Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Off-Topic

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I saw Lostprophets get bottled when they were supporting Metallica in the RDS in 2004 :pac:

Ah yes, classic MCD complete-inability-to-match-headliners-and-support

RHCP and New Order anyone? Metallica and Linkin Park?

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Sweet Savage and Iron Maiden? (though this just meant more pre-drinking in Fibbers :pac: )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Doctor Who anyone?

Oh yes. :D LOVE Doctor Who!

On the music front, my favourite band is Rammstein :D

I take my user name from a very excellent song of theirs:

You just can't beat them.

I love Nightwish too

:D

^ Love Nightwish too, just a pity I didn't get to see them before Tarja left was kicked out. Anette is hotter though - eyes were nearly popping out of my head when I saw them in Vicar Street in 2008.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭Kanoe

MYOB wrote: »
    I don't think there's much point in me doing the music thing, as I'm close to exclusively in to trance. And appear to be one of only two LGBT in Ireland in that box, the other of which is in Narnia.

I do stray to teenage angsty nu-metal the odd time (I've even seen the lostprophets play 'home gigs' in Wales, twice) though!
    I like trance occasionally, harks back to ye olden days of trancyness. I'm a bit of an eclectic when it comes to music though, can listen to anything from teisto to Etta James so post away. my ipods on the melt and my system is a bunch of dangling wires atm so I take it any way I can ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭AssaultedPeanut

MYOB wrote: »
    Metallica and Linkin Park?

Oh god, I was at that. I felt sorry for Linkin Park, they didn't stand a chance

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Don't think I could pick a top 5 music wise even if I tried. Of the 25GB of music in my iTunes I'd say more than 50% of it is EDM from early 90's dance to the latest electro as mixing is still one of my favourite past times. The other 50% is made of of all the music that influences EDM from rock and roll like Creedence, through motown, soul and funk, disco a fair smattering of ska, punk and mod music, everything up to the 80's really (still trying to get over that decade) Love Pink, Foo Fighters and Eminem of the modern stuff and also Rihanna for some reason. All in all far to eclectic to pick a top 5 from though!

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭MultiUmm

I feel like I've been away from boards for ages, I come back and there's an off topic thread here! Teh internetz moves too quickly for me. :pac:

To throw my hat into the ring I'd say I couldn't single out five of my favourite songs, a few that I really like come to mind though. :)

And of course ...

:D :cool: :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

I'd have to say I'm a fan of Evanescence and Linkin Park. Looking forward to getting there new album soon enough. For pure entertainment quality, the Blue Man Group.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭akaspike

only five.. Here are a few tracks i've been playing recently,

Broken Social Scene - Lover's Spit

Best Coast "When I'm With You"

Into Dust, Mazzy Star

Matt & Kim - Lessons Learned

Sigur Ros "Untitled 3"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

Can I suggest no more Youtube-embedding; my little phone can't take it, even using the mobile version of the site. Links would be better. This is an OT thread, not a post videos thread. :)

==

Back OT: the only album that comes to mind that I'd never tire of listening to in full is the Sham Mirrors by Arcturus.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

I don't know if this counts as off topic or not and maybe I'm just cranky because I have a cold, but GCN is really ****. I make the effort to go find it and the entire thing is about men. And the ads are SO explicit. :eek:

Anywho, something non video related, anyone really excited that all the TV shows are coming back (well on the internet at least) next week? Bones, Greys Anatomy, House, I can't wait!(God I have such an exciting life don't I :P)

I don't know if this counts as off topic or not and maybe I'm just cranky because I have a cold, but GCN is really ****. I make the effort to go find it and the entire thing is about men. And the ads are SO explicit. :eek:

Anywho, something non video related, anyone really excited that all the TV shows are coming back (well on the internet at least) next week? Bones, Greys Anatomy, House, I can't wait!(God I have such an exciting life don't I :P)

what's GCN? :confused:

also, Dexter is back soon too! :Dgl

Links234 wrote: »
    what's GCN? :confused:

also, Dexter is back soon too! :Dgl

Gay Community News, its a free magazine thats been around since the 80s or something and they're running a big campaign to raise money because not enough people are reading it.

http://www.gcn.ie/

I've never watched Dexter but I've heard great things about it. I've only just started Mad Men as well. Its amazing! I've been out of school the last day or two and I watched the whole of series one. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

Not enough people reading GCN because people don't want to read GCN. It seems very clique-y, scene-y, and generally not accessible. I didn't find it professional nor well-written last time I read it either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Aoifums

I know. I wish it focused a little more on women and they ads weren't so icky.

Please don't remind me. I'm a 6th year, I can't afford to watch 10 hours of internet tv a week :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Yeah, GCN is pants for anything to do with women, but TBH that online womens one is crap too. It's all just so intense or something.

zoegh wrote: »
    Yeah, GCN is pants for anything to do with women, but TBH that online womens one is crap too. It's all just so intense or something.

We have an online womens one??!! Since when!?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Boards lgbt mag ftw :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Aoifums

Boards lgbt mag ftw :P

What? Where? Cool!

• Advertisement

No it's just a suggestion :)

• Registered Users Posts: 40,798 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

We have an online womens one??!! Since when!?
    bolt magazine

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

This is fantastic! Took me a while to find it though, kept getting that movie about the little hamster! :D

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

so anyone else a fan of comic books? what do you like?

I'm a big fan of the Sandman

Used to read a bit of manga, but not so much these days. Loved the Battle Royale manga - huge fan of the movie too.

I've seen the movie, but never read the manga. I haven't read any manga myself, seen lots of anime films though

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

I just downloaded the Scott Pilgrim Series, loved the movie.

Also: Bolt the movie is AWESOME!

Scott Pilgrim is a brilliant film. I wonder can I download the books as a ebook.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭electrobi

I love my graphic novels. When I could afford it I would buy a stack every Thursday but I mainly read scans online now. A few crossover stories from X-Men, X-Statix/X-Force . Kabuki by David Mack. Transmetropolitan/Fell by Warren Ellis, most stuff Ben Templesmith works on (Fell, 30 Days of Night,Wormwood) Manga: Bleach, Black Butler. Anime movies: Akira, Ghost In The Shell. I enjoy Comic book ref movies, Scott Pilgrim, Kickass, Marvel heroes movies: Iron Man, Spiderman 1 & 2

Yeah I'm a geek.

Advertisement