Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Decent weedkiller recommendation?

• 05-08-2020 10:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    So recently moved into a house in the countryside, and the driveway is a mix of loose gravel, mud and weeds.

I have sprayed the drive using Resolva extra , at slightly over the recommended dose using a pump sprayer.
    That was a week ago, and i have seen nothing happening, actually some weeds are still growing.

Has anyone any recommendations for a decent weed killer that will work?
    I have used the regular resolva spray bottle on my old garden and it worked great within a few days.

I bought the 37 euro bottle of resolva extra thinking it would do a great job, but so far all it has done is....nothing....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,380 ✭✭✭✭listermint

personally i found a white vinegar mix worked great on my gravel driveway. obviously its permanent for the location being sprayed and should be applied during dry periods where the weed sucks in all of the mix.

Bought 5 litre bottles of white vinegar from an asian food shop for very little. far more cost effective than off the shelf weed killers.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Irish_peppa

listermint wrote: »
    personally i found a white vinegar mix worked great on my gravel driveway. obviously its permanent for the location being sprayed and should be applied during dry periods where the weed sucks in all of the mix.

Bought 5 litre bottles of white vinegar from an asian food shop for very little. far more cost effective than off the shelf weed killers.

I had these real nuisance big dirty weeds around my house that I was forever pulling at them (had used loads of weed killers they never actually killed the root system). Got talking to a gardener who i noticed was spraying weeds. Asked him what he used. Roundup Biactive was the only thing he used he said. It absorbs into the weed and goes right down into the root takes a few weeks but it kills that weed stone dead right down to the tips of its roots. Amazing stuff but lethal stuff whatever vegetation it lands on will not survive :eek: I inadvertendly sprayed some on a grass patch and it took about 2 months for grass to reappear it was like a mini nuke went off in that patch of grass lol
    , but i hear also quite toxic (cancer causing ingredients in it) so you have to be really really careful using it. Would white vinegar neutralise the weed right down to its root tips?

https://www.baumhedlundlaw.com/safe-alternative-to-roundup/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

what ratio did you use to mix it?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,380 ✭✭✭✭listermint

what ratio did you use to mix it?

neat with washing up liquid and salt. plenty of recipes on google.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭Grats

Hi,
    So recently moved into a house in the countryside, and the driveway is a mix of loose gravel, mud and weeds.

I have sprayed the drive using Resolva extra , at slightly over the recommended dose using a pump sprayer.
    That was a week ago, and i have seen nothing happening, actually some weeds are still growing.

Has anyone any recommendations for a decent weed killer that will work?
    I have used the regular resolva spray bottle on my old garden and it worked great within a few days.

I bought the 37 euro bottle of resolva extra thinking it would do a great job, but so far all it has done is....nothing....

Resolva takes more than a week to act, from my experience. Give it another week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,802 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Re: the vinegar/salt combo being mentioned, did I read recently that only use salt if you don't intend to grow anything in the area for the next decade as it wipes out everything and makes the area totally dead?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,939 ✭✭✭✭looksee

There are different Resolva products. If what you have is the systemic one then you will not expect to see any effects for at least a week as the weedkiller is working down into the roots to kill the entire plant, not just the top. You may then still see a few healthy weeds that have come up from seed in the time between spraying and the sprayed plants dying. Yes with systemic weedkiller the weeds can sometimes look if anything healthier in the short term. Also if it rained within about 6 hours or so of the application it will have been diluted or even washed off the leaves.

Give it a few more days then spray again and you should see some results.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭blindside88

Roundup Biactive is what I use. Find it great. I sprayed it on Tuesday and can already see the weeds wilting and moss turning brown. As has been mentioned above though, be careful when using it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭monkeynuz

Roundup Biactive is what I use. Find it great. I sprayed it on Tuesday and can already see the weeds wilting and moss turning brown. As has been mentioned above though, be careful when using it

If you're seeing results that fast you've completely overdone the mix and may have actually burnt the plant rather than kill down to the root.

It may have worked, but then again....

• Registered Users Posts: 31,001 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

NIMAN wrote: »
    Re: the vinegar/salt combo being mentioned, did I read recently that only use salt if you don't intend to grow anything in the area for the next decade as it wipes out everything and makes the area totally dead?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salting_the_earth

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭blindside88

monkeynuz wrote: »
    If you're seeing results that fast you've completely overdone the mix and may have actually burnt the plant rather than kill down to the root.

It may have worked, but then again....

Thanks for that. I’ll bear that in mind while mixing it in future

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Garlinge

Weedkillers are carcinogenic. So be careful about inhaling chemicals in use. And consider long term damage to groundwater. How about a bit of elbow grease with a hoe to shift the weeds, many will shrivel up in dry hot weather. With others, you will need to get roots totally out like dandelion and dock like carrots go deep into ground. Maybe top up the driveway with more gravel to make less attractive for new weeds to take root. The seed of the old ones will be around for many a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,795 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

neat with washing up liquid and salt. plenty of recipes on google.

Jesus & people complain about roundup. That's one seriously toxic mix if you are a soil dwelling creature.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭spose

Gallup is identical to round up...same active ingredient and concentration. A good bit cheaper though

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Discodog wrote: »
    Jesus & people complain about roundup. That's one seriously toxic mix if you are a soil dwelling creature.

Nicer and safer than roundup on fish & chips though.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭blackbox

Nicer and safer than roundup on fish & chips though.

Well, I wouldn't fancy putting detergent on my chips.

Salt & vinegar are meant for chips - not approved as a weedkiller.

Roundup is for killing weeds (not approved for fish & chips).

• Registered Users Posts: 28,703 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

blackbox wrote:

Tis fecken nice though

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

blackbox wrote: »
    Well, I wouldn't fancy putting detergent on my chips.

Salt & vinegar are meant for chips - not approved as a weedkiller.

Why would you need someone to approve the use of vinegar with salt as a weedkiller?

It works, and it works really quickly plus it's a lot safer to use than any of the chemical potions.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,795 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Why would you need someone to approve the use of vinegar with salt as a weedkiller?

It works, and it works really quickly plus it's a lot safer to use than any of the chemical potions.

It is a chemical potion. Acetic acid & sodium chloride, both toxic to wildlife.

Advertisement