Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Price of dogs

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭shaveAbullock

What channels did farmers use to find sheepdogs before donedeal?

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭2forjoy

Marts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭shaveAbullock

2forjoy wrote: »
    Marts

And that's out of the question now because of COVID?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,547 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

49801 wrote:
    I priced puppy for a desirable family breed direct with a breeder this week. Availability spring 2021... cost €1,500

If that's with a great breeder who breeds proven, health tested dogs, is extremely knowledgeable, and breeds to better the breed, then that is expensive but on the upper side of reasonable. Most of that cost will go into bettering the dogs, and leaving themselves open for any returning of dogs.
    If that's a breeder who breeds for the sake of it, hasn't a clue about breed traits or standards, has never taken a single xray of their dog (nevermind the rest of the health testing), only knows what lines they're breeding from because it's on a piece of paper somewhere... or basically your typical backyard breeder, then yeah, that's crazy money.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

And that's out of the question now because of COVID?

Some marts have a notice board, you could put a wanted add on it, people are still going to marts, best way of getting a good dog is word of mouth, ask lads around you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,707 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Donedeal dogs closed down. Market crash coming. I'm going to be stuck with Fifi. Fook.

It's not going to be good for the dogs involved either way.

Cruel people need to stop breeding and stupid people need to stop buying.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Buy and sell ?or the local paper ?

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

I was on the look out for a well bred working sheepdog pup for the last few weeks, some time for done deal to close up shop.

I'd say they'd still b in the sheep section

• Registered Users Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

Farmers journal

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭pure breed

I was on the look out for a well bred working sheepdog pup for the last few weeks, some time for done deal to close up shop.

Same here Limestone, I got a great one for 100 euros 4 yrs ago unfortunately died but was a dinger easily trained. Bought a 400 euro pup last year and a complete clown just no interest in cattle at all. Spends the day chasing cats.
    Very hard to get decent pups for farming without paying through the nose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭Dunedin

49801 wrote: »
    I priced puppy for a desirable family breed direct with a breeder this week. Availability spring 2021... cost €1,500

Yikes!

You’d need to be ordering at least two on that basis in case anything happens one fella at least you’ll have the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,020 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Farmers journal

Word of mouth on who and where the best dogs were being bred.

Same breeders always had the best stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭kk.man

I'd love a collie dog here but with work I wouldn't do it to the poor thing. He or she would need to be working almost every day to keep them right. Maybe when I retire from the day job.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭148multi

Try Facebook, there are more dogs sold there than dd.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

148multi wrote: »
    Try Facebook, there are more dogs sold there than dd.

Ya I'm keeping an eye there too. I'm not in a panic anyway, would like to get one from 2 good working parents though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭DJ98

Have the price of dogs come down any compared to what they were earlier in the year? Know a person selling sheepdog pups from working parents but wouldn't be fantastic dogs or anything but healthy and well minded pup's and wondering what would be a suitable offer to make on the pup's? Last time we bought a sheepdog pup it cost 90 euro and turned into a good enough dog, suitable for our needs.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭dohc turbo2

DJ98 wrote: »
    Have the price of dogs come down any compared to what they were earlier in the year? Know a person selling sheepdog pups from working parents but wouldn't be fantastic dogs or anything but healthy and well minded pup's and wondering what would be a suitable offer to make on the pup's? Last time we bought a sheepdog pup it cost 90 euro and turned into a good enough dog, suitable for our needs.
    I think it’s worse it’s gone since

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭sonnybill

DJ98 wrote: »

That’d be the going rate for good farm dogs round here, good home would be more important than the few quid to cover the Extra food etc

• Registered Users Posts: 3,832 ✭✭✭s8n

so where would folk suggest to pickup pups ? Specifically, daughter is looking for king Charles pup (dont want to spend crazy cash)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 685 ✭✭✭keepalive213

s8n wrote: »
    so where would folk suggest to pickup pups ? Specifically, daughter is looking for king Charles pup (dont want to spend crazy cash)

Is €1000 - 1500 crazy cash, I reckon it is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭mobby

There are not many if any good breeders of Cavaliers breeding pups at this time. you may find some on donedeal etc. but very unlikely to have all the health checks done. and could cost you a lot more in the future then the mad money they are going for now. If you search Facebook you will find a couple of CKC groups that may assist. but the good breeders have long waiting lists at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,922 ✭✭✭alps

Price of pups should come down..

I cant see any way of exporting to GB, and that was a massive and lucrative market.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,832 ✭✭✭s8n

appreciate the heads up.

In general, apart from Done Deal, what sites are worth keeping an eye on ?

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭roosky

appreciate the heads up.

In general, apart from Done Deal, what sites are worth keeping an eye on ?

Dogs.ie
    Adverts
    Toplink.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭k mac

Where would be the best place to look for a pup out of working sheep dogs and what sort of money are they making. Was thinking of one that could be trained to be reasonably good with sheep but it would not have to be off top class award winning working dogs. Also could these type of pups double up as a pet for the kids are would that ruin a working dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭orm0nd

k mac wrote: »
    Where would be the best place to look for a pup out of working sheep dogs and what sort of money are they making. Was thinking of one that could be trained to be reasonably good with sheep but it would not have to be off top class award winning working dogs. Also could these type of pups double up as a pet for the kids are would that ruin a working dog.

toplink.ie (farmers Journal) most likely the best , also the sheep discussion forum on facebook, but a few iffy guys on there.

prices from €200 up with most that micro chipped and vaccinated 300 to 450

full bred border collie the best for a pet,

we got a young kelpieXsheep dog here a couple of weeks ago here, and she is very promising already, she is however not afraid to show her teeth and fight her corner, which suits us just fine,

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭sonnybill

I have a border collie bitch 3 years old and she is great worker and I think it’s only way to have them that she is around the house(Outside) with us All the time and she is super with our toddler, she minds him full time, she loves to work but if she packed it all in in the morning she is a great pet and a joy about the place

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

Word of mouth is best of all IMHO. If you know someone in sheep country you'd be sorted quick enough in my experience.
    We've a fairly useless (for work) old girl who's more of a murder machine for small animals, but great with people, she was foisted upon us years ago and we all love her to bits.
    The funny thing is we've a young Jack Russel who's showing a lot of sense and promise around cows and cattle, and seems to pick things up in minutes!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭hamburgham

alps wrote: »
    Price of pups should come down..

I cant see any way of exporting to GB, and that was a massive and lucrative market.

If that trade is stymied, will be fantastic. I'd be afraid to hope though. The people involved seem to have clout considering how much they get away with and the way the councils and vets turn a blind eye to what goes on.

How do you think it will be obstructed?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Tig98

The funny thing is we've a young Jack Russel who's showing a lot of sense and promise around cows and cattle, and seems to pick things up in minutes!
    How is the jack russel on the farm?
    Ive a sheeodog x jack russel bitch on the way, Im a bit afraid she wont be much of a farm dog if she has the height of a jack russel, couldn't see her wading through mud and puddles etc

Advertisement