Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

20-12-2019, 16:10   #1
Noteworthy
Verified representative

Which roads and junctions are the most dangerous for cyclists?

We'd like your help with an investigation into the most dangerous roads and junctions in Ireland for cyclists. With the increase in the number of accidents involving cyclists recently, we want to analyse the last ten years of official data to see collision and fatality rates on the country’s roads, so any help you can offer would be really appreciated!

We'd love your help in getting the word out there about this investigation proposal. You can find out more about the project and support it here: https://www.noteworthy.ie/proposal/c...and-62-Nov2019

We're an investigative platform called Noteworthy which was set up by TheJournal.ie. The idea is that we crowdsource ideas for stories that are not currently being covered by the media, and crowdfund in order to carry them out.

Let us know your ideas below or email information@noteworthy.ie - Also if you could share this, that would be brilliant.
Attached Images
File Type: png bicycle_blackspots_4.png (214.6 KB, 851 views)
Advertisement
23-12-2019, 00:34   #2
work

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noteworthy View Post
We'd like your help with an investigation into the most dangerous roads and junctions in Ireland for cyclists. With the increase in the number of accidents involving cyclists recently, we want to analyse the last ten years of official data to see collision and fatality rates on the country’s roads, so any help you can offer would be really appreciated!

We'd love your help in getting the word out there about this investigation proposal. You can find out more about the project and support it here: https://www.noteworthy.ie/proposal/c...and-62-Nov2019

We're an investigative platform called Noteworthy which was set up by TheJournal.ie. The idea is that we crowdsource ideas for stories that are not currently being covered by the media, and crowdfund in order to carry them out.

Let us know your ideas below or email information@noteworthy.ie - Also if you could share this, that would be brilliant.
I hope is OK to ask but why are you looking for money? Journal.ie is supposed to be a contemporary online newspaper but here they are looking for crowd funding.
Sorry if I don't understand or get how things work but this looks like a scam to the gullible to me.
If you want to answer this question just ask it without the sponsored link and crowd funding?
(4) thanks from:
23-12-2019, 11:29   #3
beauf

Your problem is that cycling accident data is not collected in enough detail or volume to make any meaningful analysis of it. As far as I'm aware.

Therefore you are collecting opinions. To do that you'd have have some way of collecting that, by clicking on a map or something and looking at heat spots etc. Again you'll struggle to get enough data and the quality of it.

Not least because the media constantly vilifies cyclists as a means to create cheap click bait. Often misrepresenting stats. So there is an issue of credibility to over come. Especially as you've given no personal credentials to reassure people of why this would be any different.
(2) thanks from:
24-12-2019, 01:41   #4
eeeee

This has already been done by the Dublin Inquirer, who hasn't consistently supported cycling for the duration of their publication, and manage to gather stories and data, and pay their journalists without having to ask for data and stories for free whilst simultaneously putting the hand out asking for funding (crowdfunding link in call out ).
They also have a recognised and accessible publishing platform.

I have big issues with this post and call out in the cycling forum, a place where people freely and anonymously discuss post about cycling.
It now feels like we're being watched, and our experiences commodified for free to generate 'click fall's for a publishing platform no one has ever heard about that will not pay their journalists to research their stories.
(4) thanks from:
24-12-2019, 23:16   #5
Enfilade

Noteworthy was already called out for the BS it was in the feedback thread ages ago. It's begging bowl journalism.
Advertisement
25-12-2019, 00:55   #6
Murph_D

Well, given that the Journal and Boards have the same corporate parent, it's not surprising to see the post. I'm not too sure about Noteworthy's reputation, but ultimately I don't have a problem in principle with micro-funding of journalism (arguably that's what the Guardian are partly doing, for example), and obviously there are huge problems with 'free' (ie advertiser-funded) platforms where users give away vast amounts of valuable information and data for far less than it appears to be worth. It's the per-story funding that is a bit odd.

As to the information looked for, can't help. Poster above says no stats kept on bike accidents - can that really be true? Assume these incidents - serious ones involving injury - are reported to Gardai, so there may be information there, surely, regardless of how easy it is to extract.
25-12-2019, 01:45   #7
Seth Brundle
Error: 404 Personality Not Found

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noteworthy View Post

If you want to write about the perils of cycling in Ireland then maybe why not try a novel idea which won't require funding, and go out on a bicycle for a week or two?
You can't write an article about cycling with any belief if you haven't experienced it for yourself.
25-12-2019, 02:27   #8
beauf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murph_D View Post
...Poster above says no stats kept on bike accidents - can that really be true? Assume these incidents - serious ones involving injury - are reported to Gardai, so there may be information there, surely, regardless of how easy it is to extract.

Thats not what I said. What I actually said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beauf View Post
...cycling accident data is not collected in enough detail or volume to make any meaningful analysis of it. As far as I'm aware....
Look at the sources of this data...best they can do, and fair play to them.
https://irishcycle.com/collisions/

Theres been a few scandals around Garda data not least...
https://www.rte.ie/news/politics/201...a-problem-cso/

AFAIK hospital data doesn't distinguish between a kid on a road or a kid in park or their garden. Problems like that.
Thanks from:
26-12-2019, 09:33   #9
Murph_D

Quote:
Originally Posted by beauf View Post
Thats not what I said. What I actually said.

Look at the sources of this data...best they can do, and fair play to them.
https://irishcycle.com/collisions/

Theres been a few scandals around Garda data not least...
https://www.rte.ie/news/politics/201...a-problem-cso/

AFAIK hospital data doesn't distinguish between a kid on a road or a kid in park or their garden. Problems like that.
Fair enough, apologies for misrepresenting your comment.

All data has limitations - good journalist or researcher would always take these into account. Or collect new data.
Advertisement
26-12-2019, 11:49   #10
beauf

There's been a good few giant threads about the media misrepresenting cyclists. I've seen then group cyclists and motorcycle stats to make cycling seem worse. Because there are more drivers than cyclists so click bait has to be anti cycling.

Beside which this had been done before...

https://m.independent.ie/life/city-c...-31385186.html

It's not like we'll see any action soon.

https://irishcycle.com/2019/12/10/li...-and-coverage/
27-12-2019, 09:42   #11
Effects

Quote:
Originally Posted by work View Post
I hope is OK to ask but why are you looking for money?
These days it’s not a case of whether someone should be looking for crowdfunding, it’s whether the public are willing to pay it. And they often are.
27-12-2019, 11:36   #12
beauf

This might have some better reception if it wasn't entirely focused on "cycling is dangerous" and perhaps balanced with the benefits of cycling
Thanks from:
27-12-2019, 11:45   #13
beauf

Anyone seen this yet...

https://irishcycle.com/2019/12/27/st...safer-streets/
27-12-2019, 12:09   #14
Kaisr Sose

I also have a problem with this thread, its placement and its commercial angle.

Data relating to all this is available throughout the cycling threads without having to place a sponsored post seeking the same. Its lazy, or worse.

Official data on the dangers of cycling in Ireland and decent stats on incidents are not accurate. And that may be a decision itself Perhaps the place to start the hunt for data is from CSO, AGS, RSA etc? If you are not happy about the quality of information you get, write the article along those lines. Call it for what it is, a cover up to maintain the official view that Irish roads are cycle friendly and everybody involved are doing great things to encourage people to cycle and make it safe.

Anything less, does no regular cyclists any good at all.
(3) thanks from:
27-12-2019, 19:58   #15
magicbastarder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enfilade View Post
Noteworthy was already called out for the BS it was in the feedback thread ages ago. It's begging bowl journalism.
this was a post i made elsewhere about this concept:

i do agree that i'm not 100% comfortable with the readership being the primary director of what topics the journalists focus on.

however, this sort of calculation probably does happen out of sight in newsrooms anyway. these news organisations know what drives clicks (because that's what the likes of the journal depend on), and know which stories are juicy and will be read and commented on.
you can see it with the irish times (one of the organisations i've a subscription to, one of their cheaper options); you can see how their online presence on social media sites differs from their print edition, and how they drive page views that way.
but when i get the saturday print copy of the IT, i immediately throw out the sport section, and barely touch one or two others. so in a way, i'm paying (in part) for a service i'm not using. the concept here is the polar opposite of that phenomenon, focus exactly on what the readership want.

the interesting thing about this concept is that it changes the monetisation of these stories from a reactive one, as per above, to a proactive one. instead of writing 10 stories and turning a loss, so to speak, on eight of them, try to place yourself in a position when you're writing a story knowing from the outset that it's paid for itself.
and i would be horrified to think anyone (especially the noteworthy crew) would consider this to be the future of journalism; it might complement 'normal' journalism, but should not be a replacement for it.

as mentioned, this may well fail, because the concept may not have enough malleability to address the shortcomings. and they'll probably get it wrong before they get it right, but such is life.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion