ordered a choc Yule log.. ;)

Very "laid back " (!ie perforce abed much of each day ) these days so after this afternoon closing the doors on the outside world.... All the cleaning done gradually so all is well; will put outside decorations and lights up nearer the time. MUCH nearer the time..

Not seen ANY lights etc and it is rather refreshing and meaningful . Never thought i would think like this! lol.... Age brings wisdom.

It is so very intensely dark out here

• Graces7 wrote: »
    Frozen turkey "should" be over today. Weather permitting.. He had forgotten as I suspected but all is now well... such a good man the manager here...Along with all the fruit and vegetables and other Christmas goodies... Could not run to a Christmas cake . Not well enough to cook one so ordered a choc Yule log.. ;)

Very "laid back " (!ie perforce abed much of each day ) these days so after this afternoon closing the doors on the outside world.... All the cleaning done gradually so all is well; will put outside decorations and lights up nearer the time. MUCH nearer the time..

Not seen ANY lights etc and it is rather refreshing and meaningful . Never thought i would think like this! lol.... Age brings wisdom.

It is so very intensely dark out here

I hope Elsa doesn’t scupper your delivery.

I hope Elsa doesn’t scupper your delivery.

:confused: That was last night! Millpond calm now...ferry is on etc...

Turkey now in residence; poor critter is frozen solid!

Some things missing from list eg Roses, and I ordered 2 pots of cream one for trifle the other for Irish cream liqueur with the recipe given by the chef at the dingle Skellig... only one pot came and really there is no contest is there
    ;)

exhausted so sleep. have a grand evening …

• Advertisement

• Graces7 wrote: »
    Turkey now in residence; poor critter is frozen solid!

Some things missing from list eg Roses, and I ordered 2 pots of cream one for trifle the other for Irish cream liqueur with the recipe given by the chef at the dingle Skellig... only one pot came and really there is no contest is there
    ;)

exhausted so sleep. have a grand evening …

Great news. I don’t think that you’ll be missing too much in the Roses! They ain’t what they used be!

Great news. I don’t think that you’ll be missing too much in the Roses! They ain’t what they used be!

I still love them! They have been my Christmas treat since sweets came off ration after the War! Ah well! Lots of fruit and vegetables on special. Even got my prescription renewed and a bag of coal... now I can start decorating the dwelling.. tomorrow..

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Local_Chap

Going with a boned and rolled turkey this year, anyone have any tried and tested recipes?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,031 ✭✭✭✭beertons

I'm having my uncle in for Christmas dinner today. Just chopping the veg. Put the ham in the slow cooker this morning with coke. Boned and rolled turkey is brined in buttermilk, with carrots, onions, celery and garlic. It's out in the shed. Will roast it soon, and use the drippings and chicken stock to make a kind of white gravy sauce. Sprouts, diced carrots and mash, with little sage & onion stuffing balls from Tesco. Yum.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,041 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Are you using nigellas recepie for the ham?, i doubt we'll make it until Xmas morning.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,031 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Yeah, that turkey sauce wasn't the best. Wont be doing that again anyway.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,089 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Doing my veg/herb shopping tomorrow - the local greengrocer is open Sunday for the occasion. Meat is ordered in for pickup Monday, butcher open til 8. Will save the queues on Christmas Eve.

Have reached the point where luckily I can afford to pay the premium (tiny in the case of the greengrocer; far from tiny for the butcher) for the knowledge that they probably aren't screwing the producers over quite as hideously as the supermarkets are; but if you can't you can't.

I might have to do the vegetarian main for 1/3rd of those attending; which my sister was going to bring but might not be able to - which will be an interesting last minute drop in! We do a fair few veg*n meals ourselves but none of them are really Christmas Day suitable.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,041 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Butcher was saying a big increase in vegetarians this year, one man came in looking to get meat for 1 Christmas day as the women had all stopped eating it to help save the planet. Glad to have a Pãthé loving 5yr old in the house, don't ever want to end up in that man's situation, nearly brought a tear to my eye.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭SlipperyPeople

question for people who have their christmas dinners at lunch between 1-4.

what time do ye stick on the bird?

christmas eve night?

obviously depends on the size of the turkey but we usually have a decent sized one that goes on around 6 am christmas day. We don't eat our dinner until 7-8. granted that's also a choice with other things going on and the bird is cooked a decent time before we sit down.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I'm hoping to get my turkey today- off to do the 'big food shop'... yelp!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭Tammy!

Posy wrote: »
    I'm hoping to get my turkey today- off to do the 'big food shop'... yelp!

Good luck! I'm doing mine tomorrow :)

I still haven't decided what to do yet. Tbh I feel like beef this year. We had beef two years ago so I think I'll make it as a tradition every second year for a change.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

Was meant to do the big shop this morning but I kept on sleeping instead. Why i’m so exhausted, I don’t know.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

We're having pork neck filled with wild mushrooms from Poland,peppers onion crushed garlic with a mix of herbs and spices,
    Then rolled and slow roasted occasionally basted with polish hunny mustard.

I usually get a 4.5 kg turkey. This year I'm just getting a turkey crown, but the only one Aldi had was 2.4 kg.
    Now I'm having 'I won't have enough turkey' anxiety.

On the plus side, the Big Shop is done!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,679 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

Posy wrote: »
    I usually get a 4.5 kg turkey. This year I'm just getting a turkey crown, but the only one Aldi had was 2.4 kg.
    Now I'm having 'I won't have enough turkey' anxiety.

On the plus side, the Big Shop is done!

How busy were the shops? I procrastinated too much, so tmw early it's looking.
    Once I get parking and a trolley it will be fine (hopefully)

• Advertisement

How busy were the shops? I procrastinated too much, so tmw early it's looking.
    Once I get parking and a trolley it will be fine (hopefully)

Christmas Eve morning first thing is normally a good one I’ve found the past couple of years. I was leaving Tesco last year around 9:00 and there wasn’t even a big pile around.

I was in Tesco about 5pm and it was alright- not too busy.
    The drinks aisles were the most packed, unsurprisingly!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,679 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

Christmas Eve morning first thing is normally a good one I’ve found the past couple of years. I was leaving Tesco last year around 9:00 and there wasn’t even a big pile around.

That's abit close to the wire even for me :)

Last year it was Sunday at 5 and not too bad, expected worse.

I've gone early on the 23rd and got followed back to the car for my trolley :o

Just hope tmw is ok, just really need milk and veg, meat is the butchers so hopefully I'll survive :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

question for people who have their christmas dinners at lunch between 1-4.

what time do ye stick on the bird?

christmas eve night?

obviously depends on the size of the turkey but we usually have a decent sized one that goes on around 6 am christmas day. We don't eat our dinner until 7-8. granted that's also a choice with other things going on and the bird is cooked a decent time before we sit down.

6am until near 5pm?! What temp are you cooking at? I’ve done a massive bird in nowhere near that time! I use an in oven meat thermometer with two probes for it

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,089 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Dunnes Maynooth today was suffering from being relatively small/tight - its a full size Dunnes wedged in to a smaller size than usual. Difficult to navigate the aisles and you had to queue with the trolleys sideways

Only need to collect the meat and get the makings of the fryup from the shop at the end of the road now; everything else is bought.

L1011 wrote: »
    Dunnes Maynooth today was suffering from being relatively small/tight - its a full size Dunnes wedged in to a smaller size than usual. Difficult to navigate the aisles and you had to queue with the trolleys sideways

Only need to collect the meat and get the makings of the fryup from the shop at the end of the road now; everything else is bought.

That car park is vile at the best of times too.

That car park is vile at the best of times too.

Weirdly today there was no exit queue - once you got on to the main aisle you were out in one light sequence - but getting around and getting spaces was horrible. People were stopping in the aisles if they saw you going near your car with a trolley so you could be stuck for minutes at a time.

Last couple of years I've been used to a five or six light sequence exit, or worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,077 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

our turkey is never dry.
    i baste it every 20 mins or so. and its perfect, if i do say so myself:)
    and from tesco. always happy with it.

L1011 wrote: »
    Weirdly today there was no exit queue - once you got on to the main aisle you were out in one light sequence - but getting around and getting spaces was horrible. People were stopping in the aisles if they saw you going near your car with a trolley so you could be stuck for minutes at a time.

Last couple of years I've been used to a five or six light sequence exit, or worse.

I hate anyone doing that when I’m packing my shopping in, though I can understand it in a way.

• Advertisement

our turkey is never dry.
    i baste it every 20 mins or so. and its perfect, if i do say so myself:)
    and from tesco. always happy with it.

I’d be raging if my turkey wasn’t fairly dry as that’s the way I’ve always had it I love it that way. As the mother always said, if I wanted moist turkey I’d have bought a couple of chickens.
    That’s why there’s no brining, no basting, no upside down cooking, no butter, etc for me.

Advertisement