Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

28-05-2018, 13:58   #16

[QUOTE=Powerhouse;107112655]
Quote:
Originally Posted by danganabu View Post

I bet with my head not my heart, try it And yes I am a loyal supporter and was there yesterday and was there at the final whistle and will be there again the next time we go down for out inevitable beating. Days like yesterday are hard to stomach but its what make the victories all the sweeter. And I saw enough positives over the league campaign to suggest we are in a stronger position this year than where we were last year.

As an aside I am intrigued by your reasoning for downgrading Tipp to 4th/5th team in Munster, on your own admission (incorrectly but how and ever) they had a depleted team out with only one of their starting forwards and you were fully expectant that KK would win comfortably so on what basis are you reassessing their ranking in Munster and what exactly have any of the other 4 done to overtake them??[/QUOTE]

You were "intrigued" by my downgrading of Tipperary (a few months ago) to not being in the top 3 in Munster and any explanation I offered was rubbished by you. I hope that your intrigue is now satisfied.
You may have shot the load a bit soon there lad, you waited a good few months to post your 'bookmark' if only you had waited another 35 mins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happyilylost View Post
Ger Loughnane also said Tipperary were finished and should take up gardening. I wouldn't read much into what they say. And I'd love to see Murphy and Skehill in the poc fada because I'd be backing Skehill. Maybe the analysts were trying to make things a bit intriguing for the second half as the first was so poor. Wind was in it (always is in Salthill) but I didn't think it was anyway near a five or seven point swing.
Loughnane also claimed that Tipp had 3 defenders over 30 years of age and that they had no U21's on their panel........the man is stealing a living with rubbish cliches and regular non truths but gets way with it because everyone thinks he is a great laugh
(3) thanks from:
Advertisement
28-05-2018, 14:12   #17
Joe_ Public

Quote:
Originally Posted by danganabu;107121128

[B
Loughnane also claimed that Tipp had 3 defenders over 30 years of age[/B] and that they had no U21's on their panel........the man is stealing a living with rubbish cliches and regular non truths but gets way with it because everyone thinks he is a great laugh
Was only watching it this morning, he actually said 4. I could forgive someone thinking Paidi Maher had turned 30 by now but, still, where on earth was he getting the other 2? Tipp dont have 4 defenders over 30 on the entire panel, yet alone yesterdays starting 15.
Thanks from:
28-05-2018, 15:01   #18
greenspurs

[QUOTE=danganabu;107121128]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerhouse View Post

You may have shot the load a bit soon there lad, you waited a good few months to post your 'bookmark' if only you had waited another 35 mins

Loughnane also claimed that Tipp had 3 defenders over 30 years of age and that they had no U21's on their panel........the man is stealing a living with rubbish cliches and regular non truths but gets way with it because everyone thinks he is a great laugh
Does anyone pay attention to him anymore ? Hes like the eamonn Dunphy of the GAA now......
28-05-2018, 15:45   #19
C__MC

Just dont get how kilkenny forwards (age regardless) cant' be more dangerous up front. Cork/Clare/Limerick all young forwards who have made their mark and lit up the championship in recent times
28-05-2018, 16:21   #20
savannahkat

Quote:
Originally Posted by C__MC View Post
Just dont get how kilkenny forwards (age regardless) cant' be more dangerous up front. Cork/Clare/Limerick all young forwards who have made their mark and lit up the championship in recent times
That is easy to answer. They are playing amongst each other so it would be harder to look bad than look good such is the quality of defending in Munster.
Advertisement
28-05-2018, 16:33   #21
Topcat32

Quote:
The counter argument to that is the likes of Conor Cooney who has had the experience of being subbed on an off within about 20 minutes in big championship games. Fast forward a few years and he is taking charge of games and killing teams off.

I would say that we do need to look at the strength and conditioning work done with the players from 18 to 21 as we seem to off the pace compared to a lot of the other counties in that area. The age profile of the senior panel and what they have been exposed to this year should help with that.
Thanks from:
28-05-2018, 16:48   #22
Hawkeye6

Quote:
And these young Cork/Clare/Limerick forwards have won how many senior or minor All-Irelands this century between them?

In the recent National League in Division 1A.
Kilkenny scored 4-106 (118)
Clare scored 5-95 (110)
Cork Scored 4-93 (105)
Of course Limerick in 1B did score 8-114 (138), thanks to 1-25 against Laois and 3-21 against Antrim, teams that are not competing in the Provincial championship.

I'm sorry I've forgotten what your point is.....
Thanks from:
28-05-2018, 16:52   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye6 View Post
And these young Cork/Clare/Limerick forwards have won how many senior or minor All-Irelands this century between them?

In the recent National League in Division 1A.
Kilkenny scored 4-106 (118)
Clare scored 5-95 (110)
Cork Scored 4-93 (105)
Of course Limerick in 1B did score 8-114 (138), thanks to 1-25 against Laois and 3-21 against Antrim, teams that are not competing in the Provincial championship.

I'm sorry I've forgotten what your point is.....
His point was silly but you using league scoring stats as a counter is equally daft to be honest.

FWIW Reid and Walsh would walk on to any team in the country, same applies to a fully fit Richie Hogan.
(2) thanks from:
28-05-2018, 17:11   #24
Irish Beef

Can any of ye remember the 2012 Leinster final, Final score Galway 2-21 Kilkenny 2-11, A very similar score to yesterdays match also Galway played a very physical in your face type game on that occasion also, Yesterdays match was even a bit closer and was in Galway. I'm not saying we'll beat them if we meet again but I wouldn't be too down over it. I never expected to win yesterday, the Wexford match was always going to be the more important one and is a must win match. Obviously we have a lot of work to do but I think we'll come on for that match, I'm a little surprised we didn't try a few short puckouts  do instead of dropping high balls down on top of our struggling half forward line all day. At least we have the week off to recover and hopefully Galway will beat Wexford to simplify the situation
Advertisement
28-05-2018, 17:22   #25
minty81

Why wasn't Hogan sprung in last 15 min?
Thanks from:
28-05-2018, 17:25   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by minty81 View Post
Why wasn't Hogan sprung in last 15 min?
Yesterday was pretty much meaningless in the bigger scheme of things, bigger tests lay ahead and if he is not 110% it would be foolish to risk him, if that was a knockout game or if Dublin had of held on against KK you can bet your bottom dollar he would have been summonsed but yesterday was not the time.
Thanks from:
28-05-2018, 17:25   #27
dastardly00

Why is there such a need to make excuses that we lost yesterday...

The pitch didn't suit us...
The wind changed...
We have a few injuries...
It was still a close match with 10 minutes to go...
It's okay because in 2012 they beat us in Leinster then we won later in the year...

Galway were clearly the better team yesterday, and they didn't even need to be in top gear to do so. We need to just acknowledge that.
28-05-2018, 17:47   #28
Irish Beef

If we acknowledge that will you be happy? There's no one denying that, there the all-Ireland champions after all, you think its going to be an easy job beating them in their own back yard. Everyone knew a win here was going to be unlikely. We have a very young inexperienced team and we still have work to do.
Thanks from:
28-05-2018, 18:19   #29
Steve
Life is hard, deal with it.

mod note: New thread started as the last one was over the 10k post limit.
28-05-2018, 18:39   #30
brookville

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topcat32 View Post
Quote:
The counter argument to that is the likes of Conor Cooney who has had the experience of being subbed on an off within about 20 minutes in big championship games. Fast forward a few years and he is taking charge of games and killing teams off.

I would say that we do need to look at the strength and conditioning work done with the players from 18 to 21 as we seem to off the pace compared to a lot of the other counties in that area. The age profile of the senior panel and what they have been exposed to this year should help with that.
There strenght and conditioning coach is suppose to be excellent but they are a few years ahead of us in that regard and are probably the biggest team in the country but as we know you cant bulk up over night our lads are only starting off hopefully we'll see the benefit in the next couple of years.
We've struggled against dublin and now galway where both times their half back lines dominated but galway made us pay yesterday.i think we missed a trick not putting wally and tj on both wings because murphy had no where to go with puck outs and it was obvious we were getting cleaned here but we'll have to change things up going foward.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion