Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

05-01-2019, 23:29   #1
Tar.Aldarion
/flails limbs

Dublin Bus app gone?

I got a new phone and there is no option to add this from the store. Works fine on my old phone.

Title should say Dublin.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
05-01-2019, 23:37   #2
Stephen15

It is taken down after a period of time without an update. There are other superior apps out there such as RTPI Ireland which has all DB, GAI, Dart and Luas on it aswell as Moovit and Next Bus Dublin. Honestly the DB app is pretty rubbish imho. It should be removed for good now GAI are up and running.
05-01-2019, 23:43   #3
Tar.Aldarion
/flails limbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen15 View Post
It is taken down after a period of time without an update. There are other superior apps out there such as RTPI Ireland which has all DB, GAI, Dart and Luas on it aswell as Moovit and Next Bus Dublin. Honestly the DB app is pretty rubbish imho. It should be removed for good now GAI are up and running.
I much prefer the Dublin bus app over next bus Dublin, I asked a few people here and they've all noticed the Dublin bus app is gone and they were annoyed about it too.

I haven't tried the RTPI app as it has such poor ratings (2.7). Will try some of these alternatives thanks.
(4) thanks from:
05-01-2019, 23:45   #4
ED E

Its been ~180 days and the Google Maps integration STILL isnt fixed. Situations vacant in DB IT Dept. Joke.

The TII apps are worse btw. How they managed to be worse than DB I'll never know.
06-01-2019, 03:46   #5
Victor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ED E View Post
The TII apps are worse btw. How they managed to be worse than DB I'll never know.
Possibly down to (historical) budgets.
Advertisement
06-01-2019, 03:58   #6
Tar.Aldarion
/flails limbs

Awesome, thank you!
06-01-2019, 14:17   #7
LuckyLloyd
The Voice of Reason

Quote:
Important to note a disagreement with the above opinion. I find the DB app far superior to alternatives.
06-01-2019, 14:41   #8
StreetLight

This is not the first time this has happened. You'd think they'd put some sort of procedure in place to prevent a repeat.
06-01-2019, 16:09   #9
Stephen15

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyLloyd View Post
Important to note a disagreement with the above opinion. I find the DB app far superior to alternatives.
I don't find there's much difference tbh but the TFI app is better as it has real time for all modes of public transport. I have to use it anyway as some the buses in my area are GAI operated.
Advertisement
06-01-2019, 19:18   #10
Lord Glentoran

Quote:
I don't find there's much difference tbh but the TFI app is better as it has real time for all modes of public transport. I have to use it anyway as some the buses in my area are GAI operated.
Has anyone found any more glitches in TFI, like the one that encouraged travellers to get a bus to Dundalk and change to a non existent one that took thirty seconds or something to dump them somewhere off the Falls?
Thanks from:
06-01-2019, 19:23   #11
L1011

At some point the data APIs behind the old app will be closed off, plus it's missing the GAI routes already
06-01-2019, 20:23   #12
CPTM

I've definitely noticed that the other dublin bus apps seem to have real-time information only 50% of the time, and the rest of the time they seem to calculate expected arrival time based on timetables which is completely useless.

The dublin bus app however always has real-time info, which might not be exact in terms of minutes until arrival, but when you check the bus stop previous to yours to see when the bus is Due and then disappears, at least you know where it is on the road and makes arrival moment easier to predict.

It's also possible to access the information on Dublin Bus's website (They have a mobile site now) with the same appearance and functionality.

http://www.dublinbus.ie/DublinBus-Mobile/RTPI/
Thanks from:
08-01-2019, 16:57   #13
jackofalltrades

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post
I got a new phone and there is no option to add this from the store. Works fine on my old phone.

Title should say Dublin.
Fair play for starting this thread.
Got a new phone myself and wasn't liking the idea of not having this app.
Thanks from:
09-01-2019, 00:27   #14
ED E

Quote:
Its not. Its f'cked.

DB App:
Find Stop, 13 mins to bus, start to leave
Reply to text
Set music playing
Return to app, 9 mins to bus, out the door

TII App:
Find Stop, 13 mins to bus, start to leave
Reply to text
Set music playing
Return to app - greeted by main f'ckin screen again. Archaic lazy development. Holding state (intents) isnt hard, 1st year CS students can do it.
09-01-2019, 07:06   #15
p_haugh

The RTPI website is also a good backup (rtpi.ie).

Defaults each time, but you can have it default to your 'home' location if you want. Also you need the stop number of the stop you want.

It's still good though as it even says if a bus was cancelled. It's pretty much a visualisation of the exact data that gets thrown up on the RTPI poles.
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion