Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seems like a good deal on coal....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭coolkidirish

physioman wrote: »
    What's the price difference between what you are getting and the equivilant in cork

In my area they only sell Smokeless Coal and the largest bag would be 20KG. Depending on where you buy it it would be €15-€25 for the 20KG bag. I know Topaz even sell 12.5KG bags of Smokeless for €10.85, whereas The Coal Warehouse have 40KG bags of Smokeless for €12 (another €2.60 approx for delivery per bag).

Even if you check out the Co-op webpage you see their prices...

They charge €370.00 for 20 X 40Kg Bord Na Mona Premium Polish Coal which works out at €18.50 per bag, whereas the Coal Warehouse's version is €8 per bag (€2.60 then for delivery)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭physioman

In my area they only sell Smokeless Coal and the largest bag would be 20KG. Depending on where you buy it it would be €15-€25 for the 20KG bag. I know Topaz even sell 12.5KG bags of Smokeless for €10.85, whereas The Coal Warehouse have 40KG bags of Smokeless for €12 (another €2.60 approx for delivery per bag).

Even if you check out the Co-op webpage you see their prices..

They charge €370.00 for 20 X 40Kg Bord Na Mona Premium Polish Coal which works out at €18.50 per bag, whereas the Coal Warehouse's version is €8 per bag (€2.60 then for delivery)

That is a lot cheaper alright. Was asking my da about them he actually bought a few bags off them 3 weeks ago cuz he lives near them. They have an outlet in clontibret, co. Monaghan.
    He wrote back to me saying

"The smokeless i was buying was 17-50 for 40kgs bag, this cost 14-40 for 40kgs so happy enough. Will try a bag of nuggets next time to mix with the bags i got as they are harder to burn. They cost only 12 a bag"

physioman wrote: »
    That is a lot cheaper alright. Was asking my da about them he actually bought a few bags off them 3 weeks ago cuz he lives near them. They have an outlet in clontibret, co. Monaghan.
    He wrote back to me saying

"The smokeless i was buying was 17-50 for 40kgs bag, this cost 14-40 for 40kgs so happy enough. Will try a bag of nuggets next time to mix with the bags i got as they are harder to burn. They cost only 12 a bag"

Ahhh ya, the Smokeless stuff is the most expensive. The 5 bags of Smokeless I got are for my old fella also, I got the smoky for myself as it is cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

P_Cash wrote: »
    Best coal is black diamond, pinky/red front on the bag. It costs around 17-18 per 40kg bag reputable supplier, usually a good co-op.

The carbon tax has done nothing but bring cheap terrible dangerous s#1t coal to the market.

Not interested in the expensive black diamond coal but the cheap bargain alert coal, I want to know the best Smoky coal that they sell.

Not interested in the environment thanks, cant afford to be interested in it, I need to heat my home for the cheapest price possible, when we all get rich again (!!) I'll consider the environment.

vicwatson wrote: »
    Not interested in the expensive black diamond coal but the cheap bargain alert coal, I want to know the best Smoky coal that they sell.

Not interested in the environment thanks, cant afford to be interested in it, I need to heat my home for the cheapest price possible, when we all get rich again (!!) I'll consider the environment.

Champion Premium Coal (€8 per bag) is their best smoky coal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭P_Cash

vicwatson wrote: »

Lol. Who mentioned the environment.

Best coal is best coal. Nothing to do with environment.

Well i guess you can't do better than 40kg of champion above for €8

What on earth it could be like for 8€ is beyond me.

Is it for open fire, I've heard of coal flying out of the fire. Cheap coal like. So be careful

Then you have the whole thing of how well does a half a bucket of coal burn, and for how long.

I get 10-13hrs from a harmony 1 stove with a 3/4 full bucket of coal in it without touching it.

I'm sure there is coal that just sits there, or needs a storm to push it along and it's burnt in 2 hrs

Even if you check out the Co-op webpage you see their prices...

Don't compare bord na Mona polish coal with a cheap coal. Same as comparing a bridgestone Tyre for 130 versus a Tyre for 50.

I think ur just pointing out the cheap deal though. Which indeed it is bargain coal

• Registered Users Posts: 6,126 ✭✭✭screamer

a bridgestone Tyre for 130 versus a Tyre for 50.

You'd be very surprised if you knew where they were all manufactured!

Coal is hit and miss, it depends what you get, a pallet of stuff that is hard as stones to burn or flies up the chimney is a lot to waste money on to find out......

screamer wrote: »
    Coal is hit and miss, it depends what you get, a pallet of stuff that is hard as stones to burn or flies up the chimney is a lot to waste money on to find out......
    I agree, for my first order I went in with 4 others to be on the safe side and test it out. We got 5 bags each and it works out at approx €50 each for 5 x 40kg bags so not too bad a loss if it isn't great stuff.

I know one fella in Tralee who used them and he got the €7 a bag stuff and said "I ordered it Wednesday and it came today not bad considering time of year we got 1 tonne of the amber flame it's small coal but warm and easy burning"

I'll give ye my verdict on the €8 a bag stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭Big Lar

Am very tempted with this, will hold off till next week till the verdicts are in

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭eezipc

I'm tempted as well but I'll wait and see what the verdicts are.
    Two winters ago I ordered a pallet of coal from a merchant in Connemara somewhere and it was awful. There was no heat from it at all and I just ended up with loads of ash.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

eezipc wrote: »
    I'm tempted as well but I'll wait and see what the verdicts are.
    Two winters ago I ordered a pallet of coal from a merchant in Connemara somewhere and it was awful. There was no heat from it at all and I just ended up with loads of ash.

But then Coalisland & Clontibret are miles away from Connemara:D:D:D. And I'm pretty sure the same merchant has totally different coal this winter;).

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Inspector Dhar

I placed my order last Wednesday & my pallet was delivered on Thursday. I got 12 bags of Champion & 13 bags of Polish premium. I've been using it in my Stanley & it's 100%. Perhaps more ash than I was getting from the stuff I was paying €18.50 a bag for, but as I got this coal for an average of a tenner a bag, I'm not complaining.

I placed my order last Wednesday & my pallet was delivered on Thursday. I got 12 bags of Champion & 13 bags of Polish premium. I've been using it in my Stanley & it's 100%. Perhaps more ash than I was getting from the stuff I was paying €18.50 a bag for, but as I got this coal for an average of a tenner a bag, I'm not complaining.

Just out of curiosity, which county did you have it sent to? Trying to estimate when mine might come :) thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭Lanshane

Just wondering what the difference between the Premium Polish and the Champion is? I use a Drewmet Polish boiler designed for buring coal and heats the house well but goes through the turf pretty quick so looking to get good coal to mix in it? What would ye recommend? Would a bag or two of their slack be worth getting I wonder, just to throw a few shovels in to dampen it a bit and let it simmer for hours? I'm not interested in smokeless, just good old dirty hot stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Inspector Dhar

Mine was delivered to County Meath. I think the delivery was about €53-ish. As somebody posted earlier, the process is that you contact Act Pallet Delivery, pay them the delivery fee. They send an order to the Coal Warehouse in Tyrone. The Coal Warehouse then phone you, you pay them over the phone and arrange a delivery date. Sounds complicated, but it's not. As for the difference between Premium Polish and Champion?.... €2 a bag! Oh and one bag's white, the other ones yellow, and for the life of me I can't see the difference between them. Somebody told me that I should have got slack, but tbh, that sounds too complicated. I light my cooker when I get home from work. I lurry the coal onto it, I'm cosy and warm for the night. I still have glowing embers in the morning, so the kitchen is nice and toasty, off I work to go, come home and light the cooker. Repeat. :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,217 ✭✭✭deandean

Interesting thread!

Anyone who's taken a delivery: Do they have a forklift at the back of the truck to unload the full pallet? Or do they carry each bag up your driveway?

deandean wrote: »
    Interesting thread!

Anyone who's taken a delivery: Do they have a forklift at the back of the truck to unload the full pallet? Or do they carry each bag up your driveway?

I was told over the phone by the couriers they unload the whole pallet with a forklift for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

interesting ... anyone from galway get some?

Hhmmm.

I think this may be worth trying out. Just forked out €36 on two bags of Staffords 40kg bags.

Could be a right saving to be made

• Advertisement

interesting ... anyone from galway get some?

Not yet. But I may well do tomorrow! €63 delivery apparently. Not sure about lead times but I'll find out as soon as in contact courier...its definitely worth a punt I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

stick up a post with your feelings after your delivery if you would thanks

63€ delivery,
    What's it per 40kg bag then in your shed?

P_Cash wrote: »
    63€ delivery,
    What's it per 40kg bag then in your shed?

Depends on what bags you get. I'm thinking of 5 bags of slack at 6 each, 20 champion at 8 each and delivery of 64 or so, works out at 10.19 per bag in my shed. Not bad at all...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭moodrater

That black dimond sounds like its got petcoke in so avoid if you're thinking of putting it in a stove.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

moodrater wrote: »
    That black dimond sounds like its got petcoke in so avoid if you're thinking of putting it in a stove.

How do you figure that out?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

I was told over the phone by the couriers they unload the whole pallet with a forklift for you.

they would use the tail-lift and a hand pallet truck , possibly electric

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭moodrater

How do you figure that out?

Their description says its an extra hot blend, to product semi smokeless thats usually acomplished with petcoke. Best ask if you're thinking of buying it.

moodrater wrote: »
    Their description says its an extra hot blend, to product semi smokeless thats usually acomplished with petcoke. Best ask if you're thinking of buying it.

40% petcoke to be exact!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 craughan

I ordered this last week, 25 bags of premium polish for e8 a bag, about 240 delivered.
    The pallet arrived next day delivery as it is a courier company who brings it.
    The coal seems to be better quality than I was previously getting manly because the pieces are bigger and hold more energy per piece.
    I spoke to the owner of O'Neills in the north who supply the coal and got a nice family history of over 100 years of being a coal wholesaler and I can say for sure there is nothing to worry about the quality because he gave me a list of his customers in the south and they are already probably bagging the coal you are paying 20 euro for. I've already given away half the pallet to my neighbors, i can see people making a few quid on this if they want to organize a neighborhood delivery for 12 euro a bag even.

Advertisement