Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post primary return to schools roadmap

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Polka_Dot

I haven't tried it myself but apparently a small bit of washing up liquid rubbed into your glasses works. My main issue with the ones I've been wearing is that I can sit my glasses so that they don't fog up, but after a while they start really pinching my nose. Minor complaint really but definitely annoying. I wonder would a visor alone suffice for chalk and talk style teaching (which it seems we're being forced to do) and then putting on a mask for any closer contact. Might be more trouble than it's worth though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

Polka_Dot wrote: »
    I haven't tried it myself but apparently a small bit of washing up liquid rubbed into your glasses works. My main issue with the ones I've been wearing is that I can sit my glasses so that they don't fog up, but after a while they start really pinching my nose. Minor complaint really but definitely annoying. I wonder would a visor alone suffice for chalk and talk style teaching (which it seems we're being forced to do) and then putting on a mask for any closer contact. Might be more trouble than it's worth though.

Don't do this ... it damages the protection on your glasses - anti glare etc. The tissue on the top over the nose works for me but I haven't had a mask on all day! If you move your glasses down your nose slightly helps as well.

If you really want to make the students laugh, put a plaster on the top over the nose :)

Here is an idea for the TYs to create a comfortable facemask for glasses wearers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭BonsaiKitten

pandoraj09 wrote: »
    Just back from Tesco. Wore one of those blue disposable masks. My main issue with them is my glasses steaming up. The optician said there's no way around it. The specsavers stuff someone recommended here didn't work. I can't wear contacts. The kids will be having great craic watching me trying to teach with a mask, a visor and steamed up glasses.....

I use masks that strap around my head for this reason. Have a look at @combatcovidmasks on Insta - her Solo masks don't fog for me, though you'd need to fiddle around with the straps a bit. She's not the quickest at shipping though so mightn't suit but I'm sure other people are making similar masks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭djemba djemba

If a teacher doesn't fill in the return to work form three days before going back or doesn't do the covid training, is there any sanction?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

If a teacher doesn't fill in the return to work form three days before going back or doesn't do the covid training, is there any sanction?

They really have ZERO excuse not to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭am_zarathustra

Don't do this ... it damages the protection on your glasses - anti glare etc. The tissue on the top over the nose works for me but I haven't had a mask on all day! If you move your glasses down your nose slightly helps as well.

If you really want to make the students laugh, put a plaster on the top over the nose :)

Here is an idea for the TYs to create a comfortable facemask for glasses wearers.

I bought anti-fog in specsavers last week and it's been absolutely unreal. Only need a tiny amount on the inside of my lens....I have very big glasses. Made wearing the mask so much better, the fog was really annoying and distracting.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

I got a spray called “ Callosport” which is excellent too .

I bought anti-fog in specsavers last week and it's been absolutely unreal. Only need a tiny amount on the inside of my lens....I have very big glasses. Made wearing the mask so much better, the fog was really annoying and distracting.

Yes I've heard about this as well - will invest in a few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

There’s a spray in spec savers to help with the fogging. Need to get some myself. It’ll be hard enough if we can’t see out either !!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,131 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Postgrad10 wrote: »
    There’s a spray in spec savers to help with the fogging. Need to get some myself. It’ll be hard enough if we can’t see out either !!

I dunno, I might prefer that :D

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Advertisement

I dunno, I might prefer that :D

We will need something for the nostrils as well - just think of entering a room that has been occupied by the same students since 9 a.m.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

Is anyone else still waiting to hear from their principal? I've still heard nothing :eek:

Have emailed them twice now and just keep getting told they will be in touch.

Is anyone else waiting to hear? Particularly interested to know if any ETB schools are yet to be contacted. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭ClydeTallyBump

Bananaleaf wrote: »
    Is anyone else still waiting to hear from their principal? I've still heard nothing :eek:

Is anyone else waiting to hear? Particularly interested to know if any ETB schools are yet to be contacted. Thanks

Haven't heard anything from my school at all. In the mean time, I have been buying more facemasks, visors and bought an amplifier from Amazon (a cheap one) in order to get prepared.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

We’ve been emailed the guidance document, then the email for appointing the covid role and then the circular was forwarded on Friday. Nothing specific to our school yet but I have heard some of it by word of mouth

We’ve been emailed the guidance document, then the email for appointing the covid role and then the circular was forwarded on Friday. Nothing specific to our school yet but I have heard some of it by word of mouth

• Registered Users Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭Dave0301

There is a lot of talk about schools reopening in the UK today as Boris has made a commitment to getting them reopened and MPs have been doing the media rounds today. They are citing an unpublished piece of research that states that the spread of Covid-19 in schools is minimal. The fact that this research appears to have been carried out in UK schools that only had very few children attending would suggest that it is flawed in itself in relation to a full reopening of schools.

This is obviously with a UK focus, but this thread runs through a lot of the same issues that will been seen back in Ireland as well.

https://twitter.com/adamhamdy/status/1292760173233213445

• Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭deiseindublin

Josepha was peddling that survey yesterday, along with pics of social distanced students, you couldn't make it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Scotland admitting they got the exam situation wrong.

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2020/0810/1158346-coronavirus-scotland/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dhaughton99

Bananaleaf wrote: »

Starting today, our school started a week long 25 student program to acclimatize them back to school.
    Also had teachers in to change layouts within classes but each one I talked to can’t see it being back open in sept or maybe for 2 weeks to get the Students setup for distance learning again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭Moody_mona

This is the face mask style. I wear my hair mostly in a pony tail so this will work well for me

https://www.reclaimedstitches.com/product/black-pink-drawstring-face-mask/

How will the mic work with the mask? Will the headset be under the fabric?

• Advertisement

Moody_mona wrote: »
    How will the mic work with the mask? Will the headset be under the fabric?

Mic outside. That’s what I recorded. Still makes a huge difference to the volume

• Registered Users Posts: 15,371 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Josepha was peddling that survey yesterday, along with pics of social distanced students, you couldn't make it up.

Here ya go Josepha....

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/three-children-test-positive-for-covid-19-at-meath-creche-39437298.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭Icsics

Have u a link for the Guidance doc by any chance Mirrorwall?
    Are most secondary’s moving to student based classrooms? There’ll be carnage in our place!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,371 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Icsics wrote: »
    Are most secondary’s moving to student based classrooms? There’ll be carnage in our place!

We're sticking with teacher based classrooms as most students are mixing for the vast majority of subjects, except subjects like religion and PE and core subjects in first year (we have streaming in second year).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭djemba djemba

Icsics wrote: »

We are sticking with teacher based classrooms

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭am_zarathustra

Same, seems like we are sticking to teacher based classrooms too. Wasn't going to make much of a difference to traffic and at least teachers will be responsible for the classroom, should help with keeping them clean.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭maynooth_rules

Anyone else have to go in to clear out their room yet? Had to do it today,.not nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭alroley

Glad to hear many schools are doing the sensible thing and keeping teacher based rooms. Wish mine was like that - the students are mixed for almost everything so both them and us will be moving around - madness!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Anyone else have to go in to clear out their room yet? Had to do it today,.not nice.

We were asked but I am heavily pregnant!! So just said I wouldn’t be able for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭DubLad69

Millem wrote: »
    We were asked but I am heavily pregnant!! So just said I wouldn’t be able for it.

So whats going to happen to all of your stuff?

Advertisement