Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Argos Stock Checker - CheckArgos.com (Jul 15 - Preview of new site now avaialbe)

1789101113»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭shovel

Sorry to hear that as well.
    I've got some great bargains over the years

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭bored_newbie

shovel wrote: »
    Sorry to hear that as well.
    I've got some great bargains over the years
    That's a pity to hear, thanks anyway, saved me a few quid over the years.

What are ye sorry about? The site works perfectly.
    He's just saying he won't be adding new functionality.

• Did checkargos not used to do more than poll all locations for stock availability? Clearence/Popular doesn't seem to work no matter which category or what store.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,999 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Did checkargos not used to do more than poll all locations for stock availability? Clearence/Popular doesn't seem to work no matter which category or what store.

Yes, but Argos blocked my IP address one weekend that there was a 3 for 2 toy sale on

Now blocking the IP address of a application that is running on the cloud wouldnt be the best way of actually blocking someone, so I was able to just literally shut that server down and spin up a new one, but I was obviously causing a problem for argos.

That weekend their site kept crashing, I guess they were overloaded. They probably saw the majority of the requests coming from my server so shut it down.

I was previously making 40 separate requests to argos every time one person came to a product page, now add to that people setting up check for change or some other equivalent type things and you can see the requests pilling up

So in an effort to be a good citizen to argos, I implemented a store picker screen. So now you can only check up to 10 stores at a time. I felt this was a decent compromise as getting to more than 10 stores probably wasn't realistic.
    You only need to do the store selection screen once per browser (its saved in loca storage, can be changed too)

Plus, as someone based in the west/midlands, knowing something was in stock in Tralee or Dublin was never really much use to me!

This change would reduce Checkargos load on argos by at least 75%, so went with it. They haven't banned my IP since so hopefully it was enough for them.

It was a pity for people posting bargains though. The traffic for the site was pretty heavily impacted by this as there is now less reason to link to it here. I actually played around with giving out links to people that would allow them to check all stores, but it didn't really work out. They would just post screen shots of the website (which is fair enough I guess!)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,297 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

is the checkargos add on still around where you just had to click on the product number which brought you to the checkargos site?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Checkargos fantastic idea, well executed. Nothing but thumbs up from me.

Skerries wrote: »
    is the checkargos add on still around where you just had to click on the product number which brought you to the checkargos site?

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/argos-stockchecker/kdfjafldmdgledccmljiadgmbdcicjee?hl=en

That is not developed by me and I have no idea if it still works! I did add routes to all old style URLs into the new version of the site though, so once it points to either the old style url or the new one it should work

Did checkargos not used to do more than poll all locations for stock availability? Clearence/Popular doesn't seem to work no matter which category or what store.

To answer your actual question that I clearly read wrong.

It looks like the clearance part is broken alright, I guess they changed something!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭tommycahir

Checkargos is one of my go to sites for checking price history etc.

Just wondering if you have the source code on github somewhere or it can be shared wouldn't mind having a poke around with a local instance to see if I could tweak a few things?

tommycahir wrote: »
    Checkargos is one of my go to sites for checking price history etc.

Just wondering if you have the source code on github somewhere or it can be shared wouldn't mind having a poke around with a local instance to see if I could tweak a few things?

It's not currently on public github repo, but I might give it a comb through in the next few weeks and release it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,375 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Is there any stock checker working now? Going through each argos location is painful.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭murfilein

Is there any stock checker working now? Going through each argos location is painful.

gonna have to bump this :D

any site or so available that checke multiple stores at once?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Just use a different store, or amazon. Tired of dealing with the Argos site.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭Treppen

beauf wrote: »

Agree. it'd suck the life out of ya, you spend so long looking by the time you find a store with the bargain you've nearly convinced yourself it would be worth driving 400km :D

I'm still going to keep checking for the ********** though (sorry can't revel what I'm looking for)

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭somebody_else

beauf wrote: »

I like to use it !
    It is so clear and have all info at palm of your hand.

For example - all watches are
    Casio Men's Black Resin Strap Watch or
    Casio Gold Stainless Steel Bracelet Watch !

and looking for part number show nothing !

great design.

Sorry I know it is off-topic but had to complain to somebody.

Tom

• Registered Users Posts: 36,163 ✭✭✭✭ED E

RIP?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,000 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

ED E wrote: »
    RIP?

A long time ago!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭matchthis

In a galaxy far far away

• Registered Users Posts: 8,858 ✭✭✭Soarer

It’s with O’Leary in the grave.

Advertisement