Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Washer and Dryer Advice

• 21-07-2020 9:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭

So, long story short, I find myself in the market for a washing machine and tumble dryer, and having never had to make such purchases before, I'm turning to boards.ie for advice.

Current thinking is something along the lines of https://powercity.ie/product/456FWEU for the washer, and https://powercity.ie/product/WTH840 for the dryer, but open to advice in other directions if people have better ideas, or can see any reasons not to go for the two models linked. Ideally looking for 8kg/9kg washer load, 1400 spin, and happy to take a slightly lower capacity dryer, as it's unlikely I'd be putting 100% of a max load from the washer into the dryer. Budget is in or around what the linked ones come to, but could be increased a bit if there were an overriding reason to do so.

Potentially relevant information:
    • Appliances will be side by side in a utility room under a counter
    • The utility room has a pre-existing vent for a vented dryer, but seems like these are (on average) less efficient than standard condenser, and significantly less so than heat pump, so is there any reason not to consider heat pump? If not using a vented dryer plan would be to stuff the vent, and/or tape some plastic over it to minimise draught.
    • Utility room has no radiator, but the boiler is contained in it, and is reasonably small - would this provide enough ambient heat to run a heat pump dryer?
    • Linked dryer is pretty entry level as heat pump goes, but seems to review ok - is there a risk of this being an "early generation" appliance and worth increasing budget?
    • Having said all the above, I've lived without a dryer for ~8 years now, so don't envision running it a huge amount, and I'm not sure what the ROI or break-even point is on heat pump efficiency and any premium for the appliance?

I'm in Dublin 15 and currently considering Power City and Currys in the main for purchasing from due to proximity and discount for spend over a threshold, but open to other suggestions for a supplier if people have them in the locality.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Carrie6OD

cython wrote: »
    So, long story short, I find myself in the market for a washing machine and tumble dryer, and having never had to make such purchases before, I'm turning to boards.ie for advice.

Current thinking is something along the lines of https://powercity.ie/product/456FWEU for the washer, and https://powercity.ie/product/WTH840 for the dryer, but open to advice in other directions if people have better ideas, or can see any reasons not to go for the two models linked. Ideally looking for 8kg/9kg washer load, 1400 spin, and happy to take a slightly lower capacity dryer, as it's unlikely I'd be putting 100% of a max load from the washer into the dryer. Budget is in or around what the linked ones come to, but could be increased a bit if there were an overriding reason to do so.

Potentially relevant information:
    • Appliances will be side by side in a utility room under a counter
    • The utility room has a pre-existing vent for a vented dryer, but seems like these are (on average) less efficient than standard condenser, and significantly less so than heat pump, so is there any reason not to consider heat pump? If not using a vented dryer plan would be to stuff the vent, and/or tape some plastic over it to minimise draught.
    • Utility room has no radiator, but the boiler is contained in it, and is reasonably small - would this provide enough ambient heat to run a heat pump dryer?
    • Linked dryer is pretty entry level as heat pump goes, but seems to review ok - is there a risk of this being an "early generation" appliance and worth increasing budget?
    • Having said all the above, I've lived without a dryer for ~8 years now, so don't envision running it a huge amount, and I'm not sure what the ROI or break-even point is on heat pump efficiency and any premium for the appliance?

I'm in Dublin 15 and currently considering Power City and Currys in the main for purchasing from due to proximity and discount for spend over a threshold, but open to other suggestions for a supplier if people have them in the locality.

Thanks in advance!

No advice on those ones but don’t buy the whirlpool 7th sense dryer. Total waste of money.

Advertisement