Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

17-12-2018, 22:03   #16
salmocab

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom1ie View Post
One thing I do wonder about is do we know where people are actually going on the road. What i mean is how many people who use the m4 corridor go to the cc or sandyford, or swords etc.
that question applies to all the other radial routes. I presume this information is available from the census but it would be interesting to see how many people are going straight to the cc, and therefore these commuters could very easily be serviced by a p+r with frequent bus routes.
P&R onto a bus even one with great corridors is not appealing to a lot of people. The metro one will be successful but the chances are it won’t affect the M50. It will take the few users who come in from the M1 and go to the sandyford/leopards town area they will be delighted with a single reliable timewise journey.
Advertisement
17-12-2018, 22:06   #17
AndrewJRenko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patww79 View Post
There may be ways of making it faster with a lot of work, but it'll never be easier or more appealing.
This may be a bit of a shocker to you, but there are many, many people who choose public transport over driving. They don't want the stress of driving. They're quite happy to be able to do their email or do some browsing or some snoozing on their journey. They're delighted to be able to become a one-car family instead of two, or a no-car family instead of one. It's never been easier to get a car on those occasions that you actually need it.
17-12-2018, 22:06   #18

Totally agree OP.

I dont drive in as I would be stressed enough dealing with traffic before Id even started work....and I dont have a parking space anyway plus fuel/tolls cost would be more about 4 times what I pay now. I get a commuter bus and M1 is at a standstill around malahide estuary every single morning. Used to be just the odd one but its gotten worse in last 6 months or so.

As for travelling on bus, theres not much in it vs driving but extra time for parking at bus depot etc. I watch netflix and catch up on some zzzz's so happy enough once the traffic is light

Plenty of cars you see only have a driver too, maybe carpool incentives might be helpful too

Last edited by 368100; 17-12-2018 at 22:11.
(2) thanks from:
17-12-2018, 22:18   #19
P_1

Agree wholeheartedly with this idea.

When you cycle around town you can't help but notice how miserable so many people look as they're stuck sat in traffic in their cars. Theres no surprise so many people refer to cars as metal cages. It can't be good for your physical and mental health dealing with the extra stress of driving through the city, particularly after a complex day at work.
Thanks from:
17-12-2018, 22:21   #20
Eric Cartman

Quote:
Originally Posted by P_1 View Post
Agree wholeheartedly with this idea.

When you cycle around town you can't help but notice how miserable so many people look as they're stuck sat in traffic in their cars. Theres no surprise so many people refer to cars as metal cages. It can't be good for your physical and mental health dealing with the extra stress of driving through the city, particularly after a complex day at work.
Do you cycle to work ? Ive only ever heard this from cyclists. In anything bar 20 degrees with a cool breeze on your back, the car is a much more stress free place to be.
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
17-12-2018, 22:25   #21
P_1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Cartman View Post
Do you cycle to work ? Ive only ever heard this from cyclists. In anything bar 20 degrees with a cool breeze on your back, the car is a much more stress free place to be.
I do. I've heard motorcyclists use the term too.

20 degrees with a slight breeze on the back is oddly too warm at times to be on the bike, give me horizontal rain and a brutal headwind any day of the week. It's good for the soul 😉
Thanks from:
17-12-2018, 22:32   #22
Eric Cartman

Quote:
Originally Posted by P_1 View Post
I do. I've heard motorcyclists use the term too.

20 degrees with a slight breeze on the back is oddly too warm at times to be on the bike, give me horizontal rain and a brutal headwind any day of the week. It's good for the soul ��
ill stick to climate controlled seats and a 19 speaker sound system cheers.
17-12-2018, 22:34   #23
L1011

No car driver who does not use another format uses the cage terminology. Rather pointless bringing it up
(2) thanks from:
17-12-2018, 22:34   #24
P_1

Quote:
Ah different strokes for different folks. Love driving on the open roads, just couldn't be dealing with the stress of driving through the city centre
Advertisement
17-12-2018, 23:12   #25
AndrewJRenko

Quote:
I'll stick to halving my cancer risk, and not having to find time for exercise outside of my commute.
Thanks from:
17-12-2018, 23:14   #26
Eric Cartman

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewJRenko View Post
I'll stick to halving my cancer risk, and not having to find time for exercise outside of my commute.
im pretty sure breathing in all that diesel particle air without a filter vs my pollen filtered air would upset that stat.
17-12-2018, 23:16   #27
AndrewJRenko

Quote:
im pretty sure breathing in all that diesel particle air without a filter vs my pollen filtered air would upset that stat.

Nope, funnily enough, cyclists come out better on fumes too;

https://www.theguardian.com/environm...d-routes-study
(3) thanks from:
18-12-2018, 01:47   #28
Arcade_Tryer

Quote:
The only truly stressful aspect of cycling in the city is the presence of cars, most of which shouldn't be there. It's a vicious cycle.
18-12-2018, 07:52   #29
Working class heroes

Quote:
Do you drive a diesel car?
18-12-2018, 07:56   #30
OldMrBrennan83

Quote:
Exactly this. Your own space and your own privacy. Heat, call people, listen to what you want, no horrible odours (except your own if you choose ), and just overall comfort.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion