Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Boards Christmas Spotify Playlist?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Mollyb60 wrote: »
    Who suggested Straight No Chaser - The 12 days of Christmas? It just came on for me and it's freaking awesome!

I love it, I always sing along with it, I eagerly wait for the Africa riff part each time, i love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

That song ruined Africa for me, because I can't hear Africa without thinking of/humming 12 Days of Christmas instead! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,550 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

Loughc wrote: »
    I love it, I always sing along with it, I eagerly wait for the Africa riff part each time, i love it.

Yes! That was the part for me where it went from 'this is a good song' to 'holy sh1t this song is amazing'.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,902 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Few suggestions if that's OK.

In the the bleak midwinter - Paper Aeroplanes

I want a hippopotamus for Christmas - Gayle Peevey

Christmas Calls - Skinny Lister

Christmas Day - Squeeze

Last Christmas - Jimmy Eat World's version

Step into Christmas - Elton John

Apologies if any are already on the playlist.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭emmagination

Brilliant idea, I'm gonna follow that playlist now!

My nominations are A Spaceman Came Travelling by Chris De Burgh, and Power of Love by Frankie Goes to Hollywood. (I hope they count as Christmas songs, I know they technically aren't but they've always felt like they are to me :))

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

Great idea. I LOVE Joni Mitchell’s River

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Last Christmas - Jimmy Eat World's version

I've included that version ONLY because I have been told if playing Whammageddon, cover versions don't count. So we're good. :p

Brilliant idea, I'm gonna follow that playlist now!

My nominations are A Spaceman Came Travelling by Chris De Burgh, and Power of Love by Frankie Goes to Hollywood. (I hope they count as Christmas songs, I know they technically aren't but they've always felt like they are to me :))

I've put in Spaceman because that's totally a Christmas song, I dunno about Power of Love though... what do folks think?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

I've put in Spaceman because that's totally a Christmas song, I dunno about Power of Love though... what do folks think?

Not a Christmas song but always reminds me of Christmas....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

Wasn’t the power of love slowed down for one of those Christmas adverts?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Nrty4kt2KKA

• Advertisement

I've included that version ONLY because I have been told if playing Whammageddon, cover versions don't count. So we're good. :p

Haha, thanks, and thanks for the playlist, it's excellent.

Loughc wrote: »
    Not a Christmas song but always reminds me of Christmas....

well if our Supreme Leader says it's ok... in it goes! :pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,120 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Postgrad10 wrote: »
    Wasn’t the power of love slowed down for one of those Christmas adverts?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Nrty4kt2KKA

Used for 'the journey' by John lewis. Sung by Gabrielle Aplin.

Not technically a christmas song but has a christmas video & was a christmas No.1... (the FGTH version)
    I personally would include it on a christmas playlist. Lovely song.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 21,358 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Baby it's cold outside, the original version

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭emmagination

Hurray!!! :D

ELM327 wrote: »
    Baby it's cold outside, the original version

That's already in the list.

for anyone who wants to suggest a song, we're up to 66, so feel free to have a look at the list here, lots of the usual suspects are already in there. I also decided to put in the first version of tracks suggested that might have a few different covers, just so there's no arguments about versions, and so we don't have 10 different versions of "A Winters Tale" or something!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭secondrowgal

Oooh! I’m following 😀

Blue Christmas - Johnny Cash
    Adeste fidales - Pavarotti
    Stay another day - East 17

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Masala

I know we have O Holy Night in already.... but the Aaron Neville version has to be considered one of the BEST renditions ever!!

So.... any chance of considering adding same and maybe voting closer to the 25th to see which O Holy Night to stay,,!!!!

It’s prob best you don’t give me any power... it’ll just go straight to my head.

gxX2qGx.jpg

“When A Child is Born” Sinead O’Connor and Danny O’Reilly.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Sorry, I didn't realise people were waiting for me to reply. :p

I will caveat this by saying that I despise Bob Dylan. DESPISE.

But! I love his Christmas song so I would like to suggest 'Must be Santa'

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

My little girl loves this song - they are learning it for their Christmas Carol service with the creche. Given how the parish choir picked hymns that no one knew for last years service, this one will probably be sung with gusto by everyone :D

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Cyclepath

https://youtu.be/eIbha-783eQ

Great track, but all of them on Low's Christmas album are excellent.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Frank Kelly's Countdown to Christmas is brilliant! My little boy insists on listening to it every night before bed :pac:

How about soundtrack songs?

It feels like Christmas - Muppet Christmas Carol. If its on Spotify, it's a great festive song.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

Was Ryan Sheridan - Walking in the Air added? It's a lovely version.

I'm only now discovering that Steeleye Span and Steely Dan are NOT the same band. I always thought that Steely Dan sang that All around my hat. I do love the Gaudete song on the playlist.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Masala

Enjoyed this..... so who/what is next recommendation????

PS... how do you load a Playlist??? I am making a Playlist for myself for 'By the Pool' when I am on Holidays in Tenerife or somewhere HOT!

Something to tap your feet to!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

How about a “songs that remind us of Christmas that aren’t necessarily Christmas songs playlist” ?

I always imagine myself tapping to “i’ve got rhythm” .

Advertisement