Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

18-12-2018, 16:22   #61
P_1

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_syco View Post
Where will you be placing these P+R facilities that house 100's of cars and are manned by security but don't charge?

Because most people who drive in are doing so due to the lack of local transport into Dublin. Once near Dublin, there is a lack of safe P+R facilities.

Also, the majority of people who cycle using the Dubblin Bicycles don't seem to know the rules of the road.

Nuclear weapons; great at lowering the general population.

The same capitalism that employs you?

Agreed, but the train stations need larger parking facilities, and ones that don't charge too much.

So a higher car tax because there is no public transport going to where he works? What a load of bollox!

Sounds like people inside Dublin Area. Anything outside said area is costly. So rather than paying for parking in Dublin, people would need to pay for parking outside of Dublin, as well as the price to get public transport into Dublin, followed by multiple other transfers to get to their destination.
Put them at every m50 junction. Fund them with a hefty congestion charge for driving in the city
Advertisement
18-12-2018, 16:23   #62
AndrewJRenko

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom1ie View Post
Also to make people use the p+r’s I would place tolls on the cc side of the p+r’s but also encourage tax incentives for parking and pt travel passes if p+r’s were used.

Also, the majority of people who cycle using the Dubblin Bicycles don't seem to know the rules of the road.
Love the phonetic spelling!

I guess that would put the majority of Dublin Bike users in the same category as the majority of motorists who break speed limits, red lights and use their phones while driving.

Though in broad terms, the safety record of the Dublin Bike scheme is excellent - one death iirc in ten years.
18-12-2018, 16:25   #63
AndrewJRenko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patww79 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgcsb View Post
Right so, but no point moaning then when congestion charging and widespread car bans making driving very time consuming and expensive for you.

as for our 'lefty hippy craic' if you live 50 odd years in the future and you witness the ecological collapse of the Earth, subsequent famines, wars and general brutality you'll probably regret denigrating people who engage in 'lefty hippy craic', or you won't because you'll be in the last years of your life and you won't care what happens to the remaining humans.
Once you're forcing people like cattle onto buses and banning driving then you're a good step along the way to the place being ****ed anyway. Do you pick up your daily nutrition supplement tablet on the way to the bus or will it be available on board?
Do people have such empty lives that they think that driving is fun?
(2) thanks from:
18-12-2018, 16:26   #64
AndrewJRenko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patww79 View Post
Quote:
Right so, but no point moaning then when congestion charging and widespread car bans making driving very time consuming and expensive for you.

as for our 'lefty hippy craic' if you live 50 odd years in the future and you witness the ecological collapse of the Earth, subsequent famines, wars and general brutality you'll probably regret denigrating people who engage in 'lefty hippy craic', or you won't because you'll be in the last years of your life and you won't care what happens to the remaining humans.
Once you're forcing people like cattle onto buses and banning driving then you're a good step along the way to the place being ****ed anyway. Do you pick up your daily nutrition supplement tablet on the way to the bus or will it be available on board?
Thanks from:
18-12-2018, 16:32   #65
Trampas

Train station in sallins is full each day around 7:30. It’s going to be another year before more spaces available. People are driving from everywhere as train from newbridge costs literally double the price and only a few minutes down the road. Make it cheaper from there would help easy the congestion
Thanks from:
Advertisement
18-12-2018, 17:37   #66
Twenty Grand

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewJRenko View Post
Not at all.
The argument has been done to death.
You can quite rightly point out all the benefits of cycling, but people don't care. It's a hassle. It's more difficult than driving. Until there's an easier solution then people won't change, and no amount of studies and preaching will change that.
People are well aware of the benefits of cycling, but most still choose to drive. People are well aware of the benefits of a healthy lifestyle but most still choose to eat whatever they want.

People are people, and will nearly always choose the path of least resistance.
Thanks from:
18-12-2018, 17:54   #67
P_1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twenty Grand View Post
Not at all.
The argument has been done to death.
You can quite rightly point out all the benefits of cycling, but people don't care. It's a hassle. It's more difficult than driving. Until there's an easier solution then people won't change, and no amount of studies and preaching will change that.
People are well aware of the benefits of cycling, but most still choose to drive. People are well aware of the benefits of a healthy lifestyle but most still choose to eat whatever they want.

People are people, and will nearly always choose the path of least resistance.
That's the thing. We need to make driving the path of most resistance.

Take a commute from Navan to town as an example. Build a p&r at Clonee with a bus that will guarantee you being on oconnoll street within 20 minutes. Who would drive all the way in when they have that option? Build it and they will come
Thanks from:
18-12-2018, 18:38   #68
the_syco

Quote:
Originally Posted by P_1 View Post
Build a p&r at Clonee with a bus that will guarantee you being on oconnoll street within 20 minutes.
What's wrong with the M3 Parkway? Too small?
18-12-2018, 18:40   #69
Eric Cartman

Quote:

And Ill be the last one driving my range rover over scortched earth to the last place with a litre of water costing 2 childrens skulls and a 10 grams of gold
Advertisement
18-12-2018, 18:58   #70
P_1

Quote:
What's wrong with the M3 Parkway? Too small?
A fair point. However m3 parkway is hamstrung by a lack of rolling stock. IE seem uninterested in buying more. The amount of level crossings around Clonsillla make increasing services on that route problematic though
18-12-2018, 18:59   #71
P_1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Cartman View Post
And Ill be the last one driving my range rover over scortched earth to the last place with a litre of water costing 2 childrens skulls and a 10 grams of gold
You mean you won't have a massive set of speakers on the back along with some lad playing rousing guitar riffs to keep you moving?

Wheres your ambition lad?
(2) thanks from:
18-12-2018, 19:00   #72
Eric Cartman

Quote:
Originally Posted by P_1 View Post
You mean you won't have a massive set of speakers on the back along with some lad playing rousing guitar riffs to keep you moving?

Wheres your ambition lad?
ofcourse, that was always the plan. Thought it didnt have to be mentioned.
Thanks from:
18-12-2018, 19:11   #73
hmmm

We can't be forever held back by people working in some inaccessible part of the city due to where they live.

If we enforced the use of public transport, people will make choices on the back of this. Should I get a job in Terenure if I live in Laois? Should I buy a smaller house closer to my workplace, rather than buying a 5 bed in the country? Would I pressure my politicians to build a metro & more LUAS lines, rather than giving out about losing part of my garden? Would I like to see more highrise apartments in the city, closer to my workplace?

It would be difficult in the beginning, but changes would happen. We have a great opportunity considering we are close to full employment - people have choices.
18-12-2018, 19:14   #74
Dravokivich

Quote:

If they do that I'm just gonna stop working. 2.5 hours on buses each way, was hard enough to do it for a month. Not gonna do it again because someone thinks it's how I've got to commute and be punished financially for daring to be the square peg.
(2) thanks from:
18-12-2018, 19:19   #75
Eric Cartman

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmmm View Post
We can't be forever held back by people working in some inaccessible part of the city due to where they live.

If we enforced the use of public transport, people will make choices on the back of this. Should I get a job in Terenure if I live in Laois? Should I buy a smaller house closer to my workplace, rather than buying a 5 bed in the country? Would I pressure my politicians to build a metro & more LUAS lines, rather than giving out about losing part of my garden? Would I like to see more highrise apartments in the city, closer to my workplace?

It would be difficult in the beginning, but changes would happen. We have a great opportunity considering we are close to full employment - people have choices.
I think congestion zones or these P&R city limits things would only encourage businesses to move just outside of the city. You'd be hard pressed to find many big company directors willing to forgoe the commute in a plush barge, or their 5 bed manor, creating these 'city limits' transport hubs may even end up sending traffic flows backwards, with effective commuter links, city dwellers could easily travel out to their offices at these hubs. Eventually you'd just drive up property prices for commercial and residential wherever these are and you just end up with more sprawl and people commuting from further towns knowing that they now only have to go as far as rathcoole instead of drive the next 45 mins into the city.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion