Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Kiev, Ukraine

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

grimm2005 wrote: »
    Ah cool, thanks, I'll check them out. I think the group I linked does the same as the review I read said that they went into some buildings that they're not technically supposed to that other tours wouldn't.

Also, if you have any recommendations for restaurants, bars, museums etc in the city I'd love to hear them. I've not booked accommodation but I think I'm going to go for an Airbnb apartment that's very central (about 5 minute walk to Maidan) and has great reviews (and very affordable).

I've used Chornobyl-Tour twice and we went into a good few of the buildings. Up to higher floors and everything. Mind your step though! :D

Some amazing opportunities to explore!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

Dear Friends ! - as our Chernobyl guide would say :D

So, we stayed in the Dnipro hotel, near the main maidan square, it was an old soviet style hotel and was decent price and breakfast included.
    Very well heated too, it was quite cold when we were there.
    First day we headed around the maidan square and thought it was a bit grim, was dull and gray - got some food into us (so cheap and nice) and allready the mood took an uptake.
    Headed to the Santa Sofia church and climbed the bell tower, some great views, then down to st Peters Church (I think) and went to a service ... now I am not religious but the singing was incredible - noticed a lot of young people there, they are still quite religious.
    Day 2 we went to that aviation museum out by the smaller airport in Kiev
    Amazing - http://aviamuseum.com.ua/en We now are into aircraft, but still even if you don't like planes much it's very interesting, all Russian planes, some real beasts there
    and we could board a Tupelev 154 as well as a military helicopter.

Day 3 we took an internal flight to Lviv - on an old YAK 40 - great experience, and Lviv was a gorgeous town.

Day 4 was the money trip, Chernobyl, left early - drive is about 2 hours and they showed us some documentaries on the accident and the building of the Sarcophogus to house the reactor 4 ruin.
    As well some docs on the town before and after - fascinating and really set me up for the day with real knowledge of what happened.
    Tour guide was also very knowledgeable and answered lots of questions.
    Driver was also a sound lad - chatty.

We got to go to Pripyat and some other small abadoned village - Zalissya , very interesting to see the way it was all left behind and eerie to walk
    around - we could also enter some buildings (allthough officially I don't think people should) and went to the top of a 9 story apt. block in Pripyat and got great views - also took a walk around some apartments.

Seeing a childs school and toys, dolls and teddy bears left there was so strange - no one takes or touches them they could be contaminated.
    In fact you are not allowed to take any souvenirs whatssoever.

32340583717_ca5ea8585d_z.jpg
    40317839583_66b15281e5_z.jpg

We got quite close to reactor 4 too - look at this stray dog! there was a few of them around the villages, tour guides bring them food and some
    guests too - they are all tagged and have been sterilised, I guess they don't want the population getting out of hand and genetic mutation perhaps?

33406851078_27a0e98dca_z.jpg

I was amazed at the return of wildlife to the area, they are thriving .. wild horses have been introduced to control wild fires in the area, but there
    are lots of wolves, foxes and carribou (we only saw Horses and stray dogs tho) These horses were close to Zalissya
    47230470182_aa2d0e51c0_z.jpg

The famous ferris wheel,
    There is actually a hotspot under it look at the docimeter ...
    47230417302_702db7f003_z.jpg
    link to a large image of the readout, so you can see - https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7867/40317854953_5a8a9e4303_k.jpg
    176 rontgens per hour - normal city level in Kiev is 0.15-0.30

There are some hotspots around the area, the red forest one of the most famous where a lot of the dust ended up after the explosion -
    we couldn't get off the bus here, we just drove through ...fast!! and on the bus it was showing around ~30 rontgens !! if we had gotten out and examined the ground in the forest she said it would be been approx 2,000 rontgens !! crazy levels of radiation.

Back to Kiev, the metro is decent and is a good way to get around - There is a train service to the airport (80 UAH about 2.50EUR)
    Don't let the hotel tell you it's not reliable, they want to order you a taxi.
    We had different flight times back, my brother got the train I got an Uber - Uber was 330UAH (about 10EUR) Taxis might be 2/3 times that.

Any more questions feel free to ask me while it's still fresh in my mind - I might have forgotten a few things above!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

In relation to those horses, they're actually real wild horses. Only exist in a handful of places and a couple of hundred globally.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Przewalski%27s_horse

• Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

The tour to Chernobyl looks fascinating! It must feel weird to be walking through a place where life literally... stopped. No tidy up, no orderly withdraw, just "you can't be here any more"

Thanks for sharing it!

• Advertisement

The tour to Chernobyl looks fascinating! It must feel weird to be walking through a place where life literally... stopped. No tidy up, no orderly withdraw, just "you can't be here any more"

Thanks for sharing it!

It's incredible, as I said it probably is the most fascinating thing I have done as a tourist.

The people in the villages were told that they would return in 3/4 days, so leave everything behind, just get on the buses.

Regarding the red forest, seems a lot of the original trees that were contaminated were just bulldozed and buried there, hence why it's so high levels - not just the dust.

And sorry, regarding the rontgens, it was probably millirontgens i meant to stay, but points still stand with relative values.
    0.15-0.30 was normal levels.

176 under the ferris whell ....

5/6 on the ground outside reactor 4 ...

2000 on the ground in the red forest.

Delighted you visited some of the places I suggested - and took that flight to Lviv with MotorSich Airlines! :D 50 year old planes... amazing experience!

Also happy to hear the airport train was open - when we visited late last year it was yet to be completed so we took the bus. Are the trains modern, is the train station at the airport underground?

Delighted you visited some of the places I suggested - and took that flight to Lviv with MotorSich Airlines! :D 50 year old planes... amazing experience!

Also happy to hear the airport train was open - when we visited late last year it was yet to be completed so we took the bus. Are the trains modern, is the train station at the airport underground?

Yes MotorSich!!!
    And that aviation museum!!! QUALITY!! Loved it ... especially getting up close to an Ilyushin Il-86!!

I got an Uber my brother got the train (different flights) , I'll ask him ..but I can tell you the train station at the airport is above ground.

TomSweeney wrote: »
    Yes MotorSich!!!
    And that aviation museum!!! QUALITY!! Loved it ... especially getting up close to an Ilyushin Il-86!!

I got an Uber my brother got the train (different flights) , I'll ask him ..but I can tell you the train station at the airport is above ground.

Delighted you enjoyed. It's a country I'd love to visit again, and check out some of the smaller towns and cities! Lots of exploring to do certainly! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Credit Checker Moose

How much was the internal flight on the YAK?

When I went, I managed to get it for €25. Usually it's around €40 or so. They also fly from the smaller IEV airport which is in the city itself.

UIA also fly to Lviv for a bit cheaper, but it's in a boring 737 and also they use the main KBP airport which is 40 mins from the city.

I think it was around €80 each return.
    It might be an Antonov 24, but either way with MotorSich it will be a Russian plane, and as Curb said it's handier as it's from the city airport ... you basically walk onto the plane like it's a bus. (there is security scan but it's very fast)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭grimm2005

TomSweeney wrote: »
    I think it was around €80 each return.
    It might be an Antonov 24, but either way with MotorSich it will be a Russian plane, and as Curb said it's handier as it's from the city airport ... you basically walk onto the plane like it's a bus. (there is security scan but it's very fast)

Did you need to plan and book the flight in advance, like a normal flight? Or was it a case that you could rock up to the airport sales desk and get one there and then at a reasonable price, like a bus or train?

Great write up btw, thanks for sharing! Will definitely visit the aviation museum I think, sounds like a great recommendation from Curb, fair play.

grimm2005 wrote: »
    Did you need to plan and book the flight in advance, like a normal flight? Or was it a case that you could rock up to the airport sales desk and get one there and then at a reasonable price, like a bus or train?

Great write up btw, thanks for sharing! Will definitely visit the aviation museum I think, sounds like a great recommendation from Curb, fair play.

We booked it online before, and flight was almost full (30 capacity, maybe 2/3 free seats) -so in theory I guess you could have arrived on the day and bought a ticket.

The AN24 has a higher capacity so if more bookings were made that would be the plane they use.

Here is the website anyway.

https://flymotorsich.com/en/

Since the visit to Chernobyl I have been really interested in the whole disaster

- This elephants foot of Corium scares the shyte out of me! :eek:

But fascinating stuff..

http://nautil.us/blog/chernobyls-hot-mess-the-elephants-foot-is-still-lethal

https://rarehistoricalphotos.com/the-elephant-foot-of-the-chernobyl-disaster-1986/

and this fron NewsTalk
    https://www.newstalk.com/news/the-elephants-foot-of-chernobyl-and-the-worlds-deadliest-selfie-601165

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Marys540

Hi Tom,
    Did you have to get a visa to travel to Ukraine? Are you irish?
    Thanks,
    Mary

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Marys540

Hi Tom,
    Thanks,
    Mary

Irish people don't need a visa to visit Ukraine.

Marys540 wrote: »
    Hi Tom,
    Thanks,
    Mary

No visa required if you're an EU citizen, passport is stamped and you're eligible to stay for 90 days under a tourist visa.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,172 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

Heading over in a few weeks. Did anyone get a sim card before they went over? The my memory ones don't seem to cover the Ukraine.

Just get one at the airport or any phone shop whilst there.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,172 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

Just get one at the airport or any phone shop whilst there.

Do they ask for ID and all that? I got a sim in Zurich airport before and had to show ID.

Yep. They ask for your passport.

Heading over in a few weeks. Did anyone get a sim card before they went over? The my memory ones don't seem to cover the Ukraine.

Best place to get it is in a mobile network shop over there (the airport are more expensive afaik), I went into a Vodafone shop by the main street when I was there and got a prepay SIM with 30 days unlimited 4G data for the equivalent of about €4. Definitely worth it in my opinion as it takes the stress out of getting around with Google Maps, Uber etc for less than the price of a pint over here (roaming prices were pretty lousy so this made more sense). I found the following very helpful before I left:

https://www.meganstarr.com/ukraine-sim-card-kiev-kyivstar-vodaphone/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 158 ✭✭joombo

Planning my trip to Kiev right now too. I've already found nice hotel near NSC Olimpiyskiy, I'm a big fan of football and I checked info about best bars, hotels and places to visit on https://worldstadia.com/nsc-olimpiyskiy.html. Want to spend a week in this site and explore all local destinations.

I'm here at the moment. Getting a sim was very easy. There was a girl literally parked in front of arrivals selling sims. Got a sim for €10. Wasn't interested in checking ID.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 vulchor

Lviv is better (IMO)
    Treat it as you would visiting any major city in the world. Just be careful as you walk around.
    Don't attract attention with lots of money etc.

You may be better off to exchange some cash, even at inferior rate. It doesn't make sense to withdraw a small amount because of a flat ATM fee.

Some info about hotels
    In my opinion Hilton is the best in terms of amenities and quality.
    Intercontinental is the second best, and it has a good location.
    Hyatt is ok and a nice location overlooking st Sophia square and has a nice bar on 8th. But their service can be a bit official.

Fairmont is nice but their location is bad (overlooking road junction).
    Premier Palace is a bit oldish.
    Opera is nice but its four star.
    11 mirrors is nice but they have a bit of sex oriented design, which may be not for everyone.

Don`t take hotel Ukraine, it`s Soviet style

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭johnire

Could anyone offer any advice on what the weather would be like visiting Ukraine (Kiev and Lviv) in February?
    Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

I was there in March last year. It was cold but nice. Typically -5, but -15 one day.

Wikipedia will have climate details on the Kyiv/Lvov page

Advertisement