Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Winter 2019/2020 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭squarecircles

[IMG][/img][IMG][/img]prectypeuktopo.pngprectypeuktopo.pngukmintemp.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

you-had-my-curiosity-but-now-you-have-my-attention-leonardo-dicaprio-django.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Garden thermometer reading 1 degree at the moment here in cork city, cold enough out

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Blissfully, awesomely quiet. Just peace, no wind, no hail battering the place. Sheer utter peace...

Planning to catch up on sleep... the dwelling is warm and snug.

West mayo offshore island

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Plenty of heavy showers all day again today in Letterkenny, goes apocalypticly dark as they're closing in. Windscreen was frozen solid already as I left work at 5.30

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 838 ✭✭✭The_Brood

I doubt you could call it a freezing winter?

It's -5 in Dublin. Even in countries with a proper, proper winter it's not that cold yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,139 ✭✭✭highdef

The_Brood wrote: »
    It's -5 in Dublin. Even in countries with a proper, proper winter it's not that cold yet.

Where in Dublin is it -5c? I highly doubt that anywhere in Dublin is even at or within a degree or two of 0c. I'm about 40km West of Dublin city, in a rural area and in a frost hollow and my temperature is barely below 0c.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,139 ✭✭✭highdef

[IMG][/img][IMG][/img]prectypeuktopo.pngprectypeuktopo.pngukmintemp.png

Nothing very exciting going on there. Even the associated chart showing expected levels of lying snow for the same timeframe are showing a tiny bit of lying snow on the higher parts of the Wicklow mountains. Nothing to see here on this run.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,817 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Very cold day here in Kerry, Got up to 7.2C and currently 5.6C . Numerous heavy showers of hail and rain and like Donegal Storm said getting very dark at times under the big showers, one of which turned the place white for a short time . Sleet mixed in also at times.

Snow in Northern counties early today.

https://twitter.com/newslineweather/status/1204775914766323712?s=20

https://twitter.com/DonegalWeatherC/status/1204724485078835204?s=20

https://twitter.com/notreallyme62/status/1204697326377426944?s=20

https://twitter.com/SperrinsWeather/status/1204690884983476224?s=20

Very cold airmas over Ireland Sat / Sun, ECM very wintry over the weekend showing some accumulations on high ground for Sat and pointing at early Sun morning possible dump of snow as a possible front moves inland into cold air. Too early for specifics . Quite widespread showers Sat perhaps and will be tracking the front/ troughs for Sunday to see what comes of them.

YwrDN2e.gif

CZmQySR.png

4lzwaLl.png

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

highdef wrote: »
    Where in Dublin is it -5c? I highly doubt that anywhere in Dublin is even at or within a degree or two of 0c. I'm about 40km West of Dublin city, in a rural area and in a frost hollow and my temperature is barely below 0c.

Maybe there on about wind chill perhaps

• Advertisement

Good evening sir and Madam ,may i interest you in some cheap Atlantic muck. Thank you,a most excellent choice.

prectypeuktopo.pngprectypeuktopo.pngprectypeuktopo.pngprectypeuktopo.pngprectypeuktopo.png

ukmintemp.png

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭aisling86

Are the charts drunk tonight?

Enjoying the calm and peace and quietude... a welcome respite. Not a whisper of a wind or a dripping of a raindrop..

Shopping will be here this afternoon, before the lull ends. so, perfect timing.

West Mayo offshore island

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Status Yellow - Wind warning for Donegal, Galway, Leitrim, Mayo, Sligo, Clare, Cork and Kerry
    This evening and overnight, west to northwest winds will reach mean speeds of 50 to 65 km/hr with gusts of 80 to 110 km/hr

Winds will be strongest along coasts and on hills and mountains

Valid: 18:00 Thursday 12/12/2019 to 09:00 Friday 13/12/2019

Issued: 10:00 Thursday 12/12/2019

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

pouring rain again at Dunshaughlin. The county council were over earlier to clear another flood on our road from the rains of the past few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Heavy showers this evening in cork city

• Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭pad199207

Heavy rain in Naas. 12mm in the gauge. 56mm for the month now

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Some very heavy downpours in Castlebar since late this afternoon, already over 120mm of rain for the month after today and we could be on track to break 1800mm for the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,061 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Status Yellow - Rainfall warning for South Donegal, Leitrim and parts of Sligo

30 to 50 mm of rain possible

Valid: 20:00 Thursday 12/12/2019 to 20:00 Friday 13/12/2019

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,281 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Plenty of rain falling in blessington at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭appledrop

Torrential rain here in North County Dublin for last two hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Goldfinch8

While there has been some torrential and fairly miserable showers here in Mayo today, I really love the way the moon lights up the the tops of the incoming shower clouds from the west tonight. Quite stunning really.

Nice winter halo visible last night

20191211-215737-800x450.jpg

Goldfinch8 wrote: »
    While there has been some torrential and fairly miserable showers here in Mayo today, I really love the way the moon lights up the the tops of the incoming shower clouds from the west tonight. Quite stunning really.

Sounds lovely; I cannot get out of my door to see it! So thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Goldfinch8

The night ended up belonging to the wind and continuous showers here. Fairly wild here this morning in the west. Glad you got the supplies in yesterday Grace's 7 as it does not seem like a ferry day here in Mayo today! Stay warm and hunkered down out there.
    Looking forward to seeing what surprises the weekend may have in store weather wise for the country. As ever with potential snow, it will be a lucky dip for someone and opportunities missed for others. And of course there will be those quite happy not to see it at all. Let's see how it pans out.

Goldfinch8 wrote: »

Ah bliss! I had the door ajar ( held by old dog lead) and there was a huge, huge moon, between the clouds . halo and all! Utter glorious beauty

• Registered Users Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

This winter is looking rather depressingly similar to 2013-14 and that only got more and more stormy as December turned to January. Darwin came along on the 12th of February.

There does not appear to be much tendency towards either blocking or easterly flow anywhere at the moment. The preferred escape route for arctic air is central North America (which was true in 2013-14 the first of the two so-called polar vortex winters there).

Oh well, if it must be stormy, then stay safe and enjoy the ride.

This winter is looking rather depressingly similar to 2013-14 and that only got more and more stormy as December turned to January. Darwin came along on the 12th of February.

There does not appear to be much tendency towards either blocking or easterly flow anywhere at the moment. The preferred escape route for arctic air is central North America (which was true in 2013-14 the first of the two so-called polar vortex winters there).

Oh well, if it must be stormy, then stay safe and endure the ride.

Fixed your post ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

I've been thinking the same lately as the current set up is very similar to December 1978 ....
    ^ 15/11. Still reminding me of Dec 1978 after that anticyclonic interlude about two weeks ago when there were worrying signs of a Euro high becoming established but thankfully it didn't happen!
    Not making a long range but I think there is a very good chance of northern blocking later in the month.

archives-1978-12-14-0-0.png

Advertisement