Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Free physical Revolut card

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,790 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Thanks for the answers :)

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Palmach

Have tried to download the app. 3 times I have entered my phone number and nada.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,900 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Palmach wrote: »
    Have tried to download the app. 3 times I have entered my phone number and nada.

You can get it from the Play/App store. You dont need to wait on a text.

Or am I picking you up wrong?

OmegaGene wrote: »
    That explains it then
    MasterCard only

So the free one being given in this offer, can't be used with Google Pay at all as it's VISA and Google Pay only accepts MasterCard?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,900 ✭✭✭✭GBX

You enter a mobile number to register with the app

Ah right. Yeah, id forgotten that part.

• Advertisement

I tried top up and it failed..

I opened the app again and had to scan my driver license and take a selfie :eek:

Now it's asking what card I want, and the delivery methods are:

Upgrade for free Global Express delivery - ETA 30 nov (FREE)
    Express delivery - ETA 30 nov (19.99)
    Standard delivery -ETA 10 dec (FREE)

I'm not sure if I pick Global express for free, is that still the free card or not, I don't think I've topped up yet, so not sure is this gonna mean I'll have to pay for the card later?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭harpstilidie

cormie wrote: »

I opened the app again and had to scan my driver license and take a selfie :eek:

I'm not sure if I pick Global express for free, is that still the free card or not, I don't think I've topped up yet, so not sure is this gonna mean I'll have to pay for the card later?!

Had to do the same thing!

Card ordered anyway. Cheers OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Can you pay on uk sites with the virtual card?

Thanks

I just set up a virtual card for now. I presume this will let me sign up on uk pay tv apps that won't accept Irish bank cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,147 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Global Express free I think will bring you to a screen to upgrade the card, so it's not actually for the standard card.

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Palmach

GBX wrote: »
    You can get it from the Play/App store. You dont need to wait on a text.

Or am I picking you up wrong?

Thanks I didnt know that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,652 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

So the free one being given in this offer, can't be used with Google Pay at all as it's VISA and Google Pay only accepts MasterCard?

Ah that's a pity, was the only reason why I needed one.

That's me out.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

I have a visa debit card already on google pay. Does that mean the Revolut visa card will work?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,449 ✭✭✭blastman

I have a visa debit card already on google pay. Does that mean the Revolut visa card will work?

No

• Registered Users Posts: 28,349 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

What should I put in for postcode when registering in the app?

It doesn't like my Eircode, or my Dublin xx postcode, or leaving it blank.

Edit ; I had a blank space after the Eircode which seems to have been the cause of the problem.

It's kinda confusing, when you go to the card options to order, they all have a mastercard logo on them, not visa :confused:

I'm having second thoughts about the need for this, I think I was swayed by the "free" aspect in this deal :pac:

Really though, is there any big advantages over saving a few quid a year on exchange rates?

I never sign up to shop loyalty cards or anything as I prefer keep things simple and not bogged down by all these accounts and cards. Is it really worth the hassle of having to load cards and all this for might be negligible savings, especially if a regular bank debit card can allow you pay for goods/services in other countries anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭killanena

cormie wrote:
    Really though, is there any big advantages over saving a few quid a year on exchange rates?

If overseas you can save a lot by just topping it up for free through your own bank account and then using the card in ATMs to get cash out.

If you are a regular shopper on amazon the savings will add up over a year.

Or if your like me and can't be trusted with your debit or credit card on a night out, I top up the revolt card with how much I'm going to allow myself spend and just bring that, leave the wallet at home :P

Yeah I buy a bit from Amazon and other UK retailers. I always pay in GBP as it seems the rates are better than paying in the EURO rate Amazon gives, haven't looked into that much, so with this, if you want to spend £180 on Amazon, you transfer £180 from your bank account and then use the revolut card to make the purchase on Amazon and you might save, what, €2-3?

Thanks, I have a purchase I need to make in the UK over £300 so I'm gonna test it out..

I added a GBP account so from what I understand, I state the amount in GBP that my purchase will be and add to that account from my bank card and it'll give me a better rate than if I were to use the bank card to buy direct from the supplier, right?

I tried add the amount, but it said my annual top up limit is €250... I think my identity has to be verified before I can add more?

The fact I can just top it up as I need it is handy, especially if I'm not too confident on the security of certain suppliers/online shops, so it'll be empty or have very little in it most of the time should my card details be compromised.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

It's kinda confusing, when you go to the card options to order, they all have a mastercard logo on them, not visa :confused:

The first card has a Visa logo on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

It definitely will, I have my Ulsterbank visa debit on google pay and used that to top up in the app yesterday, money went though no bother.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement

the limit is probably a security measure for the time being, once you top up with euro and exchange to any currency lets say lira if you wanted a turkish netflix subscription to get netflix cheaper then you get a lira account and so on
    when you make a purchase in gbp or dollars then revolut will take from that automatically or convert it from euro if you dont have t converted

so long story short you can convert yourself to take advantage of low rates or let revolut do it for you

Sorry, kinda got confused there... are you saying, there's different ways to top up with Revolut which will result in different fees for me?

So if I want to buy something for £300 GBP from a UK retailer, I can either top up my revolut EUR account with whatever amount it shows £300 to be in EUR on the "rates and conversions > converter" link (although this changes almost every second!) and make the purchase there, or I can just add £300 to my GBP revolut account?

Will one work out cheaper than the other? Also.. there's a chance if I transfer the exact amount in EUR, that the rate by the time I make the purchase will mean I don't have enough in the account?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

I’ve used the card more than my current account card tbh and it’s great for going abroad to, I was in the U.K. last year and ptsb in all their wisdom didn’t like me being out of the country and froze my card so I was haunted to have the Revolut card with me

That is a security feature. Their concern would have been that your card was stolen.
    If you use the PTSB app they have a travel note tab that allows you to input where you are travelling to and the dates you are travelling. I’ve used it a few times this year without issue.

Supercell wrote: »
    It definitely will, I have my Ulsterbank visa debit on google pay and used that to top up in the app yesterday, money went though no bother.

But will the virtual revolut visa card work on uk sites that don't take Irish cards.
    I don't think I have any need for the physical card if the above works.

But it’s free

For now!

Thanks again for the info! Still waiting on my ID to be verified! It said to wait 10 minutes, I think it's been over an hour :(

• Registered Users Posts: 10,147 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

It won't. It's not Visa or Mastercard depending, it's down to a combination of both the bank and the card.

The full list is here
    https://support.google.com/pay/answer/7352140
    Thanks again for the info! Still waiting on my ID to be verified! It said to wait 10 minutes, I think it's been over an hour :(

Over an hour is normal these days.

Hurrache wrote: »
    It won't. It's not Visa or Mastercard depending, it's down to a combination of both the bank and the card.

The full list is here
    https://support.google.com/pay/answer/7352140

Are we talking about different things?
    Ulsterbank Visa Debit card is on that list, I topped up my Revolut (visa) card yesterday using google pay (which has my Ulsterbank Visa Debit on it - only) just yesterday and it went though perfectly.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Took about 6 hours yesterday for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,380 ✭✭✭fletch

Are we talking about different things?
    Ulsterbank Visa Debit card is on that list, I topped up my Revolut (visa) card yesterday using google pay (which has my Ulsterbank Visa Debit on it - only) just yesterday and it went though perfectly.
    I think so...I can top up Revolut card with my AIB VISA card no problem, but I can't add my Revolut VISA card to my cards in Google Pay, so I can't use my Revolut card via Google Pay to pay for something

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,380 ✭✭✭fletch

Revolut card was also very handy for withdrawing money on my holidays this year. Transaction fee was only 15 cent (on first €200 per month) whereas it's 2.5% of euro amount with AIB.

Edit - updated as some misinformation

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement