Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

26-09-2011, 21:04   #16
littlehedgehog

We have Christmas dinner (anything but turkey - generally beef or pork) on Christmas eve then my family go to mass, and I pass out on the couch.. When they come home, it's chocolates and tea and then bed.
Christmas day, we get up about 8/9, and open presents.. Then breakfast, and the parents go visiting while I make lunch. About 5, we all pile in the car as the whole family descend on my aunt's house about 6pm, because it's next to my granny's and then she can see us all
On steven's day, we go to another aunts, and my dad drops my brother and I home.. Where we've developed another tradition over the past few years - take away and watching movies that we got for Christmas awesomeness! I love Christmas
Advertisement
26-09-2011, 21:11   #17
milli milli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love2love View Post
I get all the Santa things ready
Don't you mean, you help Santa to get things ready??!!

I'm really loving reading peoples traditions.
My Christmas eve is quite chilled out. I rarely have any shopping to do. Shopping Christmas Eve is a nitemare so I avoid it if I can.
I usually finish wrapping pressies at some stage during the day. I'll meet friends for a drink around 5 or 6 but don't stay out late. I'll usually go up to Mums for a bite to eat and to give her a hand, but she usually has things under control. Then I get ready for midnight mass and go there with my Auntie. My 2 brothers used to join us, but they stopped going a few years ago.
Then I go home and stay in Mum and Dads. We might watch the end of a Christmas film. I like to go to bed early, so I can be up early Christmas morning! (don't like to miss anything!)

But the last two years my plans were changed with the weather. I stayed in my brothers house out the country, so had to leave early Christmas Eve to avoid the worst of the weather, so had to forgo meeting friends.

Also a tradition that Mum started when we were teenagers was to open one pressie Christmas Eve, so I do that too!
(3) thanks from:
27-09-2011, 02:17   #18
Posy
Warm and cosy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love2love View Post
I love Christmas Eve more than Christmas day!
Me too!
I sometimes find the anticipation of something is often better than the something itself and Christmas Day sometimes falls under that category!!
(2) thanks from:
27-09-2011, 08:23   #19
leahyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Posy View Post
Me too!
I sometimes find the anticipation of something is often better than the something itself and Christmas Day sometimes falls under that category!!
Totally agree! I looooove Christmas Eve - it's just the whole build up, knowing everyone is heading home for Christmas or out shopping for the last bits before travelling home - gets me all excited! It's not that I don't like Christmas Day - I do, mainly for the dinner (!) but the run up to Christmas is more exciting I guess!
(2) thanks from:
27-09-2011, 14:10   #20
Loughc

Quote:
Originally Posted by leahyl View Post
Totally agree! I looooove Christmas Eve - it's just the whole build up, knowing everyone is heading home for Christmas or out shopping for the last bits before travelling home - gets me all excited! It's not that I don't like Christmas Day - I do, mainly for the dinner (!) but the run up to Christmas is more exciting I guess!
I know the feeling! Even the few weekends before Christmas Eve, are great craic, watching how busy the town is, seeing everyone getting in better and better form as they get closer to the holidays. And then the chaos of Christmas Eve itself is an event in itself.

I love aswell just how peaceful Christmas Day is itself, every year I keep forgetting how eerily quiet it is outside, it's like the whole country stops for the day, I love it!
(3) thanks from:
Advertisement
27-09-2011, 14:24   #21
tmc86

This thread has managed to make me very christmassy even with the warm weather outside today!

I finish up work on christmas eve for a half day and get the train down to the parents. Last year was beautiful weather and snow eveywhere and I was walking through town amongst the hustle and bustle with all me pressies!

I get home unpack, wrap the presents then head downstairs for some wine with the family and dinner. then we head up to mass and have a few drinks in the local afterwards and bump into some old faces!

home to freshly made beds and sleep till about 9am. up then and shower small brekkie and some bucks fizz followed by presents.
(5) thanks from:
27-09-2011, 14:30   #22
PhantomShrimp

Christmas Eve Rules.

Every year I watch Transformers Animated Movie, open gifts with my OH. Get in the car and drive home. I drop her off first and spend a little time with her family, then head home and spend time drinking coffee and catching up with my family. Next year we'll be married so probably new traditions.

A new-ish tradition over the past three years is taking the dog for a walk in the snow after I drive down. Hopefully it won't take 5 and a half hours to get from Dub to Cork this year

CHRISTMAS!!!!!
27-09-2011, 16:21   #23
DUBACC

Quote:
Originally Posted by leahyl View Post
Aaaw that's lovely :-) i love watching the news at 6 on RTE as well cos they always show "Santa heading off from the North Pole" ahem! Lol! I love that RTE have kept that tradition!

Must admit i always watch that too. It used to be on the radio at about 5.20pm where someone would ring Santa and he'd talk about setting out from the North Pole. I remember hearing that as young kids and was amazed!! Ah the innocence......
(4) thanks from:
27-09-2011, 16:25   #24
neilthefunkeone

Grandparents come up and we get a big chinese dinner in.. Then im off to Molloys in Tallaght for drinks with all the friends..

Not living at home this christmas but im sure its gonna be mostly the same!

Cant beat it!
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
27-09-2011, 16:31   #25
Tabnabs

Best day of the year Christmas Eve, bar none!!

I'm very lucky to have a Scandinavian background so we celebrate two Christmases. On Chrismas Eve the family gathers in my parents house for the first Christmas dinner, this is usually a traditional Scandinavian dish including on occasion reindeer (don't tell the kids about the meat they're munching away on!). Then all sit around the christmas tree which is stock piled with presents from our extended family abroad and one person is nominated to dish out the gifts. This usually takes over an hour and is a wonderful family time. Then we have christmas cake, cookies and chocolates and sit there browsing through our gifts.

Then we get up on christmas day, head to the inlaws and do it all again!
(4) thanks from:
27-09-2011, 16:37   #26
DUBACC

Cristmas Eve is definitely the best day of the lot! Usually spend part of it with my gran, who's 93 now - she is more christmas-mad than any of us!!

Then home and make dinner while watching 'Its a Wonderful Life' - such a magical christmas film. After that we usually have a look around the movie channels as there is always one dreadfully cringy, yet lovely christmas film on. Up to 10 mass then and back to the wife's family home up the road. Big gang of us there having a few beers and raiding the freshly cooked ham for a sambo!! The sight of her chasing her fully grown sons around the kitchen always makes me laugh!!!

This year might change though as we have a new baby daughter - ive already bought the santa suit so cant wait!!!
(4) thanks from:
27-09-2011, 19:25   #27
Hufflepuff

Love love love christmas eve Get the turkey and ham on in the afternoon and prep all the veg and stuff for christmas day. Always have a take away for dinner then into new jimjams and watch Muppets Christmas Carol . This thread is making me feel sooooooo christmassey
(3) thanks from:
27-09-2011, 20:18   #28
milli milli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabnabs View Post
I'm very lucky to have a Scandinavian background so we celebrate two Christmases. On Chrismas Eve the family gathers in my parents house for the first Christmas dinner, this is usually a traditional Scandinavian dish including on occasion reindeer tofu!. Then all sit around the christmas tree which is stock piled with presents from our extended family abroad and one person is nominated to dish out the gifts. This usually takes over an hour and is a wonderful family time. Then we have christmas cake, cookies and chocolates and sit there browsing through our gifts.

Then we get up on christmas day, head to the inlaws and do it all again!
I love this (apart from the reindeer-eating). I would love to partake in a Scandinavian Christmas.
27-09-2011, 22:38   #29
leahyl

Delighted everybody is enjoying the thread and it's making you all feel that extra bit more Christmassy!! ;-)
(2) thanks from:
27-09-2011, 23:00   #30
liv26

Great Thread!
I usually prep everything for the dinner first, then not too much pressure christmas morning. In the evening i meet my boyfriend and we exchange gifts as usually dont see each other christmas day. The go to mass and come home and watch christmas father ted.

Cant wait now
(2) thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion