Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pet sitter - stray cat

• 02-08-2020 8:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Right, I know I'm being a complete and utter eejit about this :o but....

If you were feeding a stray cat and you were going away for a few days, would it be weird to get a cat sitter to come in and feed it. And then to compound the weirdness ask the cat sitter to come into the garden only (not go through the house).

Or would the cat simply fend for itself.

Thanks,

S.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭Happy4all

Don't see any harm in asking a friend or neighbour to top up a food bowl in the garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭shar01

I don't like imposing on my neighbour (I live in a quiet area) but that would be plan B.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Meeoow

Are there any local rescues or TNRs? They might help out for a few days.

That's a good one, Meeoow. Will definitely check that out.

There were actually two strays. One un-neutered male was far more sociable and I was able to get him to the vet for neutering.

The other one is still very nervous and after two months will still run when I approach.

I don't think it's weird if you're worried about the cat. I'm sure cat sitters have a great love for cats and wouldn't mind. As an animal lover if a friend or neighbour or stranger even asked me to do that I'd be happy to.

• Advertisement

It's just me BuileBeag - an awful tendency to overthink things :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

Its not a stray cat, its YOUR cat :)
    You feed the cat, it comes to your house for food. It depends on you now

If you're going away, I would absolutely get someone to come and put down food
    in the usual place.
    I also think its absolutely fine to ask someone to come thru to the garden (not the house) to feed your cat.

Ive had a neighbour come to do it for me and my ex-stray-ex-feral cats. I paid the teenager to come and do it for a week at a time - she only came into the garden, not into the house - the cats have now all moved into the house :rolleyes: so if I ever get to go on holiday again, a new plan will be hatched.

aonb wrote: »
    Its not a stray cat, its YOUR cat :)
    You feed the cat, it comes to your house for food. It depends on you now

If you're going away, I would absolutely get someone to come and put down food
    in the usual place.
    I also think its absolutely fine to ask someone to come thru to the garden (not the house) to feed your cat.

Ive had a neighbour come to do it for me and my ex-stray-ex-feral cats. I paid the teenager to come and do it for a week at a time - she only came into the garden, not into the house - the cats have now all moved into the house :rolleyes: so if I ever get to go on holiday again, a new plan will be hatched.

I think you've read my mind :-) After a second visit to the vet today (and we haven't even started on the vaccinations) I think it's safe to say I have a cat. He's asleep in the utility room as I type.

Turns out the family of a work colleague run a cattery about 20 min drive away.

Thanks for the reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

I leave two cases of cat food outside the house, in cover, so that should I get taken to hospital urgently I can call someone to feed my 6 cats.

It worked grand when I got airlifted to hospital a few weeks ago. I asked the neighbour who drove me to the heli- pad..

Hope you're on the mend Graces7!

Well things have progressed...

Male cat neutered and chipped and loving life indoors.

The other cat is heavily pregnant and currently in my downstairs loo while we wait for the arrival of kittens. I've been in touch with a cat rescue and I'll be holding onto Mammy and kittens for about 2 months. Mammy will be neutered and released and kittens rehomed.

What a week it's been....

• Advertisement

Thank you and yes all bettering,

My neighbour told me that my cats had been all over the island looking for me and that they were all driving slowly... so it is not just food they seek!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

shar01 wrote: »
    .... I think it's safe to say I have a cat. He's asleep in the utility room as I type.

Lol. That made me laugh..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭hayoc

Its not weird at all - I used a pet sitter for a stray cat I was feeding before.

Of course he became MY cat once he was able to be handled and brought for neutering etc..

But pet sitter left him food and water while he was still at the nervous stage.

hayoc wrote: »
    Its not weird at all - I used a pet sitter for a stray cat I was feeding before.

Of course he became MY cat once he was able to be handled and brought for neutering etc..

But pet sitter left him food and water while he was still at the nervous stage.

This little one is still very nervous. I'm hoping motherhood will relax her a bit.

This little one is still very nervous. I'm hoping motherhood will relax her a bit.

It will. Once those hormones kick in. She will be so "soppy"! I took in from a rescue a cat who had had kittens which had just left. She was so soft and affectionate. A few days later she was biting my ankles when the hormones wore off. She and you will enjoy the next while.

Graces7 wrote: »
    It will. Once those hormones kick in. She will be so "soppy"! I took in from a rescue a cat who had had kittens which had just left. She was so soft and affectionate. A few days later she was biting my ankles when the hormones wore off. She and you will enjoy the next while.

I hope so. I won't miss the hissing and growling.

I'm a little bit apprehensive but then I say to myself "cats have kittens all the time in the wild, just chill".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

Graces7 wrote: »
    I leave two cases of cat food outside the house, in cover, so that should I get taken to hospital urgently I can call someone to feed my 6 cats.

It worked grand when I got airlifted to hospital a few weeks ago. I asked the neighbour who drove me to the heli- pad..

airlifted to hospital sounds very exciting and dramatic - like a tv program - glad you are back amongst us again Graces7, and hope you are recovered and wish you continued health. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭hayoc

The guy I was feeding really WANTED love but he was terrified. He would come up and wail really loudly while getting petted a bit like he was saying "oh I wanna love you but Im SCARED!!!".

He came round pretty quickly though. Very dominant little guy, used to want to be on the highest point possible of you. He'd jump on your lap and make his way straight up to the top of your head.

hayoc wrote: »
    The guy I was feeding really WANTED love but he was terrified. He would come up and wail really loudly while getting petted a bit like he was saying "oh I wanna love you but Im SCARED!!!".

He came round pretty quickly though. Very dominant little guy, used to want to be on the highest point possible of you. He'd jump on your lap and make his way straight up to the top of your head.

Awwww. Same with this little lady. Coming up to the back door but turning tail if I come too close.

aonb wrote: »
    airlifted to hospital sounds very exciting and dramatic - like a tv program - glad you are back amongst us again Graces7, and hope you are recovered and wish you continued health. :)

Never been in a helicopter before,, the air ambulance folk deserve a row of medals .. I wrote a blog entry on that day; see my signature file. "Red birds and the covid world"

It is a life saving service for the islands.

Just wondering where all my cats are. One is with me but that leaves five. They may well stay out there in their safe places.

Stay safe

• Advertisement
Advertisement