Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Irish Aris' Music Walrus

Options
  • 05-07-2020 5:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,936 ✭✭✭

Hello everybody and welcome to my music walrus. Though I'm fairly new to Forum Games I decided to give this a go, as I love music and always looking to discover new artists and songs

What is Walrus?
    Walrus is a game wherein you select music, & other people judge your music. Standard Walrus usually has 1 host who selects all the categories, & a bunch of people submit songs (1 per category) & the host judges all the songs in each category.

Why Am I Doing This?
    I started listening to music in 1986 and have stopped since. I have a big music collection of over 3000 CDs. I also go to concerts frequently – fun fact: in my 8+ years in Ireland I have attended more than 150 concerts. Ever since I moved to Ireland with the vast number of concerts, I have made a conscious effort to discover more music, new and old – and this is the main purpose of this Walrus. Come on fellow forum gamers, educate me!!!

What Kind of Music Am I Into?
    Genres I am a big fan of: Pop/Indie Pop/Synthpop/Electropop (basically anything with a synthesizer or keyboard center stage), Rock/Indie Rock/Post Rock/Gothic Rock/Industrial Rock/Darkwave (and even some Hard Rock!), Ambient/Drone/Chillout. In the past I have gone through periods that I would also listen to Jazz and World music. For the last year or so, I have been trying to get into folk music but with moderate success (my tolerance to banjo is limited and having drums/percussion is almost a must have)
    Genres I am not a big fan of: Rap/Hip Hop (note though that I like some of the oldschool stuff like Salt’n’Pepa, Beastie Boys, DeLaSoul etc), Heavy/Thrash/Black Metal, Country, House/Techno, Progressive/Psychedelic Rock (never understood what people found in Pink Floyd. . .)
    Some of the artists that currently feature heavily in my playlists: Duran Duran, The B-52’s, Gary Numan, Midnight Oil, Queensryche, The The, The Twilight Sad, The Cure, Prince, Suede, Simple Minds, Depeche Mode, REM, Einsturzende Neubauten, Hurts, Brian Eno.

My Categories...

1. The Fantastic 80s: I was a teenager in the 80s and it was when I started listening to music, so many of my favourite artists and albums are from that era. So simple enough, I’m looking for any song released in that decade.
    Disclaimer 1: PartyJungle has done this back in July 2019, I think it is long overdue!!

2. The Irish Aris Connection: I moved to Ireland on October 2011 and because of all the concerts I started listening to a lot of new music. So for that category I’m looking for songs that were released from October 2011 and later. Songs can be by any artist (not just Irish artists) and obviously album tracks are allowed.

3. It takes 2 to make it right: Here I’m looking for duets and collaborations. It could be a straight forward duet (i.e. Elton John and Kiki Dee) or a collaboration (i.e. David Guetta feat. Whatever vocalist is popular). You could also select collaborations with 3 or more people, instrumental collaborations (i.e. Eno and Fripp) or even a duet between 2 lead singers of the same band (Fleetwood Mac pun intended)

4. That’s Not My Name: Simple enough: A song with a name in the title. I will also allow songs with the word “name” in the title.
    Disclaimer 2: This is another one that has been done before, by Green&Red, in September 2019. Hopefully enough time has passed and it won’t bore the older members of Forum Games

5. Body of Evidence: For this one I’m looking for songs that mention any part of the human body in their title. And similar to the previous categories with the names, I will also allow songs with the word “body” in the title.

6. The Lasting First Impression: I like listening to albums from start to finish and it is always nice when an album gets to a great start. So for this category I’m looking for songs that open their respective albums and you consider them great openers. The idea here is to make me want to listen to the whole album and expand my music library further!!

7. Preach to the unconverted. . .or the choir: This is like a wildcard category. Give me a song from one of your favourite artists, one that you think everyone should listen to. This could be your chance to prove me wrong on some of the genres that I mentioned as not being a big fan of, so anything goes!!!

Submissions and Deadline
    Please submit songs to me via PM. I'll be listening on either Spotify and/or YouTube so if there's a particular version of the song you want me to use, send on the link along with your submission.
    I will leave this open for at least until Friday 17th July, to allow everyone interested enough time to submit songs. Please let me know if anything isn’t clear on the categories.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Nice categories!

• Registered Users Posts: 84,986 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,012 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

I'm in, nominations sent. Sorry about lack of links Irish I'm on the phone on holiers

• Registered Users Posts: 14,821 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

tenor.gif

Entered!

Good categories! Chose a mix of old favourites and some new songs I like

• Registered Users Posts: 84,986 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Necro wrote: »
    I'm in, nominations sent. Sorry about lack of links Irish I'm on the phone on holiers

Anywhere nice? Enjoy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,677 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Necro wrote: »
    I'm in, nominations sent
    ShaneU wrote: »
    Entered!
    Damn, thought I was fast but I was well beaten :pac:

Got in some indie rock, industrial rock, post rock, folk and some others where I don't quite know the genre :p

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Entries Submitted!

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 13,358 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

You lot act quick. Gonna take me a couple of days to pick songs. Love the categories Aris.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Kolido wrote: »
    You lot act quick. Gonna take me a couple of days to pick songs. Love the categories Aris.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

A couple of days, not a week

• Advertisement

Kolido wrote: »
    FlippantDisguisedAppaloosa-small.gif

I normally take much longer myself but I thought I'd go for gut instincts this time

Irish Aris wrote: »
    4. That’s Not My Name: Simple enough: A song with a name in the title. I will also allow songs with the word “name” in the title.
    Disclaimer 2: This is another one that has been done before, by Green&Red, in September 2019. Hopefully enough time has passed and it won’t bore the older members of Forum Games
    I went back to check what I'd entered for this when GnR ran it. This is my favourite commentary of anything I've entered into any Walrus, especially when Mrs GnR joins in :D
    Green&Red wrote: »
    10th Place - Enter Shikari - Gandhi Mate, Gandhi

This is just noise, really, really bad noise, Mrs G&R asked "what is that sh!t" when I put it on in the kitchen
    And yet here we are, the more I listened the better it became, I laughed out loud at the "Gandhi mate, remember gandhi"

Brilliant pick, 10 points for
    Electric Nitwit

I would advise everyone to listen to this song

• Registered Users Posts: 4,936 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

I went back to check what I'd entered for this when GnR ran it. This is my favourite commentary of anything I've entered into any Walrus, especially when Mrs GnR joins in :D

I wouldn't consider this noise, you don't know what real noise is :D
    The only thing that threw me off was the 1-2 brief passages with the harsh vocals - and again borderline harsh. I actually think that if you remove the vocals altogether there is a great rhythm behind it.

6 sets submitted so far. Out of the 42 songs, I only know 14 of them, so mission accomplished, and thank you all very much for broadening my music horizons :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

After my decent showing in the last game, Im here to prove my postion was a fluke.

In

• Registered Users Posts: 30,339 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

Just after spotting this now, will give this a think over the next few days and submit an entry.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,339 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

Quite a few categories there that I had to go eeny meeny miny moe to select the song that I would go with.

With Shelly's selections in we are now up to 11 with more than a week to go.
    The categories shape up nicely and I can already sense that a couple of them will be very difficult to rank.

Finally got around to picking my selection. Great categories, so many choices, wasnt easy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

I just spotted that the OP has a very detailed description of what their favourite types of music are.

That probably would have been good to pay attention to when I was submitting my answers.

D'oh!

I like going against what the hosts choices are so will send in some later.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Do all these choices have to be from an Irish artist?

Just noticed that's your username...

s1ippy wrote: »
    I just spotted that the OP has a very detailed description of what their favourite types of music are.

That probably would have been good to pay attention to when I was submitting my answers.

D'oh!

No worries s1ppy, it was mostly that people have an idea what I would be into and not overload me with things that I would find difficult to get into.
    Having said that, your selections seem reasonable enough and I'm looking forward to listening to them.

RasTa wrote: »
    Do all these choices have to be from an Irish artist?

Just noticed that's your username...

Hi RasTa,

no, the selections can be from any artist around the world.

The back story of my username is that I'm originally from Greece. When I moved to Ireland back in 2011 (as per category 2 :) I was looking for a username for boards and decided to go with Irish Aris - Aris is my first name, but later on I found out that there is an Irish word aris that means again and I really like it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

In I goes, 45mins to pick this list.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Is this closing soon? Have half a list done but not had much time.

fixXxer wrote: »
    Is this closing soon? Have half a list done but not had much time.

Hi fixXxer,
    I will keep this open at least until Friday - so still a few days to send me your selections.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Irish Aris wrote: »
    Hi fixXxer,
    I will keep this open at least until Friday - so still a few days to send me your selections.

tenor.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭lassykk

Just submitted now :)

We are now up to 15 sets of selections - I was hoping to get to this number as it will make the reveals more interesting.

As mentioned before, I will leave this open at least until Friday - and will possibly allow entries during the weekend in case people are busy during the week. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,274 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

I started this, must get it finished in the next day or two.

Advertisement