Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Things you just "don't get"?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Electric Sheep

Most men don't want to give up on life after having kids and most that do disappear are put under pressure just as that poster has said. I've yet to meet a man who won't go for a scatter of pints because he wants to "live a grown up life" whatever that is.

I can say that kids has not had a major impact on any of my peer group. Nights our are still regular, still at least once a week for many. Obvioulsy not the same freedom but far far from the disappearing of the face if the earth some describe and I refuse to accept people actually enjoy this not ever getting out and meeting friends etc.

I suspect that life changed a great deal more for their wives after kids. Expect a spate of divorce amongst your friends. Most women wise up after a few years of putting up with a man whose "life does not change" after having children, as they realise that getting rid of the big child improves their life vastly. Beware, maybe she will get half of "the land" that you brag about so often.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

The local Costcutter displaying a sign that no alcohol to be consumed in the shop or within 100 yards when there's a pub directly across the road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 478 ✭✭Millicently

I suspect that life changed a great deal more for their wives after kids. Expect a spate of divorce amongst your friends. Most women wise up after a few years of putting up with a man whose "life does not change" after having children, as they realise that getting rid of the big child improves their life vastly. Beware, maybe she will get half of "the land" that you brag about so often.
    That's always been a problem in a lot of relationships with kids, the woman thinks the man will grow up once they have a child but some men seem to think that having kids shouldn't impact on the social life that they are used to. Those are usually the bitter men that end up posting nasty crap online about women and moaning that they only get access visits to their kids a few times a month.

The wife’s are out with their own friends regularly on alternate nights and many nights we are all meeting up in couples and kids are minded. Also as mentioned mid week nights out (Thursday in particular) are popular among those with kids where I work anyway. Many of us are away with work a lot too so that makes midweek nights out make zero difference as you are away anyway.

No doubt there is a reduction in social life but it doesn’t have to be this no out or “I get out a few times a year” stuff you hear from some. If it’s what they want that’s just fine but for others who want to maintain a fairly active social life that’s very possible too.

Citizens Assembly next meeting about gender roles instead of something practical like improving our fishing industry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Purgative

I don't get why the thread about the bloke, who creatively wrote, about boning his cousin, just disappeared.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Redneck Reject71

Purgative wrote: »
    I don't get why the thread about the bloke, who creatively wrote, about boning his cousin, just disappeared.

It's a blessing in disguise,heh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Redneck Reject71

Why it is near impossible to source collard greens.

vriesmays wrote: »
    Citizens Assembly next meeting about gender roles instead of something practical like improving our fishing industry.

Definitely want a load of randomly selected people to work on that fishing industry, yep.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,526 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Purgative wrote: »

Was there references made to “former” members?

Or perhaps someone’s old posts were “linked” to and may have caught them out with a bit of spoofing?

The tide is turning…

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

people who walk around in the winter in ripped jeans,
    do they not feel cold?
    Political reporters in the uk, we have proportional representation voting ,try and understand how it works,
    before you write articles about SF winning the election .

lawred2 wrote: »
    I wouldn't be up for a scatter of pints.. I'll have a few and head home. Wouldn't want the next day ruined with a hangover. Not fair to the kids.

If you haven’t the fear for at least 4 days afterwards then it wasn’t a real night out.

Why it is near impossible to source collard greens.

Saving you from yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

lawred2 wrote: »
    I wouldn't be up for a scatter of pints.. I'll have a few and head home. Wouldn't want the next day ruined with a hangover. Not fair to the kids.

Super Dad/Mum/Other, if its ok with you I might add I've kids and as much as I love them, they've changed my life immeasurably in so many positive and not so positive ways I couldn't give a flying f*ck if the odd blow out doesn't mean me involving their activities the following day in any way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Gretas Gonna Get Ya!

That's always been a problem in a lot of relationships with kids, the woman thinks the man will grow up once they have a child but some men seem to think that having kids shouldn't impact on the social life that they are used to. Those are usually the bitter men that end up posting nasty crap online about women and moaning that they only get access visits to their kids a few times a month.

So don't have kids then... simples! :p

Problem solved, danger averted. ;)

Or do have kids... do what you want... but accept that your life (that you probably spent years painstakingly building and perfecting) no longer belongs to you! Once you have kids, your kids own you. You are their slave!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Tik toks can be amusing and some of the songs are quiet good,
    better than the songs played on the radio.
    And some of those people can dance very well.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,324 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

I don't get what tik toks are.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

riclad wrote: »
    Tik toks can be amusing and some of the songs are quiet good,
    better than the songs played on the radio.
    And some of those people can dance very well.
    I don't get what tik toks are.

They're short videos similar to vine videos which Twitter had 5 years ago.

In reality, there's about 14 or 15 different videos done over and over by the thousands of different 'content creators' with about 10 songs used to provide background music.

To be a good dancer as outlined above, you need a pair of yoga pants and a tube top. That's it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭CtevenSrowder

Tiktok is so ****e. All that stuff died when they got rid of vine.

Things I don't get. People that care about peoples politics when it comes to dating.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,268 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Dating

I've never gone on a date. I just don't get it - First Dates just does't make any sense to me.

The chances of going on a blind date and that that person would coincidentally be the one you were always looking for to me is extremely unlikely.

They strike me as people who are desperate to be in a relationship so they get together in the knowledge they'd never find anyone otherwise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,266 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Super Dad/Mum/Other, if its ok with you I might add I've kids and as much as I love them, they've changed my life immeasurably in so many positive and not so positive ways I couldn't give a flying f*ck if the odd blow out doesn't mean me involving their activities the following day in any way.

Ok. Good for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭dubstarr

How do you know that they don't get out and meet people? Often people get bored with the same old same old with the same old faces and they just move on. Instead of being blunt and just saying that they aren't interested in hanging out with you or going for pints they just make excuses and blame the wife just as the wife makes excuses with her friends and blames the husband.

I know thats true.Hes blamed me and i have blamed him when not wantingto go out.

Plus we can always blame the kids,win win situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Tiktok is so ****e. All that stuff died when they got rid of vine.

Things I don't get. People that care about peoples politics when it comes to dating.

Can you not see how this would be an indicator of compatibility. It is be no means a guarantee that if you support the same party that you will be a perfect match for match other but if you are strongly opposed in terms of ideology in this area, it's a highly likely that you will not be suited to each other. With respect to a long term relationship that is.

dubstarr wrote: »
    I know thats true.Hes blamed me and i have blamed him when not wantingto go out.

Plus we can always blame the kids,win win situation.

I don’t know many people, if any that are not chomping at the bit to get out on the beer at any opportunity so making excuses like the above is not familiar.

The same chart songs from the 1980s on the radio and compilation CDs. There are loads of other good songs and bands from that decade that didn't make the top 40 that no-one hears anymore.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,292 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I don’t know many people, if any that are not chomping at the bit to get out on the beer at any opportunity so making excuses like the above is not familiar.

Honestly, and this is not a criticism, but from reading your posts over a long period of time it seems to me that your life and that of the people you know are vastly different to my personal experience. So taking your life experience as a norm would not be wholly accurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,526 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Honestly, and this is not a criticism, but from reading your posts over a long period of time it seems to me that your life and that of the people you know are vastly different to my personal experience. So taking your life experience as a norm would not be wholly accurate.

I dunno, I’ve got kids and while I still get “out” it’s definitely not as much as I used to. I look forward to nights out far more these days.

I used to be going on “stags” a lot back in the day. It actually got to the point where I’d see them as an inconvenience. I’ll tell you this, I would murder a weekend away like that now. Starting on the Friday night and only stopping on the Sunday evening. Nothing beats it.

I’d skip the wedding.

The tide is turning…

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

vriesmays wrote: »
    The same chart songs from the 1980s on the radio and compilation CDs. There are loads of other good songs and bands from that decade that didn't make the top 40 that no-one hears anymore.

And albums that only radio dj's seem to like. Do they teach this in dj college or something. Pet Sounds by the Beach Boys for instance, every dj ever gushes about what a masterpiece it is, pure genius etc.
    Everyone in the real world just thinks it's a pile of meh.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

Politics.

Also, people who vote who tell non voters never to be complaining.

I don't vote, and people often tell me I've no right to complain because of it.

To this day I have no idea what it is they think I complain about that would warrant me to vote for some sort of change.

For example: I hate the sound of kids screaming in a housing estate for hours on end. I hate excessive sunlight and I hate the heat during summer. I also can't stand certain kinds of music............. should I shut up about all of that because I don't vote???

What am I whining about? They seem to know something I don't.....

The ironic thing is, though, is that voters do more complaining than me from what I've seen. I have never heard anyone ever say "sure our government is great!" in the 16 years I've lived here.... Same with the UK, too.....

I'm quite a pleasant person to talk to altogether, as well. So I don't know where this opinion comes from that I "have no right to moan" when they haven't a clue who I am. Even worse when it's people who know me....

I don't vote because I genuinely don't give a shıte. I do me and focus on my own day to day. I get up, I go to work, I come home, I eat dinner, I play video games, I watch a movie, go to sleep, rinse and repeat.

If you want to vote, good for you. I hope that whatever it is you want in life goes well for you. But me, I'm happy with what's in front of me.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 873 ✭✭✭Casey78

The outpouring of grief when a celebrity dies.

Advertisement