Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Recommend an artificial Christmas tree

• 02-12-2019 5:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭

Looking to replace our tired old artificial tree (I don't like real trees).

Happy to spend a few quid on it as I see this as a kind of long-term investment but not seeing anything that I like. I want to actually see the tree so I don't want to buy online.

Can anyone recommend anywhere I should go to get something decent for reasonable value?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

BraveDonut wrote: »
    Looking to replace our tired old artificial tree (I don't like real trees).

Happy to spend a few quid on it as I see this as a kind of long-term investment but not seeing anything that I like. I want to actually see the tree so I don't want to buy online.

Can anyone recommend anywhere I should go to get something decent for reasonable value?

Thanks

The Nebraska tree in homestore and more for €129 is excellent. Looks better at home in proper lighting too.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

corsav6 wrote: »
    The Nebraska tree in homestore and more for €129 is excellent. Looks better at home in proper lighting too.

That’s the one I have and I can’t recommend it highly enough. It’s still as full as the day we got it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,865 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

BraveDonut wrote:

There is a brilliant Christmas shop opens in a garden centre in Goatstown every year. Near the Goatstown Inn. Haven't been there for three years but they always have a huge selection of artificial trees. All shapes and sizes. Website is christmasland.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭CrazyChick18

Another one for the Nebraska tree from home store and more we got the 7ft last year and it’s just so nice, so full looking. The branches are all the separate one but it’s so worth it ����

• Registered Users Posts: 9,999 ✭✭✭Caranica

I had the Nebraska and loved it but the single branches were a pain. Replaced it this year with a pre-lit tree from M&S but I'm not binning the Nebraska, keeping it for a year when I've more helpers!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,143 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I'd really recommend taking time if you can to find one that suits you.
    I've seen a few trees this year and they're disappointing dispite a larger price tag.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,770 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Plenty on sale at the moment on Amazon. If you're with Amazon prime some are even offering free delivery.

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭The chan chan man

The best i’ve seen is in johnstown garden centre but they’re 4-500 quid!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

Nebraska here too. Still love it, still full after a few years. Only thing I don't like about it is that it can be hard to get some decorations on the branches - but that's mostly because I have no patience.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

CheerLouth wrote: »
    Nebraska here too. Still love it, still full after a few years. Only thing I don't like about it is that it can be hard to get some decorations on the branches - but that's mostly because I have no patience.

You and I have a similar problem with that tree and patience so haha.

Have you tried the squeeze and release technique?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭BraveDonut

The best i’ve seen is in johnstown garden centre but they’re 4-500 quid!

Is this the one off Rochestown avenue?

Took a look at the Nebraska in Homestore and it looks really good.
    Just couldn't decide on the 7ft or the 8ft - so went home and took another look at the space. Will probably go with the 8ft.

I have one more place to check but I will probably go with that

Thanks for all of the replies

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭thebiglad

Is this the one off Rochestown avenue?

I would think its on the N7 at Johnstown (next to Naas) - lovely garden centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭polydactyl

CheerLouth wrote: »

Same tree same issue but I got some hooks in Home store and more which have helped

Loughc wrote: »
    You and I have a similar problem with that tree and patience so haha.

Have you tried the squeeze and release technique?

I have and I still end up muttering under my breath :P

• Registered Users Posts: 9,999 ✭✭✭Caranica

polydactyl wrote: »
    Same tree same issue but I got some hooks in Home store and more which have helped

Those hooks are great. You can also get decorations into the middle of branches with them which help to make the tree look even more beautiful

Caranica wrote: »
    Those hooks are great. You can also get decorations into the middle of branches with them which help to make the tree look even more beautiful

This must be what I need! Must look the next time I'm in!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

polydactyl wrote: »

Brilliant, thank you so much. We had a hard time getting the decorations on the tree because it's so stiff but the hooks are ideal.
    This is our first year with the tree but it looks absolutely brilliant. Always had real trees for the look and smell but this thing just pops the Christmas vibe off it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭peteb2

Bought a new tree this year. 7.5 foot Sherwood on little woods. €240 or so. Wife was very impressed.

I ended up going with this:
    https://www.christmasland.ie/product/newberry-spruce-artificial-christmas-tree/

I did look at the ones on homestore and more and also thought they were very good.

thanks for all the help

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,641 ✭✭✭54and56

I ended up going with this:
    https://www.christmasland.ie/product/newberry-spruce-artificial-christmas-tree/

I did look at the ones on homestore and more and also thought they were very good.

thanks for all the help

Do you know if they have these in 6.5ft?

Ended up pushing the boat out altogether and got this one - https://www.christmasland.ie/product/newberry-spruce-pre-lit-artificial-christmas-tree/

Straightforward to set up and looks amazing.

May not look as amazing when I see it in black and white on the bank statement :-(

It better last the next 20 years minimum!!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

That looks incredible. :D

Sure, it's pricey, but worth the investment if you love it and have it a long time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭2013Lara

7.5ft newberry 190euro in the home and garden place in Celbridge. Arboretum have the same tree. Amazing tree. Fab quality and in three pieces not branch by branch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭2013Lara

2013Lara wrote: »
    7.5ft newberry 190euro in the home and garden place in Celbridge. Arboretum have the same tree. Amazing tree. Fab quality and in three pieces not branch by branch

Same tree as posted above except no lights and a hell of a lot cheaper. 70 quid for lights in homestore.

2013Lara wrote: »
    Same tree as posted above except no lights and a hell of a lot cheaper. 70 quid for lights in homestore.

Unlit version was €239 in Christmasland Goatstown, lit version €449. Steep I know but it'll last forever. After 7 years I'll be in profit vs the real trees we used to buy :-)

I wonder how much they lit version is in Celbridge?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

That place in Goatstown has nice stuff

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

The place in Milltown also does artificial trees. Christmas Trees Ireland, I think they're called. We got one there after Christmas a few years ago, had been 450 but reduced to 225. Its 7ft and looks quite similar to the Newberry spruce ones. It's very easy to set up and put away and the quality is amazing. We went through a good few cheapo fake ones over the years but I think with the artificial tree, fork out for the best quality one you can get.

Toots wrote: »
    The place in Milltown also does artificial trees. Christmas Trees Ireland, I think they're called. We got one there after Christmas a few years ago, had been 450 but reduced to 225. Its 7ft and looks quite similar to the Newberry spruce ones. It's very easy to set up and put away and the quality is amazing. We went through a good few cheapo fake ones over the years but I think with the artificial tree, fork out for the best quality one you can get.

Solid advice. I know i paid full RRP and could have saved €70 or so by tipping down to Celbridge if I'd known about it, but the guys in Christmasland (Outdoor Scene the rest of the year) were super supportive when i needed replacement parts for a BBQ I bought off them a coupler of years ago so i don't begrudge them their profit.

The tree whilst expensive is definitely worth it. Well built, easy to set up and almost all visitors think it's real. The only giveaway is that it's a bit too perfect/symmetrical to be "real".

If you can get one half price snap it up.

Happy Christmas everyone.

• Advertisement

Just drove past Christmasland in Goatstown and their 50% sale starts Jan 5th.

Advertisement