Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New to DJing or production? Need help or advice? Post here

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭franklyshocked

Just some thoughts on the sound system rather than the DJing equipment.
    Don't waste your cash on a 5.1 system
    The sudio you're playing with is standard stereo. Its meant to be played back on a stereo system. If you push the money you were going to spend on all those extra (but useless and pointless) speakers, into some quality stereo speakers and a decent amp, you'll get a far better sound.
    Those 5.1 systems are for home cinema not for stereo audio. You won't get a balanced sound when you play stereo audio through them. More is not better in this case.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 woozle

any ideas which is the best record shop in Dublin for electro, etc?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 35 langer123

Thanks franklyshocked.

Any suggestions as to good online sites to purchase speakers?...and any ideas to a good set to get for around 200-300?..including amp.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭kingaaa

Hi. Im not really a dj but got rid of all my old stereo gear and bought a p.a. system, mainly because its handier with all the inputs. My gear is :

Behringer PMP1000 500watt powered mixer
    2x Gemsound 450watt (peak) full range speakers on stands

my inputs are :
    2 laptops using clubdjpro
    cd player
    vox tonelab se
    prosound wireless mics
    Takamine electro/acoustic

its all used at home and at mates houses for parties, karaoke etc..etc...

This is what I'm trying to find out:
    The bass could be better with the speakers,would the fact theyre up on stands affect this? if I were to add a subwoofer of some kind, how can I do it? my mixer only has 2 speaker outputs
    there are 2 jack sockets on the back of my speakers (the bloke at the shop told me it was for "adding more speakers to the setup"), but I get sound from either of them (no difference in levels), is this right?

cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 23 G1987

Hey guys, I am myself a DJ and a member of a very active worldwide DJ community.
    If any of you guys want any help call in Pioneer Pro DJ forums at www.pioneerprodjforums.com

I have included a section where I wrote a piece on developing a music library and where to get quality tracks at reasonable prices.

If anyone wishes to do some live broadcasting check out www.mixaddicts.com (we also have an IRC channel if anyone wishes to pop in for a chat)

Hope I can be of assistance to you guys (and girls).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,607 ✭✭✭VinylJunkie

Why go there when there is a wealth of knowledge and experience here. Plus we are not all Pioneer Fanboy's so we can give an honest unbiased opinion!

I am not a fanboy but I do have exceptional experience and knowledge of Pioneer gear and I spend most of time helping out there.

I figured if there was some question you had difficulty with there you could ask me there.
    And if wanted to do some live streaming for a worldwide audience I could sort you out for that too.
    I've always given honest and frank opinions of everything I do, even in my own business.

But I'm obviously not a real DJ because I don't spin vinyl. Only real DJs spin vinyl.

G1987 wrote: »
    But I'm obviously not a real DJ because I don't spin vinyl. Only real DJs spin vinyl.
    Funny you say that I haven't touched a record in months! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 lee_blaze

im sellin a full dj kit for a good price m8 http://www.adverts.ie/showcat.php?cat=500&ppuser=257131

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭ Brecken Putrid Raincoat

Hi, just a quick query.

If I was to buy a 4 channel mixer and a soundcard from the likes of thomann, would I need to also buy all the necessary cables, or do they come with USB / MIDI cables etc?

cheers,

• Advertisement

What are you buying, more than likely the soundcard will come with a usb lead thats it

what would you need the sound card for , or are you on bout gettin a usb mixer?

If i get a midi mixer, lets say the behringer ddm 4000, and a soundcard on top of that. What cables will I need to buy in order to route the sound from the soundcard to the mixer etc...

ah sory m8 dnt know nethin bou computer djin stuf :/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

lee_blaze wrote: »
    ah sory m8 dnt know nethin bou computer djin stuf :/

You don't know how to spell or use a keyboard either

serious? wow

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Leinster7

langer123 wrote: »
    Thanks franklyshocked.

Any suggestions as to good online sites to purchase speakers?...and any ideas to a good set to get for around 200-300?..including amp.

Thanks

Well Thomann.de is a good site but get yourelf a good pair of monitors and place them preferably above your decks/laptop setup left and right of your table top, on an isolated shelf or stand is best. Don't get that 5.1.
    I can recommend KRK Rokits for a low budget and extremely good quality.
    Depending on your mixer/amp setup check whether you need powered (with amp) or unpowered and get xlr leads to your mixer for best quality.

Regarding the controller, there is a reason why you don;t see any professionals using these things. It is fine if you want to have a bit of fun but they are pretty poor for control and feel in my experience and the mixer quality on these is very poor compared to a pro mixer or even a fun mixer like a pioneer djm400. Build quality is important if your going to be mixing a lot. In my opinion you'd be better off getting some cdj800s or technics 1210s, something like a pioneer djm400 (I say pioneer cos I think they are the most fun although I have a xone92 ;) and Rane Serato Sl3 or NI's Traktor, which are becoming the standard for professional dj's these days (Serato is my preference due to its simplicity and ease of use) or you could just get Ableton live to program your mix sets but is that really djing (Richie Hawtin)?

So probably you need to spend much more money if you want to mix like a professional, but then if you're serious it'll be worth it. And remember.....practice practice practice

Peas

• Registered Users Posts: 36,161 ✭✭✭✭ED E

If you're just starting off for a hobby then you dont need to splash major amounts of money, would suck if after a week you got bored like.

I use a laptop, controller and soundcard. When practicing I just use my sony hi-fi. Its a decent enough system and does fine for the small room. I have a big shelving unit above my desk which its built into. A pair of RCAs down to the soundcard on the desk and function on the remote, job done.

You could then spend the money you would spend on monitors on some nice cans/software or some second hand loudspeakers. I got two 350W 3-Ways for 200. They are nothing pro and you can see they usage but by god they do the job. Fingers crossed I'll be pushing them close to the red on the 31st:) The amp and speakons were another 235 so a total of 435 is a little over your budget, but I got the Amp new from Thomann.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 kidcisco

Hey Guys,

Used to Dj on Vinyl way back in the day...well out of touch at the moment...I've a Macbook (Just a regukar, not pro) would love to find a way of mixing on it from my pretty vast itunes selection....the cheaper the better....also, will i need a soundcard as well?

Thanks a mill!

Cisco!

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭franklyshocked

Loads of PC software out there but I'm a MAC novice myself.

You might be able to get a MAC copy of Virtual DJ or moving up the scale to Traktor to get you started, No need for a soundcard to get started, that said you probably won't be able to DJ properly like you used to unless you cen get a soundcard that has at least 2 seperate outputs, regardless of the platform you use.
    I'm sure there are some MAC peeps on here who can help you out though :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Leinster7

I can confirm that a regular intel macbook works just fine with Traktor and Serato.

Something that would be ideal for you is a MIDI controller like a Torq Xponent.
    I use one myself and also have a second one for sale if you are interested. It will automatically load up all the files and playlists from iTunes. Its a really cool piece of kit. Mail me if you are interested or I can post the link here if you want.

hi,

does anyone have experience of using the N.I. Audio 4 DJ running Windows Vista? I cant seem to find solid info of whether the soundcard is compatible with vista before I go and buy one,

cheers,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 kidcisco

Hey Frankly shcoked, Leinster 7 and G1987!

Thanks for your replies!!i've downloaded a trial of Traktor Pro and am doodling away...G1987 if you could post that link, that would be great,

Take care!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭EuskalHerria

I finally ordered decks after putting myself off for too long. I am interested in DJ'in as a hobby and take things from there and see where they lead.
    So does anyone have any ideas where I should start out on the path to learning the basics of DJ'ing?

I finally ordered decks after putting myself off for too long. I am interested in DJ'in as a hobby and take things from there and see where they lead.
    So does anyone have any ideas where I should start out on the path to learning the basics of DJ'ing?

learn by yourself DJin is just something that you learn from experience i don't believe in getting lessons i see it as a waist of money
    best way is to ask can you tag along with some dj in a club/mobile and learn from what he/she does

hope that helped :)

lee_blaze wrote: »
    best way is to ask can you tag along with some dj in a club/mobile and learn from what he/she does

hope that helped :)
    For fear of looking like thoe idiots that think their cool because they know the dj, I might give that option a miss unless for a while:D Maybe thats a sligo thing though.

I don't want to get lessons,. I think I have a good ear for music in a general sense (I would) so I want to apply it to the music i'd like to play and the music most djs have to play in nightclubs and that. If I cant get it after a while I think i'll reckon i'll give it a miss, go back to being a music appreciator and be glad I tried.
    Plan to join the DJ soc in my college next week, be saying ot for a while but need to start learning and how best but with those who are genuinely interested and learning aswell.

In comparison with what other people tend to listen to, my music taste in some sense would be seen as main stream dance music (stuff like the isos series and im a fan of armin, then the likes of Gabriel and dresden, sean tyas, JoC, etc) It isn't restricted to those better known artist but for the most part I admit that I havn't adventured too far within dance so far.
    so basically after that rant is there any artist people reccomend? Preferably that would transition me into better artists and not just land me from a-z in a heartbeat. Cheers in advance.

The best way you will learn is simply by fooling around with the gear yourself.

I posted helpful videos to this site to help all levels of DJs - http://forums.pioneerdj.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/4281012904/m/880106872/p/1

G1987 wrote: »
    The best way you will learn is simply by fooling around with the gear yourself.

I posted helpful videos to this site to help all levels of DJs - http://forums.pioneerdj.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/4281012904/m/880106872/p/1
    Cheers for that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 stereoman

Hi guys im a first time user of the site its pretty informative. i was wondering if anyone could tell me where i can get cheap dj lessons or if there wasanything like that workshopsandthe likes!!!

cheers

ste

Advertisement