Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

11-01-2019, 13:19   #1
josip

Unaccompanied children on Bus Eireann

I've been trying to work out BE's unaccompanied minor policy.
http://www.buseireann.ie/inner.php?id=376

Quote:

Unaccompanied Children
Children under 12 years of age will NOT be carried, except when they are accompanied by a responsible person aged 16 years or over, on Bus Eireann or Expressway services where the following conditions apply:
  • If the journey intended is greater than 30km
AND
  • If the journey intended is after 7pm.
From my reading of it, as long as the journey finishes before 7pm, a child of any age can go wherever they want by themselves?
Common sense tells me this can't be the case, but I can't find anything else in their Ts&Cs.
Advertisement
11-01-2019, 13:26   #2
looksee
Well, as long as it finishes before 7pm and is less than 30km. Yes, otherwise it does appear that you could put a 1 year old on a bus.

http://www.buseireann.ie/pdf/1546427...ber-2018--.pdf they even appear to promise to take care of them!
(2) thanks from:
11-01-2019, 21:44   #3
TheQuietFella

Quote:
Originally Posted by looksee View Post
Well, as long as it finishes before 7pm and is less than 30km. Yes, otherwise it does appear that you could put a 1 year old on a bus.

http://www.buseireann.ie/pdf/1546427...ber-2018--.pdf they even appear to promise to take care of them!
That appears to be for children being transported to their school!

Ye need to re-read the first line again where it says 'children under 12 …..'
11-01-2019, 21:53   #4
Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

Yeah no that's not gonna happen

If a 7 year old gets on my bus on their own and doesn't have a responsible adult with them, I'll be contacting the gardai and won't be carrying them.

We have staff notices as above but at the same time we can't be responsible for other people / children.
11-01-2019, 22:45   #5
obby1
Banned

BE and DB have guards do a background check on drivers, do GA do the same?
Advertisement
12-01-2019, 20:22   #6
looksee
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheQuietFella View Post
That appears to be for children being transported to their school!

Ye need to re-read the first line again where it says 'children under 12 …..'
Yup, read it and it still says
Children under 12 years of age will NOT be carried, except when they are accompanied by a responsible person aged 16 years or over, on Bus Eireann or Expressway services where the following conditions apply:
If the journey intended is greater than 30km
AND
If the journey intended is after 7pm.

so if it is less than 30km and not after 7pm they will be carried. Someone forgot to put in a minimum age for unaccompanied kids.
(3) thanks from:
12-01-2019, 20:34   #7
XPS_Zero

Quote:
AND

so if it is less than 30km and not after 7pm they will be carried. Someone forgot to put in a minimum age for unaccompanied kids.

Would not the driver have a lot of discretion here? Legally you can refuse anyone service in "good faith" as long as you are not discriminating on the nine grounds. Fearing for a childs safety would seem to be good faith. As someone said above if a 7 year old got on the bus I'd be nervous.

Even watching those feral kids between the Leapordstown and Ballyogan Wood stops on the Luas green line (or as I call it the little red line) makes me wonder what the hell sometimes, some of them are barely above toddler status.
12-01-2019, 21:17   #8
TheQuietFella

Quote:
AND

Except when they are accompanied by a responsible person aged 16 years or over.
12-01-2019, 21:46   #9
josip

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheQuietFella View Post
Except when they are accompanied by a responsible person aged 16 years or over.

yes but:

...where the following conditions apply:
AND

If both of those conditions aren't met, then the accompanied by 16 years requirement is moot.
Read it again.
Advertisement
12-01-2019, 21:55   #10
ForestFire

Quote:
Originally Posted by josip View Post
yes but:

...where the following conditions apply:
AND

If both of those conditions aren't met, then the accompanied by 16 years requirement is moot.
Read it again.
If they are accompanied by a 16 year old then they must also meet the next two conditions. There is no "or" between the 16 year old requirement and the two conditions related to the 16 year old requirement.
12-01-2019, 22:29   #11
josip

Perhaps it's more readable and easier to understand if the order of the clauses are swapped?

Children under 12 years of age will NOT be carried on Bus Eireann or Expressway services, where the following conditions apply:
  • If the journey intended is greater than 30km
AND
  • If the journey intended is after 7pm.
except when they are accompanied by a responsible person aged 16 years or over.

BE's problem is that they can't prohibit the carrying of children to and from primary school.
But the wording they have chosen on that link, doesn't prohibit other scenarios that would be questionable eg. Mammy can put her 8 year old on the 10:00 from Cork and Granny can meet him/her in Busaras at 13:45.

Out of curiosity, I checked if I could buy a child ticket without an adult ticket from their website and I was able to get to Checkout. The Ts&Cs they have on that page are different to what's in the OP, and make a lot more sense.

Quote:
Unaccompanied Children
Children under 12 years of age will NOT be carried, except when they are accompanied by a responsible person aged 16 years or over, on the following categories of Bus Éireann services:

All Expressway services - as detailed in Expressway section of Bus Éireann website Buseireann.ie or in the Expressway section of Bus Éireann’s published Timetable Booklet.

Non-Expressway services where the intended journey of the child passenger exceeds 50 kilometres.

Where doubt exists as to the eligibility of a child for unaccompanied travel, it is the responsibility of the passenger claiming such eligibility to produce evidence of age.
12-01-2019, 22:29   #12
looksee
I honestly don't think anyone is taking this discussion all that seriously as a practical proposition...
12-01-2019, 22:37   #13
josip

Quote:
I honestly don't think anyone is taking this discussion all that seriously as a practical proposition...

It did originate from a serious idea I had to put our 11 year old on a bus in Dublin and for his mammy to meet him off the bus in Galway.
I was wondering if it was allowed.
Thanks from:
12-01-2019, 22:43   #14
ForestFire

The except comes first followed by one main condition

-must be accompanied by 16 year old

And two further conditions that apply when accompanied by the 16 year old

-journey must end by 7
-journey less than 30km

You cannot simy add conditional "or" that is not there or move the word except....

Try reading without the bus service it applies to and see... Then just add this addition info back in, that does not change the meaning of the rules....

Unaccompanied Children
Children under 12 years of age will NOT be carried, except when they are accompanied by a responsible person aged 16 years or over, where the following conditions apply:

AND
12-01-2019, 22:47   #15
L1011

I think they intended Or not And between those conditions. But intent isn't any use when it's written down

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion