Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Gaming News

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Honourable mention for Rainbow Six Siege

• Registered Users Posts: 21,334 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Played a wide selection of games in the last decade from an equally wide array of genres, and Witcher 3 blew them all away by a fair distance for me. That’d be my GOTD without a moment’s hesitation and not a hint of recency bias. PSA: Haven’t gotten around to Breath of the Wild yet, so put an asterisk beside this opinion.

I’ll be interested to see what actually wins such a title from a mainstream publication though, I fear it’ll be something insulting like Fortnite or god forbid, Candy Crush. :eek:
    We all know better of course, but still, it’s not a good look.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,954 ✭✭✭Liamalone

Wow I almost feel bad having converted 2 years worth of live to gamepass ultimate for €1 said no one ever. Savage value.

How long ago did you do this might I ask? A friend just got an Xbox and if he could do the same it would be great.

• Liamalone wrote: »
    How long ago did you do this might I ask? A friend just got an Xbox and if he could do the same it would be great.

During the summer but there have been offers since. Might be worth asking over in the gamepass thread in the Xbox forum as I've not kept up to date with the deals.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

One of those games I thought was "released" years ago, yet Factorio is finally hitting public 1.0 release and coming out of Early Access; though I'm sure there have been crazier offenders of perpetual beta games ...

https://www.factorio.com/blog/post/fff-321

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

pixelburp wrote: »
    One of those games I thought was "released" years ago, yet Factorio is finally hitting public 1.0 release and coming out of Early Access; though I'm sure there have been crazier offenders of perpetual beta games ...

https://www.factorio.com/blog/post/fff-321

Super Indie Karts being one.

Will they ever finish it?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Project Zomboid another.
    Going since 2013.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,795 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

J. Marston wrote: »
    HZD absolutely is brilliant. Not game of the decade but it's a fantastic game.

The voice acting is a strange criticism of it too. It was very good, in my opinion. Ashly Burch is very good and Lance Reddick is awesome. Ted Faro's VA was good too.

I found it just bog standard open world fare as well. Done well but not anything special.

I had no problem with the acting, the big issue was the script which was god awful. The actors did their best but I felt sorry for them having to utter some of that terrible dialogue.

There's no question for me that Dark Souls is game of the decade. It's the game that made gaming exciting again and nothing really has come close to it's quality. I think a good argument could also be made for Minecraft. Nothing else I can think of right now or that has been mentioned comes close to those two.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Witcher 3 or Breath of the Wild for me. Both of these set the standard for open world games, which i have probably enjoyed more then any other type of game for the last decade.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,795 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Breath of the Wild is a total game changer for open worlds, or at least should be, but I feel that there's room for improvement there and the next game built upon it's foundations could be something really special.

Witcher 3 is an amazing achievement, but it's still kind of that western RPG template that's been around since the infinity engine days just done extremely well.

I just think they lack that certain something that made Minecraft and Dark souls so special and game changing. I also like the fact that both games represent don't have the cinematic aspirations of most other games and for me just pure distillations of, well, videogames.

They're the only relatively two big titles I'd choose but would be happy to see a great indie game get it either as this decade has seen the rise of indie gaming and it's really saving videogames as they were in danger of becoming so corporate and boring.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,237 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Witcher 3 will win it for me. For a lot of people, they went in to it blind with no real knowledge of the previous games, I personally thoroughly disliked the gameplay of the first two and never finished them.

While the narrative idea of the Hero Saves the Girl thing is bloody old, the Witcher 3 carries it damn well and has some truly amazing characters, like the Bloody Baron. imo just that story line itself should win GOTD because it has so many logical twists and turns.

While the combat wasn't fantastic, it certainly isn't bad and doesn't rely on stupid, lazy QTE's.

It also looks bloody beautiful.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,246 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

God of War would get my GOTD.

I reckon a lot of the mainstream publications will give it to Minecraft. I have zero interest in it but it became a sensation and is still popular almost ten years on so it would be hard to argue with.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Project Zomboid another.
    Going since 2013.

That's also still in Early Access? :eek: Last I'd read, it had added working cars to its maps; I'm guessing it could be one of those developers that can't stop adding new stuff, pushing the release back. The "Star Citizen Effect" you could call it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 33,219 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I'd probably have to give it to The Last Of Us.

Enjoyed The Witcher 3 but too many flaws imo to give it GOTD. HZD is a great game but even God Of War would be above it imo.

In not particular order Top 5 games of Decade

Mario Odyssey, The Last of Us, Zelda BOTW, Doom 2016, TitanFall 2

Couldn't give it to Last of Us and God of War either. They're just standard action games with cutscenes in between. It's not an elegant way of telling a story in a game and even then the best of those, Last of Us, has issues in regards to its story. There's been better storytelling in the indie space. Would be more inclined to go with one of Paltinum's better games because the game part of those is better than either Last of Us or God of War.

Doom 2016 is a good shout. That is just pure distilled videogame joy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,991 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

In No order, based mostly on the amount of time I spent on them which is my own rough barometer of quality

Black ops 2
    PUBG
    Destiny (1&2)
    Dark Souls
    Red Dead Redemption

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭blockfighter

My GOTD nominations :) :
    Zelda BOTW, Witcher 3, Mario Odyssey, Rocket League,

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Couldn't give it to Last of Us and God of War either. They're just standard action games with cutscenes in between. It's not an elegant way of telling a story in a game and even then the best of those, Last of Us, has issues in regards to its story. There's been better storytelling in the indie space. Would be more inclined to go with one of Paltinum's better games because the game part of those is better than either Last of Us or God of War.

Doom 2016 is a good shout. That is just pure distilled videogame joy.

I can agree on this bit.
    Mario Odyssey gave me a similar feeling to Doom 2016 (pure distilled videogame joy) although radically different games I know but the premise of why I enjoyed them so much was the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭SomeSayKos

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Breath of the Wild is a total game changer for open worlds, or at least should be, but I feel that there's room for improvement there and the next game built upon it's foundations could be something really special.

I love breath of the wild but the weapon degradation in the game really annoyed me. I don't mind a degradation system per se but weapons broke way too frequently and I thought it took away from the experience overall.

• Advertisement

SomeSayKos wrote: »
    I love breath of the wild but the weapon degradation in the game really annoyed me. I don't mind a degradation system per se but weapons broke way too frequently and I thought it took away from the experience overall.

Yup, every time I got invested in my session, a weapon would break and a little part of me bristle in frustration. It's the sort of thing modders would have patched out within 30 seconds of release, and it's a shame Nintendo never did so themselves- unless those hating the degradation are a vocal minority. It's certainly the one element that prevents it being a total, unreserved best of the best for me

Weapon degradation seemed like a pain at the start but I found myself with too many weapons the majority of the time. If you let go of your hoarder mentality and just use the weapons and not worry about hanging on to them you'll enjoy it more. I feel BotW would be a lesser game without the weapon degradation which is why it's left in it.

For me if the degradation was removed it would remove a certain aspect of the exploration.
    Constantly finding new and unique items and knowing when you can sparingly use them was actually a positive for me.
    Combat always felt fresh because of this.
    Throwing weapons was a part of combat too I used more and more because of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,792 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Yup, every time I got invested in my session, a weapon would break and a little part of me bristle in frustration. It's the sort of thing modders would have patched out within 30 seconds of release, and it's a shame Nintendo never did so themselves- unless those hating the degradation are a vocal minority. It's certainly the one element that prevents it being a total, unreserved best of the best for me

I didn't like that weapons broke at first but then I realized that they actually wanted you to try out different ones and not just rely on one or two of your favorites. It's not like there was a shortage either so when something did break I just grabbed something new from an enemy/ground/chest.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,134 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

There's always the master sword too, or whatever it's called.

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭SomeSayKos

Mickeroo wrote: »
    There's always the master sword too, or whatever it's called.
    yeah, but that 'breaks' too and it goes into a cooldown timer.
    -
    Just for the record, I'm not saying the weapon degradation shouldn't be in there at all. My point is that weapons break too quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,842 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Kingp35 wrote: »
    God of War would get my GOTD.

I reckon a lot of the mainstream publications will give it to Minecraft. I have zero interest in it but it became a sensation and is still popular almost ten years on so it would be hard to argue with.
    There's just one problem with your prediction, and he spends his days retweeting alt-right bullshït.

TitianGerm wrote: »
    I didn't like that weapons broke at first but then I realized that they actually wanted you to try out different ones and not just rely on one or two of your favorites. It's not like there was a shortage either so when something did break I just grabbed something new from an enemy/ground/chest.

SomeSayKos already said it, but I'd probably hate it less if the degradation was a little slower; you make a good point about the gameplay aesthetics it's trying to convey but the weapons I do pick up break 1 or 2 battles sooner than I'd otherwise reasonably expect.

The sequel will be interesting in that respect, cos how those mechanics are changed - if at all - will speak to Nintendo's own perspective on the mechanic.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,792 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

SomeSayKos already said it, but I'd probably hate it less if the degradation was a little slower; you make a good point about the gameplay aesthetics it's trying to convey but the weapons I do pick up break 1 or 2 battles sooner than I'd otherwise reasonably expect.

The sequel will be interesting in that respect, cos how those mechanics are changed - if at all - will speak to Nintendo's own perspective on the mechanic.

Maybe the better weapons should have a longer life, maybe include a small number on the top of the weapon icon that shows the weapon health and have someone who can repair your favorites.

• Advertisement

Just remembered the real reason Last of Us doesn't deserve game of the decade.

Sure it wasn't even the best game of the year it was released.

#pikmin3needsmorelove

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement