Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What stout would you recommend me to try out?

• 31-07-2020 12:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭

I love Guinness but I was thinking of broadening my horizons a little.

I'm considering giving Murphys or Beamish a go but are there any other stouts that you would recommend me to check out?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭calnand

Rothko wrote: »
    I love Guinness but I was thinking of broadening my horizons a little.

I'm considering giving Murphys or Beamish a go but are there any other stouts that you would recommend me to check out?

I much prefer Murphy's to all the others. But for a craft stout Leann Folláin is top notch.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Leann Folláin: 4 for €10 in Tesco. One of the best there is.

Lineman Astral Weeks, Porterhouse XXXX, Wicklow Wolf Apex: all in cans in any good beer off licence and all very good, IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

My top three would be:

Guinness West Indies Porter (Just a note this is 6%)

Kinnegar Yannaroddy

Trouble Brewing dark Arts

I know they are not classed as stouts but porters but worth a try for something different.

Also as the other poster's mentioned Leann Folláin is well worth a try as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,032 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Guinness Extra stout

Guinness Foreign Extra stout

O'Hara Leann Follain

• Registered Users Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

I really love Left Hand Brewing's Nitro Milk Stout. You should be able to get your hands on it from a good off license, or online from the likes of Martin's/Bradley's/Craft Central.ie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭Beanstalk

Kinnegar Yannaroddy, Kinnegar Coco Joe (if you like coffee too) and Crafty Stout (Lidl) would be a good shout.

If you're going for a pint, try Beamish, it has a wider flavour profile than guiness and has a bigger mouthfeel, a bit sweeter and a little more roasted caramel flavours, but try it in a pub where you see a lot of people drinking stout rather than in a hotel bar or whatever. I've found recently Murphys has become more similar to Guinness in flavour profile and mouthfeel I've found (could get shot for saying this in some parts of the country), and Beamish in a can doesn't sit as well as on draft.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Some great stouts mentioned in here, I'd advise to try as many as you can get your hands on, you never know which one might be your favourite. If you are based in Dublin you can go to Porterhouse and get a tasting tray to sample a few at the same time without committing to a full pint.

If we're talking macro stouts, Beamish is my preference and the added bonus is that it's nearly always the cheapest pint available too.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Late shout for the McGargles Export Stout -- fared very well against Leann Folláin in a blind tasting I did and is readily available in supermarkets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Dot do some nice stouts but they are usually big boys

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭rje66

It you want to live on the edge and can source any, some of the Russian Imperial Stouts (RIS) 8-11%abv are great as sippers...... not for a night on the town though.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭blueshed

Another thing is don't drink them cold, I find the stouts and porters are better if chilled and not cold.

Take out if the fridge 30-45 minutes before drinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

Pen Rua wrote: »
    I really love Left Hand Brewing's Nitro Milk Stout. You should be able to get your hands on it from a good off license, or online from the likes of Martin's/Bradley's/Craft Central.ie

Seconded. Guinness also do a nice milk stout (bottle with a blue label) but the Left Hand Brewing is easier to find, funnily enough. There are a lot of big boy stouts that I just don’t enjoy personally, but milk stout is a variety I’ve quite taken to.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Porterhouse Wrasslers is the best Irish stout

Advertisement