Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

SOTC(state of the collection) thread.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

njburke wrote: »
    Which watch/brand are you asking about?
    I'ld generally only trust well established brands such as seiko or citizen on depth rating. Watches tested to ISO6425 are also good bet.
    Automatics or solar have the advantage that the factory tested seal remains intact as for longer( no need to break the tested seal to replace battery). I got 17 years on my seiko orange monster before the seal was broken to replace the movement.

Not pointing the finger at any particular manufacturer, but I have seen many robust diver-style designs that have water resistance ratings of 100 or 150m.

It just seems incongruous that they would go so far with the aesthetics of the type and then not actually make them functional as such.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭redlead

I'd go along the same lines as njburke. If a Seiko has a 150m water resistance, I would put my house on it that it would last a lifetime doing normal scuba diving. Seiko are actually renowned for being ultra conservative with their ratings. If a Pagani Design submariner "homage" sh1tter has 150m water resistance I wouldn't want to be going for a swim in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭njburke

There are many watches that look like a diving watch, are sold as diving watch but are not diving watches.The Merkur above is a good example.
    I used to make underwater diving equipment so I have some knowledge on testing in particular.
    The CNC tools that produced the merkur will knock out any watch case you can think of. I can't see the detail of the stem seal in particular. Pressure testing each watch validates the design and the article under test, any failures belong to the manufacturer.
    If you've got design and quality right, you'll see few failures.
    I once had a production run where an undersized O ring got into production, still gives me the shivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭Anjobe

Lorddrakul wrote: »
    Not pointing the finger at any particular manufacturer, but I have seen many robust diver-style designs that have water resistance ratings of 100 or 150m.

It just seems incongruous that they would go so far with the aesthetics of the type and then not actually make them functional as such.

Japan adopted the ISO standards for water resistant (ISO2281) and divers (ISO6425) watches as Japanese Industrial Standards (https://www.jcwa.or.jp/en/time/qa/qa08.html) so the ratings on Japanese brand watches are reliable. To know exactly what a Seiko rated at 150m means you also need to know whether the watch is marked as "Diver's" or "Water Resistant" on the dial or caseback. "Diver's 150m" means the watch can resist water ingress for 2 hrs at a depth of 1.25 * 150 = 187.5 m, so more than good enough for recreational scuba diving. I think 100m is the minimum rating for a diver's watch in the JIS.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,758 ✭✭✭✭unkel

unkel wrote: »
    Maybe I'll try some sort of orange Seiko first :D

Orange Seiko incoming!

And do you all need to ask which one, really? Why a turtle of course :D

I'm down to 4 watches, 2 of which are for sale. So the turtle would make 5 - of which 3 are Seikos :eek:

• Advertisement

A watch box arrived from ebay this morning for15€, figured I'd get something to keep them tidy at least. Also the burglar doesn't have to root around too much to find them.

I've been collecting for about two years, I had 3 or so and then banged up the everyday watch, a seiko orange monster so that spurred me to get a replacement. I've been snacking on the affordables ever since.

Most of these are in the 100 to 300 euro range. The Doxa and breitling a bit more. The Scubapro is actually a dive computer, retailed at £1200 when it was new. Some are second hand some are new, micro brands and vintage.

The box is holds 20 and I still have some that won't fit inside. The box also made me realise I've got one missing in action , a Casio T200. I last remember taking that off my wrist when I collected the Accutron from the parcel motel, my guess is its in the car somewhere.
    Also not shown is whats on my wrist, my latest acquisition a Casio GBX100.
    And there are two more to come in a Lip Super Nautic and a Seiko Advan (a chunk of 70s funk).

524689.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 16,466 ✭✭✭✭banie01

The bulova in the top right looks a lovely piece!
    Great collection NJ.

I might put that and the S100 on the chopping block. I think the trick in the long run is to get by with a smaller box. I could have bought a 24 watch box, but went with the 20 slot box. I.ve a bit of everthing in there, Wibbs focuses on WW2 axis timepieces which is probably a good idea, pick a genre or theme and stay within that. I might get a HAQ dress watch like the SBGV225 Grand Seiko, but I've to lay off the affordables for a while, or flog some of them.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,071 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Wibbs focuses on WW2 axis timepieces which is probably a good idea, pick a genre or theme and stay within that.
    Oh how I wish my focus was so narrow... :eek::o:D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Wibbs wrote: »
    Oh how I wish my focus was so narrow... :eek::o:D

I know you have the Lip Nautic and the ultronic diver, they got my attention. How big is your watch box?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭saccades

A watch box arrived from ebay this morning for15€, figured I'd get something to keep them tidy at least. Also the burglar doesn't have to root around too much to find them.

I've been collecting for about two years, I had 3 or so and then banged up the everyday watch, a seiko orange monster so that spurred me to get a replacement. I've been snacking on the affordables ever since.

Most of these are in the 100 to 300 euro range. The Doxa and breitling a bit more. The Scubapro is actually a dive computer, retailed at £1200 when it was new. Some are second hand some are new, micro brands and vintage.

The box is holds 20 and I still have some that won't fit inside. The box also made me realise I've got one missing in action , a Casio T200. I last remember taking that off my wrist when I collected the Accutron from the parcel motel, my guess is its in the car somewhere.
    Also not shown is whats on my wrist, my latest acquisition a Casio GBX100.
    And there are two more to come in a Lip Super Nautic and a Seiko Advan (a chunk of 70s funk).

I have the twins to two of your watches and there is a third you have that's at the top of my list to get next.

saccades wrote: »
    I have the twins to two of your watches and there is a third you have that's at the top of my list to get next.

It's a random enough assemblage, each is a little different.
    What have we in common so? And what's on the list.

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭Roycropper63

Lovely collection nj. Have an orange dial on my radar. Thinking of going for a
    38mm islander when funds allow

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭IrishPlayer

Great collection nj,thanks for sharing.Love seeing another Bell-Matic on here,fantastic watches,top of the line back then,not cheap either,will always have one in my collection.

08lEs4n.png

Have been reflecting on my own little collection lately,still in shock finding the Dolphin Bell.Never imagined I would add another Bell to the collection,let alone a Dolphin! Not one for selling as I get too attached to them so have to be careful in where I go next,so many great watches in the Seiko line alone.

With the way the prices are going,combined with the fakes/frankens on the rise, finding posts of long time collectors with years of knowledge finding it harder to spot the fakes and the good examples drying up,just really grateful for what I have.

Speaking of Bell-Matics,while on the hunt for the bracelet,got in touch with Erik Strickland on Instagram [Link],the owner of the only Dolphin I could find on a bracelet.Found a video of his amazing collection,8 Boxes big!! ended up watching it from start to finish,I look up to collectors like this,knowing the history behind each watch.

Dolphin Bell @ 1:01:33,but highly recommend watching the whole video.

A recent addition to his collection posted on his Instagram not featured in the video :cool:

kIbbDCZ.jpg

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,071 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I know you have the Lip Nautic and the ultronic diver, they got my attention. How big is your watch box?
    Oh I don't have one. Any burglars will have to go digging. :D I've around 20 watches; Trench/early wristwatches, early electronic and quartz, a couple of digitals, some military stuff, Russian watches and a couple of others. And two pocket watches.
    A recent addition to his collection posted on his Instagram not featured in the video :cool:
    I'm wearing my one this very day. :)

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

It's a random enough assemblage, each is a little different.
    What have we in common so? And what's on the list.

The merkur and the bellmatic are in common and I'm definitely lusting after an orange monster.

I was 50:50 between that and the Stargate back in the day and the Stargate won but the monster is on the list after I get two mods and a refurb sorted.

I do like the steelux bracelet on your bellmatic, I've a leather strap as the bracelet mine arrived with is period Seiko but not great.

Yeah, the coffin link bracelet on the bellmatic is similar to the bracelet on the Bulova snorkel. I lucked out with the size of the bracelet on the bell, fitted like a glove. The merkur is nice apart from the M at the second hand counter balance, it screams lollipop but no, ego got the best of him there.
    Monster is the old timer in the bunch, orange dial is beginning to fade.

Yeah, the coffin link bracelet on the bellmatic is similar to the bracelet on the Bulova snorkel. I lucked out with the size of the bracelet on the bell, fitted like a glove. The merkur is nice apart from the M at the second hand counter balance, it screams lollipop but no, ego got the best of him there.
    Monster is the old timer in the bunch, orange dial is beginning to fade.

Patina I believe it is called... ;)

Possibly, or it's gaining something with age, the lacquer is almost all gone from the bezel. I bought a new old stock gen one, and compared the two. I have post here somewhere of the two side by side. I kept the old one and sold on the new one. They look better weathered.

AF1QipPi4pZyG-4Ucm6sPF_VXYLhLt8sJ4SAqo0h8gDc=s512-p-qv=pvi8mnthss0g128j8lar2pg3noig9ju57,m=e6371e4bbe745f41c7d2fd0560bad135,x=,t=25-iv4102?key=OWdXdFR0Z1hPNmdoRUE1Q0ZuZU1MaVk2Y1BldWRR

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Cyclingtourist

As I'm in a watch buying hiatus it's probably time to post some pics of the collection.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Cyclingtourist

And the final few.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭Fitz II

Hi All, Glad to be back after my enforced time off. I have been watching the forum and was sorry I could not participate, of all the forums on boards, this is the only one I missed. I spent a lot of time thinking about my watch collection over the last 3 months and decided to make a few changes both in collection mentality and collection content.

I am a self-confessed Rolex fanboy, and for robustness, recognisably, classic design, and resale value they cannot be beaten. However, it has become a bit of a “chase the popular model” game, and really, I want out of the game to stop chasing the cliche and enjoy the ones I have. Paying way over retail is not for me either, if I am paying 20k I want a watch the manufacturer values at 20k, not a 9k watch that the fake scarcity has distorted the grey market values to 20k but that you find is worth far from it when you go to actually sell.

I am getting bored of Rolex, and chasing and waiting for slight variants of the same old watch has become a bit tedious for me, the new releases have really confirmed this for me. Rolex don’t really innovate, they iterate. And while that’s fine and dandy, its easy tire of it once you have had a few. Been there done that, had loads and over it now.

I realise a lot on here would class my frequent watch trading as flipping and wonder why I do not stick to a lot of watches. Like a sailboat into the wind, I need to tack from side to side to get to the intended destination. It is a form of fun saving so long as I do not make stupid decisions. It also allows me to better form opinions on my collection and changing tastes. I think I am not a huge big fan of dive watches; I have had a lot but I think apart from maybe a discount diver, I don’t want a big money diver.

Recently I have ditched a lot of watches, trading them up and culling ones I never wear. If I seem to have dismissed a watch that you like, there is absolutely no offence intended. There are almost as many watches as there are collectors, and everyone has their own tastes. But remember I never bought a watch I did not like, because you never know when you will get stuck. At the same time, I actively try not to buy watches that nobody likes.,. This notion on watch forums of “wear what you like” is fine if you are a) Really rich or b) buying cheap watches. If you are neither you need to take a bit of care not to impulse buy things. I got stung recently with a watch I purchased while drinking too much beer and lost more money on a 500 euro purchase than I did selling a 9k datejust.

What I have come to realise is that for me interesting watches are often not popular and often popular watches are not interesting. However, I am not into being a “wacky crazy and unique guy”, I would rather a few generally desirable and quality, iconic pieces than a ton of average watches that get no wrist time, or worse soak up wrist time I could be spending with my heavy hitters. Iconic watches is a naff term, but these designs that have stood the test of time are usually really nice, and usually have a broad resale market. A friend aptly described filler watches in your collection as “blockers”, so I ruthlessly culled them all. I just look at them and feel guilt for never wearing them no matter how affordable, or wonder when I am wearing them why I am not wearing one of my better ones (often thought I need a “my other watch is a Rolex tee shirt”). Hell, you only have so many days left of watch wear in your life, why am I bothering not wearing my best watches?

I sold the Hulk and no date sub. Both were fantastic watches. I had dismissed the hulk before but I was wrong, it’s a stunner and the green colour is fantastic…its just not 13-15k fantastic (or 29k fantastic if the internet is to be believed, which it is not) by any stretch of the imagination, so I got out while the going was good and riding the wave of “soon to be discontinued” hype. Great watch, I would have one again at retail. No date sub was good too, however my wife stole it on me, and I never got to wear it, so I got that gone before she got too used to it.

So, I have trimmed the collection down to the following 4 watches

Screenshot-2020-09-14-182550.png

Rolex Milgauss – This is an excellent everyday watch. Just back from Rolex from its service. They do such a good job of polishing the watch it is as good as new and keeping excellent time. I really love this watch, that hint of Rolex green is recognisable from across the room and the dial is fun without being ostentatious. Simple 3 hander wind and wear. Its not a hype model, so the pressure of recognising and selling at the peak is not there, although they are on a steady rise. This was the first Rolex I bought and where the bug really started for me for quality watches, or more accurately watches of a value where the purchase was very considered.

It is got a good size to it also, it’s not a dainty watch and has good presence. This is as close as Rolex get to personality. People go on about polished centre links, I don’t get that. A brushed watch gets a scratch just the same. And the secret I learned is that it doesn’t matter if you scratch a watch, unless you take a big chunk out of the case. Fine scratches are irrelevant and are in fact easier polish out of a polished surface than a brushed one. The notion that an expensive watch is a “tool” is really dumb. It’s the only acceptable bit of jewellery lads can wear, and jewellery should be shiny.

Screenshot-2020-09-14-182604.png

JLC Master Calendar – This is my dress watch although it is still informal enough. I like that heavy complication look to the Dial and classic case shape, the moon phase is useless but lovely and everything about this watch is perfectly executed. The level of finishing on the dial and hands is flawless, far better than many of the Rolex. There is a newer version (two actually) of this, but if you look those up, the Day & Month windows are the eyes to a very sad face (once you see it you cannot unsee it) this version as well as having a reserve complication has wider set Month/Day windows and is a lot less sad looking.

I like this watch a lot and it was great value. Got it from Watchfinder. The 40-hour reserve is a little short on a watch like this TBH but its fun to set with all its little pushers, although I tend not to choose it if I am in a hurry. This has a display back, which is nice, but honestly on any automatic watch except micro rotors, all you really see is the rotor and bridges, the strap gets in the way. It adds unnecessary height IMHO, I may be one of the only people that find display back pointless and unnecessary. I really like this watch, and every time I put it one I wonder why I don’t wear it more. Ideally, I would move this up to a similar style yellow gold Patek or Vacheron, so I cannot say this is a permanent part of the collection.

Screenshot-2020-09-14-182615.png

Rolex Daytona – I wanted a Daytona like everyone else in the world and was doing a futile wait for one retail, I was on holidays in the Canaries and this cropped up on adverts with photos so bad Unkle could have taken them, the scariest purchase of my life, transferring that much money to some unknown fellow in the midlands. Turned out a great purchase from a great bloke and we have since become good friends, it has been back to Rolex for service and its good as new.
    It’s a solid white gold watch, and while it can look in photos like stainless, its got a slight gold sheen to the metal that side by side with stainless is quite different. Yellow Gold bracelet watch is a strong statement that I don’t feel is really me, maybe in time. The white gold is the humble brag. The dial is silver sunburst with red accents and is quite unusual. I like the light dial as the Daytona wears small enough watch and the light dial and metal bezel opens the face out more. Although the Arabic’s are a little cluttered. The weight is something else at 200 grams, and along with the Daytona case shape it is a lovely comfortable watch to wear. Anyone that tried it on, immediately sees the quality, but at a glance its just another Daytona. The eagle eyed will spot the dial which is a PM only dial, and the little triangles on the bezel indices that only come on PM. I bought this when gold Daytona’s were less expensive than stainless ones (another sign of the dysfunction of the Rolex market) but its flipped back now, but it still sells for well under retail price, which is rare in Daytona land however retail on this watch is a preposterous €38k. This is a keeper never to leave unless I consolidate everything into one watch, I could never replace it for what it owes me in a million years.

The downside is that it is hard to read the time on any Daytona, busy dial. Another one that is easy to pick as it’s a fast two hand set without date. Great water resistance, and a hardy watch. This watch really feels good to wear.
    Screenshot-2020-09-14-182650.png

Audemars Piguet Royal Oak Chrono – Latest watch and unbelievably happy with this one. Had my eyes on one for a long time. It’s a fairly predictable move from Rolex to AP, but AP does not have the resale value of Rolex so you have to tread carefully, an almost impossible watch to try on in Ireland, but tried a few in “Watches of Switzerland” in London last year (remember international travel…good times). The offshore is an acquired taste, and despite what Thin wrists Mosso would say the 37mm Royal Oak is far too small for a man of my “huskiness”. I was careful to try choose one that is popular, in case I needed to bail.

My contact in Watchfinder eventually came up with a trade that made some “man maths” sense. Aggressive looking watch and the shape is unmistakable. Bought the big boy, 41mm with blue “boutique only” waffle dial. Went for the Chrono because I prefer that it is a complex AP and strangely chronographs are cheaper than the 3 hander/date. In the 41mm the 3 handers dial is a bit empty looking. The star of the show is the bracelet and case. The design and finishing are exceptional, the way the light bounces off the brushed and polished facets is mesmerising. Wherever you look there is a detail and a play of the light you never noticed before. Large lug to lug, and 41mm but it is beautifully thin, and wears big but not obnoxious. I have a larger than average wrist anyway.
    I always wanted one because the shape is similar to the head of a common type of dental implant with which I have spent my adult life using ( and thanks to which I have the opportunity to own these watches). The watch is honestly stunning and anyone that knows what this is, is most certainly a watch person. It’s a very angular and masculine and edgy watch, and when it comes to overpriced stainless watches this is the original, Gerald Genta blah blah blah. Imposing, interesting and actually rare to see. Have it 4 weeks now, and already have had more unsolicited interest in it than all my other watches put together. The finish is flawless, and the level of detail is like going from SD on a Rolex television to HD holy trinity watch. Of course, like busses, as soon as I get one another one pop up on the forum (Time where are the photos dude?), such is life.

The Others:
    My wife has a 31mm Two Tone datejust and a Cartier Tank. I have a Ani-Digi Tag Heuer that was my wedding watch, a Raymond Weil that was a 16th birthday present from my parents. Space for my Solas whenever that comes and my dads Omega Seamaster Quartz. I don’t count these as part of the collection honestly and once I stopped thinking of them there, I got a lot more focus.

Screenshot-2020-09-14-182715.png

Screenshot-2020-09-14-182723.png

What’s next?
    Hopefully watch collecting maturity, but that is unlikely. Working on a 3-piece collection plus an everyday steel, I feel that is the perfect size for me, everything gets a go, no beaters, no sh1tters, no bullsh1t. Maybe 3 Chrono’s, that has some continuity and focus. Omega Dark side/Grey side of the moon interests me. But really the JLC/Daytona and AP make an exceptionally fine and ever so slightly unconventional 3-piece collection. All bases covered and all vastly different. Maybe trade the JLC to a rose or yellow gold dress watch (JLC polaris chrono rose gold? VC traditionalle? Simple Calatrava?) Maybe flog them all and get a Patek 5712 (love that watch but barely worth retail yet alone the looney money they go for). I do not know? I am nudging phase 8 (having skipped the vintage thing, that’s not for me).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,383 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

Fitz II wrote: »
    Rolex Daytona – I wanted a Daytona like everyone else in the world and was doing a futile wait for one retail, I was on holidays in the Canaries and this cropped up on adverts with photos so bad Unkle could have taken them, the scariest purchase of my life, transferring that much money to some unknown fellow in the midlands. Turned out a great purchase from a great bloke and we have since become good friends, it has been back to Rolex for service and its good as new.
    It’s a solid white gold watch, and while it can look in photos like stainless, its got a slight gold sheen to the metal that side by side with stainless is quite different. Yellow Gold bracelet watch is a strong statement that I don’t feel is really me, maybe in time. The white gold is the humble brag. The dial is silver sunburst with red accents and is quite unusual. I like the light dial as the Daytona wears small enough watch and the light dial and metal bezel opens the face out more. Although the Arabic’s are a little cluttered. The weight is something else at 200 grams, and along with the Daytona case shape it is a lovely comfortable watch to wear. Anyone that tried it on, immediately sees the quality, but at a glance its just another Daytona. The eagle eyed will spot the dial which is a PM only dial, and the little triangles on the bezel indices that only come on PM. I bought this when gold Daytona’s were less expensive than stainless ones (another sign of the dysfunction of the Rolex market) but its flipped back now, but it still sells for well under retail price, which is rare in Daytona land however retail on this watch is a preposterous €38k. This is a keeper never to leave unless I consolidate everything into one watch, I could never replace it for what it owes me in a million years.

The downside is that it is hard to read the time on any Daytona, busy dial. Another one that is easy to pick as it’s a fast two hand set without date. Great water resistance, and a hardy watch. This watch really feels good to wear.

Audemars Piguet Royal Oak Chrono – Latest watch and unbelievably happy with this one. Had my eyes on one for a long time. It’s a fairly predictable move from Rolex to AP, but AP does not have the resale value of Rolex so you have to tread carefully, an almost impossible watch to try on in Ireland, but tried a few in “Watches of Switzerland” in London last year (remember international travel…good times). The offshore is an acquired taste, and despite what Thin wrists Mosso would say the 37mm Royal Oak is far too small for a man of my “huskiness”. I was careful to try choose one that is popular, in case I needed to bail.

My contact in Watchfinder eventually came up with a trade that made some “man maths” sense. Aggressive looking watch and the shape is unmistakable. Bought the big boy, 41mm with blue “boutique only” waffle dial. Went for the Chrono because I prefer that it is a complex AP and strangely chronographs are cheaper than the 3 hander/date. In the 41mm the 3 handers dial is a bit empty looking. The star of the show is the bracelet and case. The design and finishing are exceptional, the way the light bounces off the brushed and polished facets is mesmerising. Wherever you look there is a detail and a play of the light you never noticed before. Large lug to lug, and 41mm but it is beautifully thin, and wears big but not obnoxious. I have a larger than average wrist anyway.
    I always wanted one because the shape is similar to the head of a common type of dental implant with which I have spent my adult life using ( and thanks to which I have the opportunity to own these watches). The watch is honestly stunning and anyone that knows what this is, is most certainly a watch person. It’s a very angular and masculine and edgy watch, and when it comes to overpriced stainless watches this is the original, Gerald Genta blah blah blah. Imposing, interesting and actually rare to see. Have it 4 weeks now, and already have had more unsolicited interest in it than all my other watches put together. The finish is flawless, and the level of detail is like going from SD on a Rolex television to HD holy trinity watch. Of course, like busses, as soon as I get one another one pop up on the forum (Time where are the photos dude?), such is life.

The Others:
    My wife has a 31mm Two Tone datejust and a Cartier Tank. I have a Ani-Digi Tag Heuer that was my wedding watch, a Raymond Weil that was a 16th birthday present from my parents. Space for my Solas whenever that comes and my dads Omega Seamaster Quartz. I don’t count these as part of the collection honestly and once I stopped thinking of them there, I got a lot more focus.

What’s next?
    Hopefully watch collecting maturity, but that is unlikely. Working on a 3-piece collection plus an everyday steel, I feel that is the perfect size for me, everything gets a go, no beaters, no sh1tters, no bullsh1t. Maybe 3 Chrono’s, that has some continuity and focus. Omega Dark side/Grey side of the moon interests me. But really the JLC/Daytona and AP make an exceptionally fine and ever so slightly unconventional 3-piece collection. All bases covered and all vastly different. Maybe trade the JLC to a rose or yellow gold dress watch (JLC polaris chrono rose gold? VC traditionalle? Simple Calatrava?) Maybe flog them all and get a Patek 5712 (love that watch but barely worth retail yet alone the looney money they go for). I do not know? I am nudging phase 8 (having skipped the vintage thing, that’s not for me).

Very nice, I don’t have a lot these days

Steinhart Grand Prix Limited edition
    Bulova Moon
    Seiko Prospex Japan Limited SZSC004 Green Sumo
    Timex Space Snoopy and Ingersoll Mickey Mouse.

I was contemplating moving them all on to get a IWC Spitfire Chrono.

Watchfinder have a couple at a good price.

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

Very nice, I don’t have a lot these days

Steinhart Grand Prix Limited edition
    Bulova Moon
    Seiko Prospex Japan Limited SZSC004 Green Sumo
    Timex Space Snoopy and Ingersoll Mickey Mouse.

I was contemplating moving them all on to get a IWC Spitfire Chrono.

Watchfinder have a couple at a good price.

My 2c....I think that consolidation you suggest would be excellent. IWC watches are class.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,445 ✭✭✭micks_address

At the moment I'm at

Omega aqua terra seamaster 38mm skyfall
    Omega 300m goldeneye quartz
    Omega speed master
    Stowa marine original 41mm unitas movement
    King seiko lord marvel 1977 high beat
    Casio all metal gshock
    Seiko skx007 mod project
    Seiko explorer 36mm mod

Speed master on the wrist every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,758 ✭✭✭✭unkel

The 40-hour reserve is a little short on a watch like this TBH but its fun to set with all its little pushers, although I tend not to choose it if I am in a hurry.

Would you not get a watch winder?

Great posts by the way!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,737 ✭✭✭893bet

Hi All, Glad to be back after my enforced time off. I have been watching the forum and was sorry I could not participate, of all the forums on boards, this is the only one I missed. I spent a lot of time thinking about my watch collection over the last 3 months and decided to make a few changes both in collection mentality and collection content.

I am a self-confessed Rolex fanboy, and for robustness, recognisably, classic design, and resale value they cannot be beaten. However, it has become a bit of a “chase the popular model” game, and really, I want out of the game to stop chasing the cliche and enjoy the ones I have. Paying way over retail is not for me either, if I am paying 20k I want a watch the manufacturer values at 20k, not a 9k watch that the fake scarcity has distorted the grey market values to 20k but that you find is worth far from it when you go to actually sell.

I am getting bored of Rolex, and chasing and waiting for slight variants of the same old watch has become a bit tedious for me, the new releases have really confirmed this for me. Rolex don’t really innovate, they iterate. And while that’s fine and dandy, its easy tire of it once you have had a few. Been there done that, had loads and over it now.

I realise a lot on here would class my frequent watch trading as flipping and wonder why I do not stick to a lot of watches. Like a sailboat into the wind, I need to tack from side to side to get to the intended destination. It is a form of fun saving so long as I do not make stupid decisions. It also allows me to better form opinions on my collection and changing tastes. I think I am not a huge big fan of dive watches; I have had a lot but I think apart from maybe a discount diver, I don’t want a big money diver.

Recently I have ditched a lot of watches, trading them up and culling ones I never wear. If I seem to have dismissed a watch that you like, there is absolutely no offence intended. There are almost as many watches as there are collectors, and everyone has their own tastes. But remember I never bought a watch I did not like, because you never know when you will get stuck. At the same time, I actively try not to buy watches that nobody likes.,. This notion on watch forums of “wear what you like” is fine if you are a) Really rich or b) buying cheap watches. If you are neither you need to take a bit of care not to impulse buy things. I got stung recently with a watch I purchased while drinking too much beer and lost more money on a 500 euro purchase than I did selling a 9k datejust.

What I have come to realise is that for me interesting watches are often not popular and often popular watches are not interesting. However, I am not into being a “wacky crazy and unique guy”, I would rather a few generally desirable and quality, iconic pieces than a ton of average watches that get no wrist time, or worse soak up wrist time I could be spending with my heavy hitters. Iconic watches is a naff term, but these designs that have stood the test of time are usually really nice, and usually have a broad resale market. A friend aptly described filler watches in your collection as “blockers”, so I ruthlessly culled them all. I just look at them and feel guilt for never wearing them no matter how affordable, or wonder when I am wearing them why I am not wearing one of my better ones (often thought I need a “my other watch is a Rolex tee shirt”). Hell, you only have so many days left of watch wear in your life, why am I bothering not wearing my best watches?

I sold the Hulk and no date sub. Both were fantastic watches. I had dismissed the hulk before but I was wrong, it’s a stunner and the green colour is fantastic…its just not 13-15k fantastic (or 29k fantastic if the internet is to be believed, which it is not) by any stretch of the imagination, so I got out while the going was good and riding the wave of “soon to be discontinued” hype. Great watch, I would have one again at retail. No date sub was good too, however my wife stole it on me, and I never got to wear it, so I got that gone before she got too used to it.

You have been busy!! I literally could have wrote the above post except replace Rolex with omega for me!

I have done alot of agonising over my collection and went in one direction before realizing what I actually wanted it. In the last 18 months I have gotten rid of the below at a minimum, may have forgotten one.

-Rolex BLNR
    -Omega Speedmaster
    -Omega AT (stayed on forum so may get a second crack at that one)
    -Omega Planet Ocean (being collected tomorrow, disappointed it didnt stay on forum)
    -Nomos Ahoi (also on forum)
    -Stowa Marine (also on forum)
    -Tag Heur Monaco

No interest in the Rolex game either. I dont want a 5K watch that costs 20K. I want a 40K watch second hand for 20K! The level of finishing goes up steeply!

Over the last 12 months my taste has gone very niche that is almost exclusively distracted by size (ahem). Sub 39mm and sub 9mm is where I am and I have ruthlessly culled watches that were favorites that didn't fit in to this bracket. Those size numbers have also pushed me away from diver watches and really towards dress watches. Not to say I wont go back to buying to try and flip, at this stage the list of watch brands I want to buy from is small enough, and then smaller again when I look at my requirements.

In terms of buying I have been resisting various watches that were close to what I wanted which I finally committed to this morning and put a deposit on.

Not sure what my point is......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,737 ✭✭✭893bet

Screenshot-2020-09-14-182550.png

It is an extremely refined 4 piece collection. Real heavy hitter watches. I am not into chrono's but that AP keeps looking at me!

Still think that the Milgauss dont fit but it is a fun Rolex not doubt.........Stick a VC overseas in there though............

Advertisement