Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Outer Wilds

Comments

recyclops wrote: »
    i have started wilds 7 times now thinking i am the problem, but i just cant get into it, nothing makes me want to play the game, I have got off the initial planet but i dont know why i keep turning it off and never returnng.

Going to every planet filled me with wonder. So many jaw dropping moments. Maybe it isn't for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,472 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Going to every planet filled me with wonder. So many jaw dropping moments. Maybe it isn't for you.

I actually threw it on randomly a few nights ago as I'd never been to the sun station and fancied trying it. I landed on ash twin and was just amazed by what was going on around. First time dropping into Giants Deep, the mystery of Dark Bramble, the Interloper, just ****ing amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

recyclops wrote: »
    i have started wilds 7 times now thinking i am the problem, but i just cant get into it, nothing makes me want to play the game, I have got off the initial planet but i dont know why i keep turning it off and never returnng.

I tried it out early on was very underwhelmed. Went back to it again without realising it was the same game and initially felt the same, but something hooked me, really got into it then.

But in fairness not everyone likes everything. Some weird people even liked Control *ducks*

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Mr.Fantastic

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Aw stay at it man, it's totally worth it.

Did it on my first try this evening wow what an ending will stick with me for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

MOH wrote: »

But in fairness not everyone likes everything. Some weird people even liked Control *ducks*

I'm with you on that one. Thought it was a load of shyte. Was uninstalled pretty quickly. Looked good with the raytracing but that was about all that was going for it.

EDIT: Also never completed this game. Got too annoying on the ash twin. Which reminds me... I meant to youtube the ending.

• Advertisement

I'm with you on that one. Thought it was a load of shyte. Was uninstalled pretty quickly. Looked good with the raytracing but that was about all that was going for it.

EDIT: Also never completed this game. Got too annoying on the ash twin. Which reminds me... I meant to youtube the ending.

If you park the ship slap bang on top of the broken roof , it's more forgiving with the ash twin teleport.

Jam in the ship as much as you can and don't worry the ash waterfall thing will move it slightly but offer enough protection for you to get warped

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

In fairness, I hate having to google solutions, but I found the Ash Twin final solution very unintuitive, and had to cave. Well worth doing that though, and finishing it

This was an amazing run. And now I'm listening to Outer Wilds ost for the rest of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,489 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Just finished this last night. What a game. Have been reading/watching theories/explanations for the ending whenever I've had a chance as I found it all a bit hard to comprehend.

I had to use a guide for some bits as I kinda had to rush it. I wish I didn't, but I have a baby on the way any day now. What my last baby taught me was gaming takes a hit for a few months and I didn't want to take a break in the middle of playing this. Would love to have had more time.
    I just wandered from planet to planet, taking it all in at first and merely getting snippets of what was happening. Got eaten instantly in Dark Bramble and ran into ghost matter as soon as I hopped out of my ship on Giant's Deep so initially thought these were merely endgame planets, so didn't go back for ages.

I had heard Brittle Hollow is the most exploration-rich planet (I disagree - Ember Twin has more IMO), so concentrated there at first. Thought I discovered everything without a guide, but had to go back there as I realised I never got inside the Tower Of Quantum Knowledge.

Discovered much of Ember Twin myself but only got to the Sunless City once and couldn't remember how to get back there, so referred to guide. Also needed the guide to figure out the anglerfish clue and felt like a dope when I realised how obvious it was. Used the guide to figure out quantum entanglement with the rock - again, bloody obvious.

Moved onto Ash Twin. Took me a good few attempts to get to the Sun Station (didn't think it was necessary - nice surprise though) but needed the guide to get to the core. Don't think I'd ever have figured that out myself.

Moved onto Giant's Deep. Explored the construction yard, quantum tower and probe cannon, but needed the guide to get inside the statue factory and the core. I could go under the current, but that was it. Hadn't explored Dark Bramble so didn't have the jellyfish clue. By the end of this, I hadn't put any dots together and hypothesised that those two who shot the probe at full power were responsible for the supernova/loop.

Moved onto Quantum Moon. Again, shouldn't have had to, but used the guide to find out how to land. Many false starts later and I finally got to the north pole and found yer man.

Got stuck into Dark Bramble and had no idea what to do. Top of guide I had mentioned the signalscope and that was a eureka moment. Found whatshisface, found the jellyfish (ah-ha), found the Nomai grave and had some rage inducing moments with the three anglerfish. Spent too long thinking I got rid of them by backing out of the seed and going back in, only to find myself lost every time. Guide told me to be patient and glide from the get go, which eventually worked.

Triggered the ending. Mind blown. But really wish I had more time as it would have been so much better.

Look at this crazy mahfakka. Speedrun in just over 12 minutes without a ****ing ship!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,489 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Watching that, I discovered another bloody obvious thing I missed: sleeping by the campfire to speed up time! I never took any notice of it. Could have made things far easier when I
    was getting into the ash twin core. I used to just land my ship near the warp pad and play on my phone for 7 minutes until it was time

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,226 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Holy ****.

https://twitter.com/A_i/status/1387531813946413059

As excited as I am by more Outer Wilds, I'm also extremely wary. Extremely. Outer Wilds was one of the most complete singular stand alone stories, so I'm not sure how you go about adding DLC to it. Perhaps it's just adding stuff into the existing story? Almost like a directors cut of it?

This better come to consoles A S A ****ING P!

I boot it now now and again just to fly around the planets and take in the wonder of all the different moving parts. This has now become my most reached game of '21.

I played this for about 30 minutes and I had no idea what was going on.

Good thing it was from GamePass.

I played this for about 30 minutes and I had no idea what was going on.

Good thing it was from GamePass.

I think of you're stuck, it's worth looking up a quick hint on where to start. Each panel has major points that move you to the next bit of story. There is a console on your ship which keeps track of what you find so you can also look at that on where to hear next. I know it's not for everyone but if it can grab you at all, it's an amazing experience.

Similar to Subnautica for me. I played for 30 minutes, couldn't find anything and no idea what i was supposed to do. Left it for a few weeks and googled how to get the repair tool. Got me over that hump and it became one of my favourite games of all time.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,081 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Cannot **** wait! I don't even care how much it costs, hook it to my eyeballs!

Probably mentioned getting this free from MS during their E3 briefing and having to wait nearly a year for it to come out. What a game. I kind of hope it isn't free as I'd gladly throw the developer a few quit for it. Reminds me I actually bought the PS4 version and haven't played it yet.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,081 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I think enough time has passed to suggest Outer Wilds is the best video game ever made.

I genuinely do believe it is.

• Advertisement

It's definitely one of those rare one's you wish you could forget so you can experience it for the first time again.

I wonder if the DLC will live up to the gigantic expectations we all excusably have or should they have left as is.

What hype? 'Best video game ever made' is a very modest statement IMO 😎

Actually jealous of all the first time experiences you'll have with this. Just try avoid looking up anything about it until you're really stuck. I had to go to Google a few times but I've read recent patches have given more clues about puzzles. I've also read people giving up when not knowing what to do next which is a shame.

Since the DLC is out next week, I decided to go back to try get the platinum (and brush up on my pilot skills). I only had 24% of trophies and now down to the last 3, absolutely great craic getting them all, I almost forgot how incredible this game is.

Currently trying to manually land on the sun station. Jesus, it's difficult. Then I have to complete the game in one loop and also fill out the ships log which may take some time considering I have question marks where I was certain I had already been and completed.

It's the only one I don't have on Xbox on PS4 I was nearly bald in my attempts at landing. The one time I got it right I undid my seatbelt by accident and got flung to the back of the ship 😔

Well that's the platinum out the window, **** that sun station :)

New update today getting read for the dlc next week.

1.1.8 Changelog

Writing

Turkish is now an available language

Fixed writing and localization throughout the game

Polished clue for Southern Observatory and fixed a contradiction regarding the museum statue

New Nomai computer on Hollow’s Lantern

Tech

Overhauled input rebinding system

Planetary bodies and the sun no longer become invisible beyond a viewing distance of 50 km

Ocean shaders should be more optimized now

Numerous bug fixes

UI

“Gear Options” menu revamped to “Pre-flight Checklist” menu

Major menu revisions

Design

New building and campsite added to Timber Hearth

The doze off ability is now unlocked after getting the launch codes

Future exhibit site added to observatory museum

Hearthian Deep Space Satellite added to solar system

Increased player jump responsiveness

Boost can now be activated even if boost/jump input is pressed slightly before up thrust input

Made it easier to launch Scout through certain ruined walls

Hide-and-seek frequency is now removed after the tutorial

Traveler instruments are now affected by a certain event

Revised a visual aid in the Southern Observatory to be less misleading

Art

Improved lighting model on ghost matter crystals and similar shaders

Added ambient occlusion volumes to improve lighting in dark spaces

Updated credits sequence

1.1.9 Changelog

Numerous optimizations to improve performance

Numerous bugfixes, particularly to input and controller rebinding

14 new achievements/trophies added with that update. From the descriptions on some of the gameplay sounds a little different to the base game. I won't link to them as people might not want to know what they might suggest.

• Advertisement
Advertisement