Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Post Reply  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
05-01-2019, 22:04   #16
punisher5112
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 11,442
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen15 View Post
Plenty of "learner" drivers driving unaccompanied for sometimes up to 10 years as they haven't been bothered even sitting a test. Just because someone is a learner driver doesn't necessarily mean their inexpierenced there's plenty of people on a learner permits driving longer than people on full licences.
But they are still not experienced enough to be honest.

It's ridiculous what's actually allowed go on out there.

Driving styles are horrendous.
punisher5112 is offline  
Advertisement
05-01-2019, 22:05   #17
lbc2019
Registered User
 
lbc2019's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by punisher5112 View Post
These ads will not put people off.

Most young people hell even older don't even watch TV anymore and use many other methods.

What should be also looked at is these ditches, drains, blind bends/corners.... Etc. They should be covered or moved further from the road.

I myself was very lucky to walk away from a crash where I hit black ice and went off road directly into a tree right beside a swollen river.

The car was destroyed and I had to get out the passenger side but the river had not one barrier or any protection and a huge drop off from the road.
We’re you driving at a suitable speed for the conditions? Were there signs indicating the unprotected banks?
lbc2019 is offline  
05-01-2019, 22:06   #18
lbc2019
Registered User
 
lbc2019's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by road_high View Post
She wasn’t driving “in a flood”. Fields and dykes beside the road were flooded
So there was flooding and If I remember the weather was poor
lbc2019 is offline  
05-01-2019, 22:07   #19
lbc2019
Registered User
 
lbc2019's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by punisher5112 View Post
That's why they are called road traffic collisions.
We referred to them as road traffic incidents
lbc2019 is offline  
05-01-2019, 22:07   #20
Stheno
Moderator
 
Stheno's Avatar
I think it like the drunk driver ad are very appropriate tbh.

I'd like to see that learner driver charged appropriately
Stheno is offline  
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
05-01-2019, 22:07   #21
Stephen15
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 5,479
Quote:
Originally Posted by lbc2019 View Post
Well they should do a test. Learner permit drivers are not allowed drive unaccompanied with good reason
Yes but that doesn't mean many still do. I know people who commute to and from work everyday by car driving on the motorway from down the country to Dublin and they've been driving for the guts of four or five years.
Stephen15 is offline  
05-01-2019, 22:10   #22
lbc2019
Registered User
 
lbc2019's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen15 View Post
Yes but that doesn't mean many still do. I know people who commute to and from work everyday by car driving on the motorway from down the country to Dublin and they've been driving for the guts of four or five years.
So not only are they breaking one law, they are breaking two?
lbc2019 is offline  
Thanks from:
05-01-2019, 22:13   #23
Stephen15
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 5,479
Quote:
Originally Posted by punisher5112 View Post
But they are still not experienced enough to be honest.

It's ridiculous what's actually allowed go on out there.

Driving styles are horrendous.
I'd agree with you there but it's not just learner drivers plenty of bad drivers out there with full licences too. They should have to have at least sat a test before renewing a licence.
Stephen15 is offline  
(2) thanks from:
05-01-2019, 22:19   #24
Needles73
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 396
Quote:
Originally Posted by lbc2019 View Post
It will teach others not to drive alone unless fully qualified
I hope it does but at what cost. A single incident which clearly points blame at one person should not be the basis of a national road safety campaign at Christmas.
For years unaccompanied drivers drove because the law wasn’t enforced. Now we have a new unnecessary law and maybe it will be enforced. Maybe not. The RSA ( and our law makers) are great with road safety once it costs very little. We test our cars but who tests the roads ? We have laws coming out our ears but yet everyday I see people driving and on the phone for example. Do the guards not see what i see ?
We want to bring in more laws to protect cyclists but we don’t want to actually build proper cycle lanes. We bring in even tighter drink laws but we never actually enforced the old ones.....We don’t teach road safety in schools, we don’t teach first aid. We investigate every fatal road accident but why don’t we publish the findings minus names and sensitive details ? Where’s the learning ?

Surely we could have done better than single out one accident and remind one person that they cost two life’s at Christmas. In my opinion very poor and lazy by RSA.
Needles73 is offline  
Advertisement
05-01-2019, 22:20   #25
road_high
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 10,287
Quote:
Originally Posted by lbc2019 View Post
So there was flooding and If I remember the weather was poor
Yes as is often the case in Ireland! Should we all just stop driving every time the weather conditions are not 100% perfect?
road_high is offline  
Thanks from:
05-01-2019, 22:21   #26
Stephen15
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 5,479
Quote:
Originally Posted by lbc2019 View Post
So not only are they breaking one law, they are breaking two?
That appears to happen due a lack of enforcement.
Stephen15 is offline  
05-01-2019, 22:33   #27
lbc2019
Registered User
 
lbc2019's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by road_high View Post
Yes as is often the case in Ireland! Should we all just stop driving every time the weather conditions are not 100% perfect?
Inexperienced drivers shouldn’t drive in poor weather
lbc2019 is offline  
(2) thanks from:
05-01-2019, 22:33   #28
lbc2019
Registered User
 
lbc2019's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by Needles73 View Post
I hope it does but at what cost. A single incident which clearly points blame at one person should not be the basis of a national road safety campaign at Christmas.
For years unaccompanied drivers drove because the law wasn’t enforced. Now we have a new unnecessary law and maybe it will be enforced. Maybe not. The RSA ( and our law makers) are great with road safety once it costs very little. We test our cars but who tests the roads ? We have laws coming out our ears but yet everyday I see people driving and on the phone for example. Do the guards not see what i see ?
We want to bring in more laws to protect cyclists but we don’t want to actually build proper cycle lanes. We bring in even tighter drink laws but we never actually enforced the old ones.....We don’t teach road safety in schools, we don’t teach first aid. We investigate every fatal road accident but why don’t we publish the findings minus names and sensitive details ? Where’s the learning ?

Surely we could have done better than single out one accident and remind one person that they cost two life’s at Christmas. In my opinion very poor and lazy by RSA.
The courts found her at fault
lbc2019 is offline  
05-01-2019, 22:36   #29
splinter65
Registered User
 
splinter65's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 4,565
Quote:
Originally Posted by road_high View Post
Anyone see the latest RSA ad? Man from north cork who’s wife and daughter died a few years ago in a horrible accident- the ad is quite pointed and sharp I think. I know his family were killed and it’s very tragic but the poor girl didn’t deliberately set out to kill them and could have happened any driver or accompanied driver. I think it’s in poor taste/tone
I agree and my mother and I were just talking about it on the phone. Anyone would think that she and her parents were psychotic. I totally get that his life is destroyed but this ad smacks of state sponsored vengeance and I hope that this doesn’t backfire on them.

Last edited by splinter65; 05-01-2019 at 22:41.
splinter65 is offline  
(4) thanks from:
05-01-2019, 22:38   #30
Stheno
Moderator
 
Stheno's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stheno View Post
I think it like the drunk driver ad are very appropriate tbh.

I'd like to see that learner driver charged appropriately
I just discovered she was banned for 15 years

Seems fair

It seems the RSA only do these ads after court
Stheno is offline  
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet