Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

When's calving starting 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Gudstock

3yr old first calver suckler calved last night. Had to assist, big bull calf, hard pull.
    A week early.
    Probably waited too long to assist, calf not good.
    Calf with the vet this morning.
    Now under the red lamp.
    Calf won't suck, tried bucket with finger, bucket with teat, got some down with a lambs bottle.
    I'm not comfortable with stomach tube, calf has basically no suck - anything I can try?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,078 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Gudstock wrote: »
    3yr old first calver suckler calved last night. Had to assist, big bull calf, hard pull.
    A week early.
    Now under the red lamp.
    Calf won't suck, tried bucket with finger, bucket with teat, got some down with a lambs bottle.
    I'm not comfortable with stomach tube, calf has basically no suck - anything I can try?

Honey or chocolate and patience

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Gudstock

whelan2 wrote: »
    Honey or chocolate and patience

Can you expand on the honey and choc?

Can you expand on the honey and choc?

Honey on the teat or on your finger the calf will suck. Or put a square of chocolate on the calves tongue. I have used it for suckler calves. There used to also be an injection you could get from the vet not sure if it's still available.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭tanko

A week early.
    Now under the red lamp.

What did the vet give the calf, did you milk the heifer and bring the milk with you to the vet?
    If the calf hasn't got biestings if needs to get some now. Could a neighbour tube the calf for you?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

A week early.
    Now under the red lamp.

Get a Trusti-Tuber, it's a bit pricey but will be around for years. I gave one to a neighbour one evening to tube a calf and he went straight to town and bought one for himself the following day.

It's idiot proof. I know, I've used it.

https://www.agridirect.ie/product/trusti-tuber-4ltr-calf-feeding-starter-kit

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭High bike

Get a Trusti-Tuber, it's a bit pricey but will be around for years. I gave one to a neighbour one evening to tube a calf and he went straight to town and bought one for himself the following day.

It's idiot proof. I know, I've used it.

https://www.agridirect.ie/product/trusti-tuber-4ltr-calf-feeding-starter-kit
    Yeah they'r a great tool and very safe

Honey on the teat or on your finger the calf will suck. Or put a square of chocolate on the calves tongue. I have used it for suckler calves. There used to also be an injection you could get from the vet not sure if it's still available.
    a shot of Vitacel ?

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭tellmeabit

A week early.
    Now under the red lamp.

Ask someone else to stomach tube him, just the get the energy Into it. Might come after it, it won't if not getting the milk

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭Sugarbowl

High bike wrote: »
    Yeah they'r a great tool and very safe

Is 75e on Agridirect the best price for this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Tubing is something you'll have to learn if calving cow's, getting the biestings in in time is the best start for a calf. Same as most things it's a case of just going and doing it to learn. If in doubt perhaps do it the next time the vet is out or a neighbour who may have experience is nearby

squinn2912 wrote: »
    First calf last night. First fatality I’m afraid. Calved 2-3 weeks early and my father got her with the calf on the slats and calfbed out. Vet came and it was an ordeal getting it back in. Same one had a calf died at 7 months last year. 2/2 disasters. Wouldn’t be long putting you off giving second chances. No springing no nothing and she was checked yesterday morning. Grim.

How is she today?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭squinn2912

How is she today?

Thanks for asking lad yea she’s grand injected her she’s eating well and rough to inject so it’s a pain but a good sign. Awful pity her grandmother ad mother are excellent sucklers and so is her sister. She’s a tastier beast than any of them but not over muscled either. Ah well not so bad she’s a good, sellable cow.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Parishlad

Just in from calving number 2. This one went better. First calver needed a bit of a pull but nothing major. Another heifer calf.
    Time for an hours sleep before getting up for work. The joys of it. ��

See the calf cards now have the dam breed on them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,615 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

I ordered the Trusti yesterday. I did think of ordering the replacement tubing only, thinking being that the lid would fit onto the shoof feeder (and spare me a few bob).

Horror story from this link in 2017 - anyone experience this happening?
    http://www.forum4farming.com/forum/index.php?threads/stomach-tube-stuck-in-calf.14726/

First of the year here nice little Hamlet heifer, the livelyst thing I ever saw, up and sucking in 15 min.Would have preferred a bull but can't have it every way

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭Sugarbowl

I ordered the Trusti yesterday. I did think of ordering the replacement tubing only, thinking being that the lid would fit onto the shoof feeder (and spare me a few bob).

http://www.forum4farming.com/forum/index.php?threads/stomach-tube-stuck-in-calf.14726/

Where did you order the trusti tuber from? Get a good price?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,615 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

Sugarbowl wrote: »
    Where did you order the trusti tuber from? Get a good price?

AgriDirect €75.00, painlessly extracted with a credit card. Justified the expense by having saved a few bob changing insurance provider.

I always have a small plastic bottle, with an flip open cap, of sunflower oil for dipping he tube into. It helps with easing the tube down their throat.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭liosnagceann75

AgriDirect €75.00, painlessly extracted with a credit card. Justified the expense by having saved a few bob changing insurance provider.

I always have a small plastic bottle, with an flip open cap, of sunflower oil for dipping he tube into. It helps with easing the tube down their throat.

Picked up a new tip today. Will try the sunflower oil

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,133 ✭✭✭✭Base price

See the calf cards now have the dam breed on them
    It is something that I remember you suggesting on here a couple of years ago. Someone is listening to you Whelan ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,056 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

It happened to me many years ago stomach tubing a calf for a neighbour one Christmas day and he wouldn't get the vet to look at it.
    Got real abuse over it, saved many calves for him over the years but didn't bother anymore.
    Best idea is do nothing for no one

wrangler wrote: »
    It happened to me many years ago stomach tubing a calf for a neighbour one Christmas day and he wouldn't get the vet to look at it.
    Got real abuse over it, saved many calves for him over the years but didn't bother anymore.
    You really are turning into the stereotypical grumpy old man :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,959 ✭✭✭emaherx

Base price wrote: »
    You really are turning into the stereotypical grumpy old man :)

Calving started now unexpectedly. Have 3 cows due next week, but one I wasn't expecting for a while decided to calve on the slats. Twin bulls but she's only taken to one of them so that has made for a fun evening.

emaherx wrote: »
    Calving started now unexpectedly. Have 3 cows due next week, but one I wasn't expecting for a while decided to calve on the slats. Twin bulls but she's only taken to one of them so that has made for a fun evening.
    The mild weather has brought calving forward - nature ignores the calendar :)
    Did you try hanging/rubbing the afterbirth on the other calf?

Did you try hanging/rubbing the afterbirth on the other calf?

Yes, and the cow is licking him, but won't let him suck. They are fed for now anyway.

emaherx wrote: »
    Yes, and the cow is licking him, but won't let him suck. They are fed for now anyway.
    Hopefully she will settle down as she is probably confused with two. I would take both calves away from her to an area where she can see them but not get to them or them to her. Absence makes the heart grow stronger ;)
    Edit - meant to say, don't give her any nuts/meal until tomorrow morning, then give her a bucket with nuts and let the rejected calf out to her first, and see how it goes. I'm presuming that she isn't wicked towards you or the calf.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

wrangler wrote: »

The old Pfizer tubes attached to the bag were the job in terms of a smooth bulb, slow going with thick biestings tho and a pain in the ass to hold the bag and a lively calf tho. Use the the tube that comes with the speedy feeder now, the bulb is fairly thick tho, I think the idea is the thicker bulb reduces the risk of it going down the windpipe

Hopefully she will settle down as she is probably confused with two. I would take both calves away from her to an area where she can see them but not get to them or them to her. Absence makes the heart grow stronger ;)
    Edit - meant to say, don't give her any nuts/meal until tomorrow morning, then give her a bucket with nuts and let the rejected calf out to her first, and see how it goes. I'm presuming that she isn't wicked towards you or the calf.

No she's quite good to be fair, like you said she's confused by 2 of them. They are all lying together now I'll leave them as is untill tomorrow as it's a cold foggy night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭tanko

A calving on Rare Breed now

Advertisement