Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What Whisky/Whiskey are we drinking this month?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,036 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

I have seen Redbreast at 31stg in Sainsburys maybe a year or two ago.

At today's Visa exchange rate of 82.54 p, less a bank charge of 1.75%, meaning 81.12, that means Redbreast for 38.21 euro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Geuze wrote: »

At today's Visa exchange rate of 82.54 p, less a bank charge of 1.75%, meaning 81.12, that means Redbreast for 38.21 euro.

Still a huge saving over prices down here

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

syklops wrote: »
    Not sure I'd entirely agree with sticking with Irish. The number of non-peated Scottish whiskies out numbers all Irish whiskies.

Thats why I recommended trying one in that post...

L1011 wrote: »

TBH the Cardhu is fantastic and non peaty as L1011 suggested

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭syklops

L1011 wrote: »

I know you did but you also suggested staying with Irish and maybe trying a Cardhu or a Speyside whiskey. I agree with the second part of what you said, just not the first part.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Clarks Bourbon bought in Aldi about 15e..................its okay

• Registered Users Posts: 33,570 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Geuze wrote: »

Bank Charge.. Use a Revolut Card like the smart folks ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭smurf492

Wild Turkey on the rock's.... Smooth

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭a_non_a_mouse

Wild Turkey on the rock's.... Smooth
    the WT 81 ? Nice. Would like to try the WT 101, but its not very plentiful around the place.
    I prefer the Woodford Reserve to the WT 81 .

but i don't claim to be very knowledgeable about Whiskey, but that is something I have been working on for the last couple of months :-)

Have a bottle of Buffalo Trace which needs to be sampled to increase knowledge.

Got a bottle of Jameson Caskmates at Christmas and recently got around to opening it. Sorry I waited so long.
    Smashing whiskey, really smooth even neat. Added a few drops of kalhua ..oh man, its nectar from the gods!

Has anyone tried "The Rising" from the Tullamore Boutique distillery? There was an article and interview with one of the co-owners in the Irish Times over the weekend.

At 68.99 special offer in the Celtic Whiskey shop, it'll be a while before I try sampling it. Its an 11 year old single malt.

• Advertisement

the WT 81 ? Nice. Would like to try the WT 101, but its not very plentiful around the place. I prefer the Woodford Reserve to the WT 81 .

Ya the 81 is lovely. The 101 has quite a burn when drank neat. Will try the Woodford soon

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Choc Chip

syklops wrote: »
    Has anyone tried "The Rising" from the Tullamore Boutique distillery? There was an article and interview with one of the co-owners in the Irish Times over the weekend.

At 68.99 special offer in the Celtic Whiskey shop, it'll be a while before I try sampling it. Its an 11 year old single malt.

"Tipperary" Boutique Distillery. It's described as "Tipperary Boutique Selection" on the bottle though as they're independently bottling right now with plans to distil their own whiskey with grain from the farm.

It's nice. Smooth for the alcohol strength (47%), fairly complex and good, medium-long finish.

OK folks
    Opened the aberlour
    Nicer than the cardhu (maybe a bit sweeter and closer to Irish whiskey)
    Give it a try for getting into scotch

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

I've always recommended Glendronach to anyone that has wanted to get into a non smokey/peaty Scotch. Its simply a supremely underrated dram and blows a lot of the bigger named brands out of the water.

Knob Creek... Nice

Cracked open the redbreast
    Mother of god it's too easy to drink
    Could drink the lot of it
    Beautiful balance of sweet and creamy and warm finish
    Just the jura,old pultney and yellow spot to open but they can wait til I clear some of my open bottles out

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

brinty wrote: »
    OK folks
    Opened the aberlour
    Nicer than the cardhu (maybe a bit sweeter and closer to Irish whiskey)
    Give it a try for getting into scotch

Took advantage of the post-brexit and picked up a bottle of aberlour 10 year old in Newry last week, on special for £22. Enjoying it so far :pac:

Pinch Flat wrote:
    Took advantage of the post-brexit and picked up a bottle of aberlour 10 year old in Newry last week, on special for £22. Enjoying it so far

Sainsburys do have great offers

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    Took advantage of the post-brexit and picked up a bottle of aberlour 10 year old in Newry last week, on special for £22. Enjoying it so far :pac:

It's on clearance in Derry for £18 at the minute too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

Had a try of Pappy van Winkels 15 year old bourbon recently.

Good lord, it's heavenly!

Did you listen to this podcast? http://thisiscriminal.com/episode-40-pappy-4-1-2016/

How did you get a hold of it!?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

Does anyone know how the Redbreast 15 yr and Yellow spot compare or is that a daft question.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭fret_wimp2

Redbreast is much deeper, with a lot more rich fruits & sherry type taste, maybe even a hint of earthy red wine.
    Yellowspot is a nice rounded pot still, but doesnt have the strong fruity earthy palate that redbreast has. Its more like autumn fruits.

Thats the best description i can come up with, its how they registered themselves in my brain anyway.

Was in enniskillen
    Picked up
    Glenfiddich 15yo
    Laphraoig 10yo
    Jura superstition
    Bloody sold out of auchentoshan American oak very upset grrrr

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Price on the Laphraoig? Best mates wedding next weekend and although the usual gift (cash, these days) will be given to the couple I still want to give him something and Laphraoig 10 is his preferred Scotch (somehow). My parents are up North during the week as it is.

He also doesn't use Boards, which is handy :pac:

£33
    Glenfiddich was £36

BTW what's wrong with the Laphraoig???

£33
    Glenfiddich was £36

Its rather harsh as a favourite, particularly as he would mostly drink Irish and specific, smooth, bourbons.

Nothing wrong with smokey, Talisker is my favourite, but Laphoraig and Ardbeg go a bit far!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 982 ✭✭✭VincePP

Just started on Ardberg 10 - better than I expected. Good peaty taste with a nice touch of sweetness at the end.

Favourite is still the cask series from Edradour - got the full 7 bottle collection about 10 years ago (she loves me!!!) and its all gone. Absolutely stunning.

After Ardberg a bottle of Teeling 23 silver bottling (Christmas pressie) is being opened for the autumnal nights. Was difficult to get info on it, but seems o'briens got a couple hundred bottles and rest went to japan.

People who dont like Laphroaig dont understand people who do. People who do like it cant understand people who dont.

People are different.

Cheers skylops
    Haven't opened it yet so just wondering
    I'll let everyone know which side of the fence once I've opened it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭a_non_a_mouse

Rittenhouse Rye (40% abv)
    My first bottle of Rye (trying to expand the knowledge base) and while I was expecting something a bit spicier, this is damn fine whiskey.
    Tried it neat and its very drinkable neat, but i found i like it best when poured over one decent sized ice cube.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement