Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

08-01-2019, 23:07   #46
emeldc

Quote:
Originally Posted by liamog View Post

You have not been able to provide a reason using photos or logic as to why using the r/h lane is allowed. Repeating the assertion without a source does not make it true.
Ok, I’ll try again and I suggest you read the op’s question again.

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.2702...7i16384!8i8192
This is the first exit off the r/a in question. Please explain what you don’t understand about it.
Advertisement
08-01-2019, 23:15   #47
liamog

Quote:
Originally Posted by emeldc View Post
Ok, I’ll try again and I suggest you read the op’s question again.

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.2702...7i16384!8i8192
This is the first exit off the r/a in question. Please explain what you don’t understand about it.

As previously stated, I'm clearly aware of the roundabout. Again I ask you the question what justification do you have for being in the right lane?

If you were 'pulled' for being in the wrong lane, what reason would you provide that is backed up by a source other than "Well shucks, other people do it Garda."
08-01-2019, 23:20   #48
emeldc

Quote:
As previously stated, I'm clearly aware of the roundabout. Again I ask you the question what justification do you have for being in the right lane?

If you were 'pulled' for being in the wrong lane, what reason would you provide that is backed up by a source other than "Well shucks, other people do it Garda."
Ah liamog, FFS, I can’t argue any more with you. Drive safely.
Thanks from:
09-01-2019, 00:07   #49
liamog

You too emeldc.

If you ever want to discuss an interesting roundabout again with similar traffic movements
here's one I'd recommnd https://www.google.com/maps/@53.4267.../data=!3m1!1e3 though I supect you may want a break

Last edited by liamog; 09-01-2019 at 00:15.
09-01-2019, 08:06   #50
realdanbreen

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonTemplar View Post
I found this in a leaflet from the RSA on roundabout usage

http://www.rsa.ie/Documents/Road%20S...DL_2012_v3.pdf

So it seems the default is to use the left but the right can also be used if needed.

That whole '12 O'clock ' rule has a bolox made of the whole thing.
Much simpler (and safer) to keep in left lane if taking 1st or 2nd exit, otherwise use right lane.
Advertisement
09-01-2019, 09:39   #51
GreeBo

Quote:
Originally Posted by realdanbreen View Post
Much simpler (and safer) to keep in left lane if taking 1st or 2nd exit, otherwise use right lane.
Not at all, as the roundabout in question aptly demonstrates!
09-01-2019, 10:12   #52
Seth Brundle
Error: 404 Personality Not Found

Quote:
Originally Posted by realdanbreen View Post
...but that doesn't suit so many roundabouts e.g. https://www.google.com/maps/@53.2704.../data=!3m1!1e3 where anyone coming from Ballinteer Rd to M50 N should be able to use both left and right lanes. If you were to visit this, you would see that they do use both lanes in this scenario.
09-01-2019, 12:18   #53
Dravokivich

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom1ie View Post
The overriding rule at roundabouts is
Left lane: left turn and straight on.
Right lane: right turn only UNLESS the road straight ahead is a dual lane road. In this case you can use the right lane to go straight on.

There is NO legal way to be in the left hand lane and exit the roundabout on the right hand side.
It doesn't matter how many lanes are on the exit. If there's 2 entering and the right isn't marked explicitly to go around, both can exit straight ahead.

If unmarked you can legally go around the round about entering from the left lane. Its just advised not to.
Thanks from:
09-01-2019, 13:27   #54
tom1ie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dravokivich View Post
It doesn't matter how many lanes are on the exit. If there's 2 entering and the right isn't marked explicitly to go around, both can exit straight ahead.

If unmarked you can legally go around the round about entering from the left lane. Its just advised not to.
Your telling me that on an unmarked roundabout you can enter on the left and exit on the right?
How long have you your driving licence, or have you got one?
Advertisement
09-01-2019, 13:38   #55
Alun

Quote:
Your telling me that on an unmarked roundabout you can enter on the left and exit on the right?
The key word in the statement is "legally". AFAIK there's nothing in any SI that prohibits it, only what's in the ROTR which are guidelines and not legally binding.
(2) thanks from:
09-01-2019, 13:44   #56
Deise Vu

Quote:
Markings on the road override the standard rules.

For instance you cannot use the right lane to use an exit before 12 O'Clock unless there is a lane marking indicating otherwise. Except in the case where traffic conditions e.g. a queue of cars heading left at the first exit.

If for some reason the leftmost lane had a right arrow, then you would be allowed to use the left lane to turn right. Though in reality this would be a terrible design and should probably be fixed by the relevant authority.
You should check out the roundabout at Waterford Train Station at the northern end of Rice Bridge, it has exactly that configuration when you approach from the Sallypark (M9) direction. Helpfully, the road signs tell you to stay in the left lane when turning right if going towards The Quay and use the right lane turning right if going up Bridge Street. Because every driver in the world passing through Waterford knows whether he is going up Bridge Street or down the Quay.

Waterford is full of roundabouts with variations on the standard left lane for left / straight ahead. Some of the major ones such as the Hospital (handy that!) have left lane / left only and left lane / left or straight ahead depending on which direction you approach the Roundabout. It generally works great but you need to be very aware that the person beside you probably hasn't noticed the signs. The one's completely in the wrong are also always the first on their supercharged car horn.
Thanks from:
10-01-2019, 01:07   #57
liamog

Quote:

You are correct re the number of exit lanes not mattering, however if the straight ahead exit is at or before 12 O'Clock and the entry lanes are unmarked. Only the left lane should be used for using that exit, unless traffic conditions, such as their is a large queue of traffic taking an exit prior to straight exit.
10-01-2019, 11:54   #58
Dravokivich

Quote:
It doesn't matter how long I've been driving for. I know the difference in context between an action that's legal and an action that's suggested.

I don't recall reading anything in the Road Traffic Acts, about explicit use of lanes on a round about based upon entry / exit. It's just as with anywhere else on the roads, Road Markings take precedence. If it's unmarked, you are required to try and use it as safely as you can.

Quote:
You are correct re the number of exit lanes not mattering, however if the straight ahead exit is at or before 12 O'Clock and the entry lanes are unmarked. Only the left lane should be used for using that exit, unless traffic conditions, such as their is a large queue of traffic taking an exit prior to straight exit.
tom1ie is arguing a legal need to not use the left lane, to go further. As opposed to turning off earlier from a right lane. I don't recall seeing anything that states that, other than advice on how to approach round abouts.

Last edited by Dravokivich; 10-01-2019 at 11:58.
Thanks from:
10-01-2019, 12:13   #59
liamog

Quote:
tom1ie is arguing a legal need to not use the left lane, to go further. As opposed to turning off earlier from a right lane. I don't recall seeing anything that states that, other than advice on how to approach round abouts.

Is there a general requirement to obey road markings and signage? The act of using the right lane is not specifically illegal, but ignoring the road markings and failing to keep left may have caused an offence?
10-01-2019, 12:33   #60
TheChizler

Quote:
Is there a general requirement to obey road markings and signage? The act of using the right lane is not specifically illegal, but ignoring the road markings and failing to keep left may have caused an offence?
The only road marking I can think of on a roundabout that can really dictate where you exit is a continuous white line. Otherwise you can just make a lane change (safely) if you need to.

The only references I can find to arrows in legislation say they dictate the direction you must take at a junction to join the flow of traffic, so going by that a left arrow just means join the roundabout by going left (clockwise) but says nothing about what exit you take since a roundabout is just a series of junctions on a one way road, and a right arrow would technically mean go right when you join the junction, this would be anticlockwise and is directly contradicted by the only law mentioning roundabouts, so does this mean arrows entering roundabouts are meaningless legally and just suggestions? Discuss...

Now if there was a left arrow coming onto a roundabout but the line markings implied you could go left or straight there might be confusion, maybe you might be guilty of dangerous driving depending on how you handled it.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion