Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virgin Media Broadband - Price Increase - Break Contract

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭shardylan

Aquos76 wrote: »
    VM just offered me 6 months half price on BB, so 2 months half price @€;59 rate and 4 months on new price of €62.50 then the remaining 6 months at full price of €62.50. In the past few years I’ve had 2 9 months half price and 2 6 months half price offers, he 100% guaranteed me that I won’t get another 9 months deal, especially as I’ve only got phone and BB.

My predicament now is Siro is currently being installed in my area but I’m not sure how long it will be before it’s live, also, we are heavy users with a few months over the 1000gb usage. Apparently eir and Vodafone impose restrictions and possible changes when you exceed their limits.

For the minute I’ve asked him to leave a note on my account with the 6 month offer while I consider my options.

I only have bb /phone and had same issue . I told them when I called first time if they wouldn’t give me 9mths I would cancel which I did . A week later I got a call offering me 6 which I declined she said hang on and within 1 min she came back with 9mths . Stand your ground even until day of cancellation you’ll get 9mths
    I pay €29 for 9mths then €58 for last 3

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Mrcaramelchoc

No, the deal they offered me is better,

€29.50 x 2 = €59
    €31.25 x 4 = €125
    €62.50 x 6 = €375

Total €559

Your offer,

€47 x 9 = €423
    €62.50 x 3 =€ 187.50

Total €610.50

Yea sorry my maths were out.the offer i got from vodafone comes to 480 for the year so im going with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,191 ✭✭✭✭ted1

okidoki987 wrote: »
    Website is currently down while they prepare for "exciting things are on the way".
    not sure if it's broadband only but this was in the papers,
    "Tomorrow, the company is expected to launch a revamped TV service
    based on a new set-top box".

Response to GoMo and eir 📺

• Registered Users Posts: 9,356 ✭✭✭irishgeo

VM just offered me 6 months half price on BB, so 2 months half price @€;59 rate and 4 months on new price of €62.50 then the remaining 6 months at full price of €62.50. In the past few years I’ve had 2 9 months half price and 2 6 months half price offers, he 100% guaranteed me that I won’t get another 9 months deal, especially as I’ve only got phone and BB.

My predicament now is Siro is currently being installed in my area but I’m not sure how long it will be before it’s live, also, we are heavy users with a few months over the 1000gb usage. Apparently eir and Vodafone impose restrictions and possible changes when you exceed their limits.

For the minute I’ve asked him to leave a note on my account with the 6 month offer while I consider my options.

siro takes ages to go live after install. I still cant get it and its installed months ago. pretty happy with virgin for the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Smiles35

Wait a while, Eir TV with Apple 4K TV box is on the way, maybe that is better for you.

How are Eir getting deals with Apple? Horrible company clawing away respect and money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Brego888

Yea sorry my maths were out.the offer i got from vodafone comes to 480 for the year so im going with that.

How is Vodafones broadband piped in? Phoneline or cable?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭Roberto_gas

vm offered me 47 a month for 9 months and the 62.50 a month after that.12 month contract.i said no and cancelled im going to vodafone.

Same here

• Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭Roberto_gas

Brego888 wrote:

Phone line

• Registered Users Posts: 5,498 ✭✭✭baldbear

No, the deal they offered me is better,

€29.50 x 2 = €59
    €31.25 x 4 = €125
    €62.50 x 6 = €375

Total €559

Your offer,

€47 x 9 = €423
    €62.50 x 3 =€ 187.50

Total €610.50

How many calls did that take?
    In April I could only manage €15 off for 6 months. Broadband only. Rang 3 to times. Got the usual spiel. You got the half price offer before bla bla.

• Administrators Posts: 53,137 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Brego888 wrote: »

It depends which version of Vodafone broadband you end up with. It can either be phone line, or the new Siro installation.

Anything that comes in via a phone line will provide worse service than Virgin for certain.

I'm on Virgin's 30 day contract, no news here of any price increase yet...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

shardylan wrote: »
    I only have bb /phone and had same issue . I told them when I called first time if they wouldn’t give me 9mths I would cancel which I did . A week later I got a call offering me 6 which I declined she said hang on and within 1 min she came back with 9mths . Stand your ground even until day of cancellation you’ll get 9mths
    I pay €29 for 9mths then €58 for last 3

I'm paying a similar price. What is your broadband speed?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Must call and cancel or get a deal all right, cheers.

Vodafone price looks very good now compared to Virgin. Whats peoples experience with Vodafone?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭tom1ie

If Siro is not available in your area, you are basically stuck with virgin media with regards to speed and reliability, would I be correct in saying this?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,828 ✭✭✭jeffk

tom1ie wrote: »
    If Siro is not available in your area, you are basically stuck with virgin media with regards to speed and reliability, would I be correct in saying this?

Yes

I have a choice of 500 from Virgin or 100 or much less in real world from rest :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭tom1ie

jeffk wrote: »
    Yes

I have a choice of 500 from Virgin or 100 or much less in real world from rest :mad:

Right, so in other words there is no bargaining leverage to use at the moment.
    Although I’ll admit I’m on a half price package at the moment with virgin but I only got that after about 6 phone calls and threatening that I was willing to accept a lower speed for a lower price, which I’m not really willing to accept.
    I’m not sure if this tactic is going to work again.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,828 ✭✭✭jeffk

Right, so in other words there is no bargaining leverage to use at the moment.
    Although I’ll admit I’m on a half price package at the moment with virgin but I only got that after about 6 phone calls and threatening that I was willing to accept a lower speed for a lower price, which I’m not really willing to accept.
    I’m not sure if this tactic is going to work again.

No there isnt, but the last time I called they almost cut me off a threw an offer at me

Worse case you get 3 months off, better than nothing as the saying goes

• Administrators Posts: 53,137 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

The best providers are Virgin, Siro and probably Eir FTTH.

Anything that comes through a phone line will be a lot worse than Virgin. That includes most of the packages at Vodafone, Sky, Eir etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭captainshamroc

Smiles35 wrote: »
    How are Eir getting deals with Apple? Horrible company clawing away respect and money.

Which one?
    :mad:

I am getting slow speeds with Virgin fairly regularly. Anyone got them to reduce price based on that?
    I don't have fibre option unfortunately so cancelling is an empty threat.

I'm paying a similar price. What is your broadband speed?

I’m on limitless 240mb

• Advertisement

shardylan wrote: »
    I’m on limitless 240mb

I said I would cancel the last time . And they never rang me back :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Mrcaramelchoc

If i go with vodafone which i intend to do in 12 months if i decide to go back to virgin.am i Considered a new customer?ie will i be able to get new customer offers?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,612 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

Someone I know worked for VM call centre (not for long as she couldn't put up with all the complaining!) and she said they read the comments on this site all the time.
    So when people say they will cancel and then cancel the cancellation, VM still have the same number of customers so there's no need for them to increase the offers.
    It's only when people do actually leave in numbers, will they start to improve their retain offers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

Called up to see would they increase my speed for free. It was a no go. Currently on 240mb at 29.50 for 9 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭breeno

Slightly off-topic but I ordered Eir earlier this year and told them I used to have a phone line and it was torn out during a renovation. They said no problem, we'll install a new one. KN engineer came out and couldn't locate the original cable so said he couldn't do anything and Eir would have to send a team out to dig up the road etc to feed a new line in but when I rang Eir they said they wouldn't so I had to cancel the order.

How do I go about getting a new line into an existing house? I spoke to Eir sales and got a young guy who just kept saying 'yea no bother, we'll install the new line wtihin 3 days' but he wasn't listening to or appreciating the actual details - would have thought opening the road etc wouldn't be turned aroudnd that quickly.

Appreciate any help as I hate being tied to Virgin as my only option and would love to break my contract and move to Eir for Apple TV. Thanks guys,sorry for the essay :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,460 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Called up to see would they increase my speed for free. It was a no go. Currently on 240mb at 29.50 for 9 months.

That's a great price you're on.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,953 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Hey Folks,

I have multiple camera's around the house with the likes of a single Nest camera taking around 300 Gbps per month so have stuck with Virgin seeing as there's no actual cap on my plan. Add in Netflix, web players and so on and I'd be well over most caps. I can get SIRO in my area but looking at the likes of Digiweb it's capped, Vodafone doesn't seem to have the best rep, no do Eir. Is there anything better or is it a case of just sticking with VM, perhaps trying to haggle a deal out of them on the basis that I'd be leaving.

Actually I just checked my consumption over the last few months and it's well under the 1TB cap. What's Digiweb and their Fritz modem like does anyone know?

baldbear wrote: »
    I said I would cancel the last time . And they never rang me back :(

If they don’t I’d ring them the day before and see what they offer .

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭iwantthat

I rang them for cancellation and so she gave me some discount which would make my yearly contract at 915 euros. I told her i can sign up with vodafone and get all the same for only 510 euro per year. She came back and offerred a new deal totallying 512 euro per year. I signed up for another year again... happy days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Irish Kev

deep1 wrote: »
    Doesn’t sky have 200€ once off fee?

I was not aware of this. Will check it out

Advertisement