Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dairy Chitchat 4, an udder new thread.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

Better to be looking at it than looking for it. I have a nice bit to make still though.

Protected urea with sulphur from gouldings used on it and that sone were saying they had issues with.
    I think its great stuff. Been spreading there protected urea with k most of the summer at home too

• Registered Users Posts: 11,058 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Second cut in yesterday ,another 24 bales of surplus as well ,maize looking like a bumper crop.yard bursting with feed since the drought ended a bumper summer for grass and it’s still flying
    Cows tipping along at 2.23’kgms 4.2 kg average feed in parlour looking like 12% cows empty including planned culls

• Registered Users Posts: 4,508 ✭✭✭straight

mahoney_j wrote: »
    Second cut in yesterday ,another 24 bales of surplus as well ,maize looking like a bumper crop.yard bursting with feed since the drought ended a bumper summer for grass and it’s still flying
    Cows tipping along at 2.23’kgms 4.2 kg average feed in parlour looking like 12% cows empty including planned culls

2.2 is fair going. Could you do it without feed to yield? Don't like going over the 10% empty here. They seem to have went better here than last year but there's bound to be a few surprises yet. I'd say grass is growing better here now than it did all year. It was slow enough getting going with the cold winds and it left me with a smaller pit than I hoped but plenty surplus bales since.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,055 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Dry cows mixed with the milkers this evening. Thankfully they have red tape and spray on them

straight wrote: »
    2.2 is fair going. Could you do it without feed to yield? Don't like going over the 10% empty here. They seem to have went better here than last year but there's bound to be a few surprises yet. I'd say grass is growing better here now than it did all year. It was slow enough getting going with the cold winds and it left me with a smaller pit than I hoped but plenty surplus bales since.

Sr of 3.9 on milk block from early April till end of year so demand high throughout ,times of year id proably get away with less feed but like to keep things consistent .fty a must for me ,if I had a diet feeder I’d proably get away without but then cows would have to be buffered most of year ,also another tractor and diet feeder plus associated running costs to count in
    I’ll be delighted with 12% as ai season just 11 weeks planned culls which I didn’t ai in that figure with them out about 8% .my bull was misfiring for a finish 2/3 nice cows empty as a result

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Will be scanning start of Sept but could be looking at 14/ 15% empty maybe, hopefully less but if so they will be late April calvers. Depending on how it and finances go between now and next spring may sell April calvers and buy in Feb calvers if I can. Disappointed as last year went very well, was 8% I think. Not sure what I'll do with empties, may just offload pre housing and simplify it alltogtehr

Will be scanning start of Sept but could be looking at 14/ 15% empty maybe, hopefully less but if so they will be late April calvers. Depending on how it and finances go between now and next spring may sell April calvers and buy in Feb calvers if I can. Disappointed as last year went very well, was 8% I think. Not sure what I'll do with empties, may just offload pre housing and simplify it alltogtehr

Mooooo wrote: »

That's what everyone else is planning too and that's why they sell for 3 or 400 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,922 ✭✭✭alps

Mooooo wrote: »

2018 should be a lesson to us...shortage of feed and a necessity to reduce demand to a bare minimum. We pregnancy tested at milk re ordering in August and pulled the plug on the empties immediately.....didn't do it last year.

I'm thinking there's more out of reducing the demand. We loose sight of the cost of keeping these cows as we only do a calculation based on feed in and milk out. The truth of it is that from the top of the grass growth curve, and positively for anything below the full grass demand figure(in our case 70) if you hold onto any of these empties, their actual consumption is fully bought in or conserved feed.

That sum will not add up..

2 good points above. In our case it's comfortable accommodation once housed as opposed to feed being the the issue. Could feed on extra nuts in the parlour while still milking em till the last are dried off and sell in Dec but would prob require heifers or some of them to be straw bedded in the other yard, creating more work. With silage ground back in down to 2.9 sr so fine while they are out.
    Have a couple of cow's going 2moro straight from the parlour as they have ongoing scc issues

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,875 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

When is the best time to scan, I took the bull away the 1st of august

kevthegaff wrote: »
    When is the best time to scan, I took the bull away the 1st of august

Leave it 30’days Kev

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

Scanning last 30 cows tomorrow and incalf heifers on thursday.

Looking like at least 10% empty inc planned culls

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

You may need to check calves for hoose. Lost one today and it's coming on fast according to the vet. Calves checked in morning and OK and bad with it in the evening. All dosed now and a few neighbours having trouble too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

You may need to check calves for hoose. Lost one today and it's coming on fast according to the vet. Calves checked in morning and OK and bad with it in the evening. All dosed now and a few neighbours having trouble too.

Never have goose troubles here so I don't know much about it, what are the main causes? Is it just high burdens on pastures from adult stock exacerbated by the muggy weather?

Never have goose troubles here so I don't know much about it, what are the main causes? Is it just high burdens on pastures from adult stock exacerbated by the muggy weather?

The warm wet weather the last few days led to a big hatch. Mine on sheep ground so burden should be low but obviously not low enough.

And don't use Ivermectins on hoose, the kill is too fast and can cause autoimmune issues with calves.

They're due their next dose next week.

Dosed my calves for first time this year yesterday with zearl and covered for flys as well with spot on .noticed a few coughs last few days longest I’ve ever left calves to dose,no ****ty arses and no coughs and thriving so left it off

Dosed em first time here1st July with albex, read the herd test 31st, and gave em an injectable ivermectin then as a bit of coughing, seem to be doing ok. But weather is lethal for it at the minute alright. Have heifers following they seem to be grand, did them with albex in June and that was it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,843 ✭✭✭mf240

Why is this weather lethal. Is it the strong growth.

• Advertisement

Seen it earlier v impressive milks all year round tho so every cow dose 305 plus day lactation

mf240 wrote: »
    Why is this weather lethal. Is it the strong growth.

Temperature and rain leading to a big hatch, i think.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,026 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

Dosed my calves for first time this year yesterday with zearl and covered for flys as well with spot on .noticed a few coughs last few days longest I’ve ever left calves to dose,no ****ty arses and no coughs and thriving so left it off

same havent dosed yet but no coughing just dosent feel right

• Registered Users Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭cosatron

great herd of cows, its a credit to him. years and years of breeding with good bulls from good cow families will get you these type of results.

The warm wet weather the last few days led to a big hatch. Mine on sheep ground so burden should be low but obviously not low enough.

And don't use Ivermectins on hoose, the kill is too fast and can cause autoimmune issues with calves.

They're due their next dose next week.

we use bimectin on the calves, we find it very effective and doesn't seem to any problems afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭dar31

cosatron wrote: »
    great herd of cows, its a credit to him. years and years of breeding with good bulls from good cow families will get you these type of results.

As well as the huge volume of feed.

Fair play to him though, nice cows

dar31 wrote: »
    As well as the huge volume of feed.

Fair play to him though, nice cows

Well feeding them well is obviously paying off and he can afford to have a high stocking rate on the paddocks with the buffering.

cosatron wrote: »
    Well feeding them well is obviously paying off and he can afford to have a high stocking rate on the paddocks with the buffering.

I’ve no issue with the feed either ,Sr is high and there putting it in tank I’m betting there’s a nice side in selling stock as well ,all adds up .love to see the coop report

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭blackdog1

I’ve no issue with the feed either ,Sr is high and there putting it in tank I’m betting there’s a nice side in selling stock as well ,all adds up .love to see the coop report

Yea the maize buffering is a great idea. Let's him carry an extra 15-20 cows id say while keeping fat and milk up as well as condition. It's nice to see.

• Advertisement

Co-op report probably has about 2 or 3 stars for fat/protein percentage and the same for cents per litre. 5 stars for litres per cow and ms per cow. That's the way mine looks anyway. Cents per litre is a bit of a distraction for alot of people.

Advertisement