Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

26th December - Stateside!

• 16-12-2010 10:18am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭

We call this St. Stephen's day.

In the UK they call it Boxing day.

Has the 26th of December got a name of its own in the States ?

Just a silly question really :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭dolphin city

back to work day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭littlebitdull

Its getting like that here. I noticed a lot of the shops are only closed for Christmas day itself and are open 24th & 26th.

Its getting like that here. I noticed a lot of the shops are only closed for Christmas day itself and are open 24th & 26th.

ya, but everyone is back to work in the states - offices, banks, etc.
    and they make such a big deal of xmas - you see their xmas trees thrown out on stephens day, as if xmas never happened. they love money.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,573 ✭✭✭lord lucan

ya, but everyone is back to work in the states - offices, banks, etc.
    and they make such a big deal of xmas - you see their xmas trees thrown out on stephens day, as if xmas never happened. they love money.

I think it's more to do with xmas being the lesser holiday when compared with Thanksgiving. Thanksgiving is Huge in the states,easily comparable to how we celebrate xmas. Many people have a long weekend for it and it's the busiest travel week of the year.

lord lucan wrote: »
    I think it's more to do with xmas being the lesser holiday when compared with Thanksgiving. Thanksgiving is Huge in the states,easily comparable to how we celebrate xmas. Many people have a long weekend for it and it's the busiest travel week of the year.

Agree, Thanksgiving is a major one day holiday and everyone celebrates this holiday - again tho, they only have the one day off for Thanksgiving - the Thursday - if you want the Friday off you must book it off, and you must use it from your very measly annual leave holidays. Also depending on where you rank in the employment you might never get that friday off. What good is a one day holiday in the middle of the week. Not worth the effort. Part of what makes Christmas great here is the slouching around watching christmas crap films, munching on roses and leftover turkey in front of a roaring fire. Oh ya, and the americans big thing is a christmas ham for their main Xmas dinner - no turkey - they are sick of it from thanksgiving - although they could have some prime rib also. nah, not for me. not even close to a good christmas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭lonestargirl

back to work day.
    Very true, I keep calling funny looks for talking about St. Stephen's day.
    Agree, Thanksgiving is a major one day holiday and everyone celebrates this holiday - again tho, they only have the one day off for Thanksgiving - the Thursday - if you want the Friday off you must book it off, and you must use it from your very measly annual leave holidays.
    Almost everyone I know gets this Friday off automatically. I'm sure it's different if you work in retail for example as it's a big shopping day.

Very true, I keep calling funny looks for talking about St. Stephen's day.

Almost everyone I know gets this Friday off automatically. I'm sure it's different if you work in retail for example as it's a big shopping day.

stock markets are opened also - once the stock markets are open it means that most financial areas have to open also - retail is definitely open. The Friday after is not an official holiday so anyone that does get this off as a regulated holiday in the states is very lucky indeed.

Advertisement