Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Now ye're talking - to a man living in his van

15678911»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,186 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Honestly cannot see the economics in this. If remote working is a possibility for the OP, wouldn't it be as cheap to rent in the countryside now and work from home?

Living somewhere rural, but with decent public transport (I'm thinking somewhere rural with a train station, and/or intercity bus like edgeworthstown) and the occasional commute for the days when a presence is required is surely a better alternative than living on the side of the road? The OP that said that the money he had put into the van is considered a sunk cost, so referring to it as an asset that value can be recovered from is not correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭Evd-Burner

Honestly cannot see the economics in this. If remote working is a possibility for the OP, wouldn't it be as cheap to rent in the countryside now and work from home?

Living somewhere rural, but with decent public transport (I'm thinking somewhere rural with a train station, and/or intercity bus like edgeworthstown) and the occasional commute for the days when a presence is required is surely a better alternative than living on the side of the road? The OP that said that the money he had put into the van is considered a sunk cost, so referring to it as an asset that value can be recovered from is not correct.

If I remember correctly he said that it was possible to work from home in his profession as a contractor etc but not in his current role and that he wouldn't earn as much and that originally he needed to pay off debt.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,573 ✭✭✭✭listermint

The reluctance to tell the van is a bit silly tbh. I know it's your right. But there are hundreds of thousands of vans out there. Over 30,000 sold last year for example.

People don't need to know the colour or year. You could just day it's X model and has X engine if they are interested in reliability information.

No one's coming to find you... Or could ..

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

listermint wrote: »
    The reluctance to tell the van is a bit silly tbh. I know it's your right. But there are hundreds of thousands of vans out there. Over 30,000 sold last year for example.

People don't need to know the colour or year. You could just day it's X model and has X engine if they are interested in reliability information.

No one's coming to find you... Or could ..

It's either a Ford transit lwb high roof or mercedes sprinter.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,573 ✭✭✭✭listermint

It's either a Ford transit lwb high roof or mercedes sprinter.

Transit's not that reliable neither is sprinter tbh.

There's a reason Ducatos are running campers all over Europe.

• Advertisement
  • Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

It's not going to add to the AMA to know the make and model of van really, it's about the experience of living in the van.

Anyone doing an AMA has a right to protect their identity in whatever way they see fit, if OP wants to keep the van details to himself that is his prerogative. As OP hasn't been seen for a while now I am going to close the thread again unless or until he comes back. Once again, thanks to all participants :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement