Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gnome defense

• 23-10-2019 1:20pm
    Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 1,332 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I just happened across this story about Gnome being sued by a patent troll.

They've setup a fund to help in the defense if anyone is interested. It's a first for an Open Source project but I'm sure if the troll succeeds many other projects will find themselves facing the same.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,981 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

croo wrote: »
    I just happened across this story about Gnome being sued by a patent troll.

They've setup a fund to help in the defense if anyone is interested. It's a first for an Open Source project but I'm sure if the troll succeeds many other projects will find themselves facing the same.

Is there info about the patent they claim is applicable?

This goes some way to explaining

https://lwn.net/Articles/800516/

and the lawsuit

https://insight.rpxcorp.com/litigation_documents/13472237

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 1,332 Mod ✭✭✭✭croo

Looks like this was the complaint and it references this patent
    Wireless image distribution system and method

Abstract

A system and method for distributing at least one digital photographic image is presented, the system and method comprising at least one capturing device and at least one receiving device disposed in a communicative relation with one another via at least one wireless network. In particular, the capturing device is structured to capture the at least one digital photographic image via, for example, a capture assembly, whereas the receiving device is cooperatively structured to receive the digital photographic image via, for example, the at least one wireless network. In addition, the capturing device(s) and receiving device(s) may be disposed in a selectively paired relationship via one or more common pre-defined pairing criteria. Further, the at least one digital photographic image may be filtered via at least one pre-defined transfer criteria disposed on the capturing device and/or receiving device.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,981 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 1,332 Mod ✭✭✭✭croo

Goods news!

from your link...
    Alex Moss, a staff attorney on the Electronic Frontier Foundation's (EFF) intellectual property team, explained, "The Patent Office simply failed to apply the Supreme Court's Alice decision. The Alice decision makes clear that using generic computers to automate established human tasks cannot qualify as an 'invention' worthy of patent protection."
    I wasn't aware of this Alice Decision from 2014. In theory, it doesn't directly effect us here in Europe but we also know that the USPTO's approach to granting patents does, indirectly, effect Open Source software projects everywhere!

So good news on all fronts that, I think.

Advertisement