Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Mart Price Tracker

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭ruwithme

Seen a 38 month old ch heifer sold today in bjd mart. 820kg €1800

• Registered Users Posts: 11,133 ✭✭✭✭Base price

ruwithme wrote: »
    Seen a 38 month old ch heifer sold today in bjd mart. 820kg €1800
    She will be killed as a heifer irrespective of her age.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,681 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Isn't it amazing. When cattle get scarce, over 30 months is no problem.

'The Bishops blessed the Blueshirts in Galway, As they sailed beneath the Swastika to Spain'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭DukeCaboom

There was a dinger of a store cow in gortatlea Friday. 600kg €1380. Its a no brainer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,669 ✭✭✭50HX

DukeCaboom wrote: »
    There was a dinger of a store cow in gortatlea Friday. 600kg €1380. Its a no brainer.

Heard twas crazy there last friday

Over 400 cows nevermind the rest

• Advertisement

Why is Gortatlea so successful?
    (I was there once)

'The Bishops blessed the Blueshirts in Galway, As they sailed beneath the Swastika to Spain'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,669 ✭✭✭50HX

Why is Gortalea so successfull?
    (I was there once)

In fairness to him he will call and look at your stock unlike other marts

Transport to the mart for sale is provided...at a cost obviously

Good contacts with northern buyers

Must be doing something right....seen cattle from cork and east imerick there

Why is Gortatlea so successful?
    (I was there once)

Because he will usually guarantee you a price. If you want he'll come out to your farm call what the cattle are worth and pull out his cheque book and give you a cheque. He takes the uncertainty out of it.

He is a charasmatic man too which also helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

Because he will usually guarantee you a price. If you want he'll come out to your farm call what the cattle are worth and pull out his cheque book and give you a cheque. He takes the uncertainty out of it.

He is a charasmatic man too which also helps.

How can any auctioneer guarantee a price?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,239 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Cavanjack wrote: »

Maybe he agrees to make up the shortfall.

That said, he'd know the market inside out and wouldn't have to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭Dozer1

To me it's a shame him and castleisland don't join up. His mart is too small for the numbers he's bringing in. Ideally they'd flatten gortalea use castleisland until a modern mart would be built in his site.

As for his success I've spoken to many who swear by him and many who have the polar opposite opinion he travels the country for cattle but is it sustainable I don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

Danzy wrote: »
    Maybe he agrees to make up the shortfall.

That said, he'd know the market inside out and wouldn't have to.

Sure if he is only getting €18 a head commission he wouldn’t be long going broke at that rate.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,870 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

Sure if he is only getting €18 a head commission he wouldn’t be long going broke at that rate.

I suppose you'd be hoping the occasion of a shortfall would be limited and there'd be some profit if you were a judge of your business most of the time. It's just cattle dealing really but you'd be interested in the seller doing well out of the equation as well as you and the eventual final buyer. Mart managers buying cattle off lads won't be that uncommon in the marts I frequent, the man in question might buy them before hand but I know other's who'd buy unsold lots after the sale. A manager is basically a referee between all parties and it's not that envious of a job imo. Anyone I ever saw doing that well out of it put in huge effort and it's as much a way of life as a job tbh.

He owns the mart. Feeds alot of cattle himself, has no fear of taking them back to his own place. You've know idea how able this man is.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭straight

He owns the mart. Feeds alot of cattle himself, has no fear of taking them back to his own place. You've know idea how able this man is.

He is good but likewise there's alot of mart managers that couldn't be bothered. Our local mart manager is all for the buyer.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭dodo mommy

dodo mommy wrote: »
    I've a good quality ch dry cow round 800kg to go. Am I better to factory her or sell in mart?

Well I sold her in the mart ended up getting 2.17/kg for her wouldn't have gotten within an asses roar of that in the factory for her.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭memorystick

What are 300-350kgs Hr bullocks making?

dodo mommy wrote: »
    Well I sold her in the mart ended up getting 2.17/kg for her wouldn't have gotten within an asses roar of that in the factory for her.

That's some price.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭tanko

I’ve seen cows making up to €2.30/kg lately.

tanko wrote: »

Northern lads can get the young tight ones away as heifers above.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭tanko

Northern lads can get the young tight ones away as heifers above.

If that’s what they’re doing then there’s nothing to stop the factories in the price fixing cartel down here doing the same.
    They had no problem passing horse meat off as beef recently.

If that’s what they’re doing then there’s nothing to stop the factories in the price fixing cartel down here doing the same.
    They had no problem passing horse meat off as beef recently.

The uk dept can't see if there's a calf registered to the Irish heifer or not.
    More power to them lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Welding Rod

Ya. I sold a char cow five year old. 825kg €1865!!
    660kg lim five year old €1290. That was two weeks ago. They seem to be back a bit last week though. The virus in meat plants not helping I’d say.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

limo bullock off of a spx photo in livestock thread- 330kg- €770 made €40 more than his black equivalent that was sold a few weeks ago.

I see there on livestock live now, you can actually download a clip of any of the cattle that went through the ring. Some flaming heifers in gortatlea tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

Sold this lad in Carnaross last week, 700kgs, €1,610, I hear he was killed in NI this week, he would surely blow money, guessing he would be an R grade.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Anto_Meath wrote: »
    Sold this lad in Carnaross last week, 700kgs, €1,610, I hear he was killed in NI this week, he would surely blow money, guessing he would be an R grade.

Depending on the base he make about 1500-1550 in the factory here at present. I expect he be an R+

Slava Ukrainii

I see there on livestock live now, you can actually download a clip of any of the cattle that went through the ring. Some flaming heifers in gortatlea tonight.

Ya, that must be new. I see Ennis Mart have it now too. Just look down through the 'Catalogue'.

Ya, that must be new. I see Ennis Mart have it now too. Just look down through the 'Catalogue'.

Buddy sold heifers 390kg 1000. Pt cows dovea lm sires.

• Advertisement

Advertisement