Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

11-03-2009, 23:17   #2581

Opening Hours Sunday

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfcelt View Post
Moheenly, From Kildare originally but now live in Dundalk, theres a Dunnes Stores not far from the Sainsburys in Newry. My advice would be to leave early, real early. Wife goes on a Friday morning before 11am & its just about bearable, on her return (about 12) the traffic is backed up on hill down to Newry & on dual carriageway its back to almost the Carrickdale turn off (about 5 miles or so). Saturdays are a nightmare & Sundays a complete disaster as opening is at 12.
Banbridge/Lisburn or Armagh might be worth considering. The extra driving time is offset by easier parking, less hassle in the aisles & fully stocked shelves.
Hi opening hours in Northern Ireland on a Sunday are 1pm to 6pm only. Its a legal constraint and not allowed to open on Easter Sunday either I think!
Advertisement
11-03-2009, 23:21   #2582

Paying currency

Quote:
Originally Posted by machiavellianme View Post
Slightly OT but for those who buy up north, do you just use credit cards or do you have to convert euro to sterling? Not sure which works out cheaper.
Best way is to use credit card then you get the exchange rate of the day as shops are sometimes slower to respond to changes or use your cash card and take sterling out of the cash machine and again exchange rate of the day.
12-03-2009, 01:52   #2583
Santa Claus

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoppingexplore View Post
Hi opening hours in Northern Ireland on a Sunday are 1pm to 6pm only. Its a legal constraint and not allowed to open on Easter Sunday either I think!
You're right that 1 is the official sunday opening time but they get around it by opening the stores at 12 on sundays but tills don't open till 1 so you've an hour to wander round filling up the trolley before you can buy anything !
12-03-2009, 17:14   #2584

A lot of people have commented on the poor customer service in the south. I was in Tesco today and asked an assistant about a certain product that I couldnt see on the shelf. I was shocked by the unhelpfulness and rudeness of her. Such a difference from the north. I certainly won't be back there, to be ripped off and treated that way.
Thanks from:
12-03-2009, 18:57   #2585
ninty

Quote:
Best way is to use credit card then you get the exchange rate of the day as shops are sometimes slower to respond to changes or use your cash card and take sterling out of the cash machine and again exchange rate of the day.
You actually get the rate that applies on the day they post it,see your credit card bill for details(usually the next day with bigger outlets) Could be up to a week with smaller ones.
Advertisement
12-03-2009, 19:04   #2586
ninty

Pound Stretchers,near Dunnes Grocery in Newry, are selling a Mini Cast Iron Chiminea (outdoor woodburning heater)for £35.Same as the one in the Argos catalogue for €75
13-03-2009, 17:58   #2587
GG66

Power tools in Belfast

Anyone know a good place to buy power tools in belfast. Need a chainsaw, mitre saw, jig saw?

thanks
14-03-2009, 18:26   #2588
DublinWriter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GG66 View Post
Anyone know a good place to buy power tools in belfast. Need a chainsaw, mitre saw, jig saw?
I know it's not Belfast, but I was in BN in Newry and they had electric chain-saws for £30. Can't vouch for the quality.

B&Q at the DaMolly outlet are offering 10% off any purchase in the two weeks after your initial purchase. The nice guy on the till gave us 10% on our first purchase today, so it might be worth a haggle!
14-03-2009, 18:28   #2589
DublinWriter

Quote:
Agreed. As a rule, stick to using your CC or DC as the in-store exchange rates for hard Euros aren't as usually as a good as the actual currency market rate.

Also, be aware that many stores in NI don't take Lazer cards.
Advertisement
15-03-2009, 12:11   #2590
Richard

Quote:
Originally Posted by DublinWriter View Post
Agreed. As a rule, stick to using your CC or DC as the in-store exchange rates for hard Euros aren't as usually as a good as the actual currency market rate.

Also, be aware that many stores in NI don't take Lazer cards.
True, but I noticed that the big Tesco at Springhill, Bangor, had a sign up saying they accepted Laser Maestro. I can't imagine many southern shoppers make it as far as Bangor, but I imagine that this applies to all Tesco stores.

Also, given that most places will take Maestro, wouldn't that mean that all Laser cards would work in those places too? It's just that asking "Do you tale Laser?" might be answered in the negative because they probably won't know what a Laser card is.
15-03-2009, 12:18   #2591
nevaeh-2die-4

Quote:
Originally Posted by milly4ever View Post
A lot of people have commented on the poor customer service in the south. I was in Tesco today and asked an assistant about a certain product that I couldnt see on the shelf. I was shocked by the unhelpfulness and rudeness of her. Such a difference from the north. I certainly won't be back there, to be ripped off and treated that way.
i used to work in tesco as a teen and the amount of retards and lazy bastards that would be asking where stuff is.

you have 2 eyes & legs , yea? now piss off. (thats what i said to some customer on me last day)
15-03-2009, 12:56   #2592

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevaeh-2die-4 View Post
i used to work in tesco as a teen and the amount of retards and lazy bastards that would be asking where stuff is.

you have 2 eyes & legs , yea? now piss off. (thats what i said to some customer on me last day)
Funny the way the same minimum wage staff doing similar jobs in the North have the wit to know where something might be, and if they don't, to point them in the direction of someone who will, all the while treating the customer with some respect, cursory manners, a smile and no attitude, all for less take home pay and in considerably busier stores.
Your attitude goes a long way to explaining what's wrong with the whole shopping experience in the south....how the hell do you expect to keep yourselves in work when you treat people who are ultimately providing your wages in that fashion?
Retards and lazy bastards? In my experience that's usually the staff, not the customers in any given Tesco.
15-03-2009, 17:07   #2593

Installing a house alarm

Hi, we are installing a house alarm and intend buying the equipment in the north. Can anyone advise where would be the best place to go? We would be driving from Dublin.
15-03-2009, 18:02   #2594
Spipov

anybody can recommend jewellery shops north? maybe even addresses?looking for an engagement ring and wouldnt mind going up...

Cheers
15-03-2009, 19:23   #2595

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chamonix View Post
Hi, we are installing a house alarm and intend buying the equipment in the north. Can anyone advise where would be the best place to go? We would be driving from Dublin.

Try Maplin, look on their site first www.maplin.co.uk

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion