Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Free physical Revolut card

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Skippy along

Your right!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

Your right!!

Yeah, I just checked. In my Google Pay app I have 2 cards linked in the payment tab as payment cards, Revolut and PTSB but only the Revolut is linked as a Google Pay option on the first tab using NFC as PTSB doesn't support Google Pay. They made it a bit confusing.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Yeah That's what I thought too.. But bought a kids app for €3.99 on Google app store and took the money from my revolut card...

That's not Google Pay though, that's just you having your Revolut card assigned as the payment method in the Google store.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

only the Revolut is linked as a Google Pay option on the first tab using NFC

You have the Revolut Mastercard?

Hurrache wrote: »
    You have the Revolut Mastercard?

Yeah, I have mine 18mths, paid for it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,790 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Sorry, just to reconfirm...

If I want to buy something from the UK in GBP, what's the best way to get money on the card from an Irish (EUR) account?

If I have a EUR active account on Revolut, should I also add a GBP account on the "add account" tab, or is that only relevant to people who have UK bank accounts?

I added a GBP account on the above tab to test it, but I don't have any GBP bank account. When I go to TOP UP and select the GBP currency to add and put in the amount I want in GBP (£329), it says the fee will be £4.23. That's 1.28%

I'm guessing if doing it through the EURO/EXCHANGE method, there's no way to fix the price, so if I see on the exchange tab, that £329 is currently €369.74, and it changes every second or so up and down, then I probably need to deposit about €375 to cover any fluctuation between time of deposit and time of payment, and possible fees?

Am I right in thinking that?

This is made a lil more complicated that this is a business transaction and I'll need the amount taken from the account to reflect the amount charged, so I can't just deposit €400 and have €25 odd left over to use another time as it would complicate accounts too much.

cormie wrote: »
    Sorry, just to reconfirm...

If I want to buy something from the UK in GBP, what's the best way to get money on the card from an Irish (EUR) account?

If I have a EUR active account on Revolut, should I also add a GBP account on the "add account" tab, or is that only relevant to people who have UK bank accounts?

I added a GBP account on the above tab to test it, but I don't have any GBP bank account. When I go to TOP UP and select the GBP currency to add and put in the amount I want in GBP (£329), it says the fee will be £4.23. That's 1.28%

I'm guessing if doing it through the EURO/EXCHANGE method, there's no way to fix the price, so if I see on the exchange tab, that £329 is currently €369.74, and it changes every second or so up and down, then I probably need to deposit about €375 to cover any fluctuation between time of deposit and time of payment, and possible fees?

Am I right in thinking that?

This is made a lil more complicated that this is a business transaction and I'll need the amount taken from the account to reflect the amount charged, so I can't just deposit €400 and have €25 odd left over to use another time as it would complicate accounts too much.

Top up in Euro using your Irish card and pay in sterling using your Revolut. Add a Euro it 2 to cover fluctuations, you get the exact exchange rate at the moment

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 153 ✭✭Frunchy

Is the free card offer still on?

Thanks folks, so there's no way to tell Revolut "I want £329 to be available on my account for a purchase of £329" and it does the exchange then and there and what shows up on the bank is the exact price charged for that exchange at that time, no?

I need to use the euro amount, add a bit extra just incase, and then either do the exhange from the euro amount to GBP, or just make the purchase, without doing the exchange, and Revolut will take the equivalent £329 Euro value plus fees at the time of processing?

So if I tried deposit £329 under the GBP account with the £4.23 fee, it wouldn't work as I don't have a UK bank account, or?...

Or is £4.23 a lot more than what I'd pay in fees depositing by EUR?

Yeah, I wonder would I get £4.23 fee from Revolut PLUS whatever my bank charges, or would Revolut be putting it through as a EUR transaction I wonder?! Maybe I'll try it :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭rustledjimmies

For existing customers that already have a physical card, this promotion also extends to adding another free virtual card to your account. I started with a virtual & physical Mastercard one last year and just added a virtual Visa one too. Not sure I'll ever need it but I'll take it while it's going just in case.

Ok, very strange...

I have added two cards from two different bank accounts, but both with the same Irish bank, both with that banks logo on the card.. Both visa debit..

Revolut recognises one as the correct bank, the other it's saying it's a Royal Bank of Scotland card :confused:

Furthermore, if I put in the GBP amount of £329 to deposit... with the "Royal bank of Scotland" card, you see the £4.23 fee, but with the other, no fee displayed, it only displays "minimum topup is £10"

:confused:

For existing customers that already have a physical card, this promotion also extends to adding another free virtual card to your account. I started with a virtual & physical Mastercard one last year and just added a virtual Visa one too. Not sure I'll ever need it but I'll take it while it's going just in case.

That's great, have MasterCard just added a virtual visa

Ok, very strange...

I have added two cards from two different bank accounts, but both with the same Irish bank, both with that banks logo on the card.. Both visa debit..

Revolut recognises one as the correct bank, the other it's saying it's a Royal Bank of Scotland card :confused:

Furthermore, if I put in the GBP amount of £329 to deposit... with the "Royal bank of Scotland" card, you see the £4.23 fee, but with the other, no fee displayed, it only displays "minimum topup is £10"

:confused:

I tried a test top up with the card that doesn't show any fees and it gave me a warning:

"To avoid bank fees you should always top up in the card's currency. Your card seems to be in eUR. Do you still want to Top up in GBP?

Yes, continue

No, top up in EUR"

FFS, so because the card from the account i want to make the purchase from, has Royal Bank of Scotland on it on Revolut for some reason, and comes up with the FEE, whereas the other one with the proper bank name has no fee shown, I was going to just make the purchase from that and see what happens...

I went to top it up and it says I've reached my daily topup limit, even though I've verified both the card and my account now :confused:}

This is proving more hassle than it might be worth.

FFS, so because the card from the account i want to make the purchase from, has Royal Bank of Scotland on it on Revolut for some reason, and comes up with the FEE, whereas the other one with the proper bank name has no fee shown, I was going to just make the purchase from that and see what happens...

I went to top it up and it says I've reached my daily topup limit, even though I've verified both the card and my account now :confused:}

This is proving more hassle than it might be worth.

You need to get on to Revolut support

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭camz09

Hi, a question: As someone who'll be in London for a few days next week and planning on using my Revolut card (pay for stuff, maybe withdraw cash, top up Oyster card), do I need to do anything on my account? For example, do I need to top up the balance on a GBP currency or will my EUR account will do and do the proper conversion when I use my card? Am I saving anything if I use a GBP budget?? Thanks for the help!

camz09 wrote: »
    Hi, a question: As someone who'll be in London for a few days next week and planning on using my Revolut card (pay for stuff, maybe withdraw cash, top up Oyster card), do I need to do anything on my account? For example, do I need to top up the balance on a GBP currency or will my EUR account will do and do the proper conversion when I use my card? Am I saving anything if I use a GBP budget?? Thanks for the help!

Top up on the app in Euro using your normal bank card and let Revolut do the conversion. One thing to note is that if you buy something in sterling it will only take the full amount from whatever balance, it will try sterling first, then Euro. It will not take some in sterling and the balance in Euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭rustledjimmies

Think of all transactions as local currency. You top up with whatever currency your source account is in (e.g. Euro) and then when you spend money, anywhere in the world, you're spending in the local currency there. You don't have to worry about maintaining a foreign balance too.

One caveat on that though is that weekend conversion rates are higher than when the market is live so you *may* actually want to transfer € to £ during the week first. You don't have to do this but the rates are better during the week.

Also Amazon have a system where they pre authorise a £1 transaction first, then take the full amount and refund the pre authorization so your need to have the balance to cover both

• Advertisement

You need to get on to Revolut support

Tried on the live chat and got a notification saying they are dealing with a high volume of enquiries and to look at the FAQ :(

So I tried again and no luck, then I checked the card details and added the eircode... I tried top up again and this time it worked :confused: not sure it's related, as I had already topped up with the same card before... it also did the same thing of saying there was a problem, making it look like the payment couldn't go through, but it did go through.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭andydurnin

I ordered my free card but ended getting charged for it. is this supposed to happen. would I be able to get my money back?

One caveat on that though is that weekend conversion rates are higher than when the market is live so you *may* actually want to transfer € to £ during the week first. You don't have to do this but the rates are better during the week.

Hmm that's interesting..I'm arriving Sunday and would need to top up my Oyster card. Do you think I'll be saving much if I put, I don't know £25-50 on my Revolut card in advance?

Hmm that's interesting..I'm arriving Sunday and would need to top up my Oyster card. Do you think I'll be saving much if I put, I don't know £25-50 on my Revolut card in advance?

You always need money on your Revolut in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭jkelly85

Going to New York in Jan, will these Cards be good to use over there?

You always need money on your Revolut in advance.

Oh I know and yes I do and it's in Euros. Was wondering if I'll be saving a few quid if I top up the GBP currency option and use it for transactions on the weekend due to the rate difference

Oh I know and yes I do and it's in Euros. Was wondering if I'll be saving a few quid if I top up the GBP currency option and use it for transactions on the weekend due to the rate difference

Yes, a little, the exchange rate goes up slightly at the weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 9,403 ✭✭✭TheChizler

OmegaGene wrote: »
    It’s 1.5% more I think for weekend conversions

0.5% for major currencies. It's really not worth worrying about unless you're making huge purchases, and it tends to confuse newcomers a lot so I prefer not to emphasise it.

https://www.revolut.com/help/getting-started/exchanging-currencies/what-foreign-exchange-rate-will-i-get

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,110 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Very happy I spotted this. Signed up 2 weeks back, card couldn't be ordered for some reason. Worked out anyway!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement