Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

09-01-2019, 10:45   #16
sharper

My favourite has always been Next Bus Dublin which has both free and pay versions.

The UI is quite nice and lets you do things like select a bus on RTPI and create an alert when it's X minutes away.
Advertisement
09-01-2019, 10:49   #17
CPTM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharper View Post
My favourite has always been Next Bus Dublin which has both free and pay versions.

The UI is quite nice and lets you do things like select a bus on RTPI and create an alert when it's X minutes away.
Does it always have the real-time expected arrival? (Or 99% of the time I mean, aside from the odd outage)
09-01-2019, 11:01   #18
sharper

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPTM View Post
Does it always have the real-time expected arrival? (Or 99% of the time I mean, aside from the odd outage)
As far as I know he uses the Dublin Bus APIs for the dublin bus routes and Transport for Ireland for GAI so the times should always match what's in those apps.

You can choose to display it as the time of arrival or relative to now (i.e. in 8 minutes)
09-01-2019, 14:32   #19
smackyB

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharper View Post
As far as I know he uses the Dublin Bus APIs for the dublin bus routes and Transport for Ireland for GAI so the times should always match what's in those apps.

You can choose to display it as the time of arrival or relative to now (i.e. in 8 minutes)
Hello, author of Next Bus Dublin here. Yes this is correct, if the stop is served by any GAI routes it will pull times from TFI but if it is served solely by DB it will pull times from the DB server. There’s also an option in the app settings to force it to only use TFI or DB for all stops.

I know some of you are partial to the old official app which has disappeared in the last few months. If there are any features from it that you’d like to see in my app do let me know. Also, as of a few weeks ago Next Bus Dublin is available on iOS too so give it a spin if you have an Apple device and leave a review if you like it!
(6) thanks from:
10-01-2019, 19:12   #20
Franz Von Peppercorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPTM View Post
I've definitely noticed that the other dublin bus apps seem to have real-time information only 50% of the time, and the rest of the time they seem to calculate expected arrival time based on timetables which is completely useless.

The dublin bus app however always has real-time info, which might not be exact in terms of minutes until arrival, but when you check the bus stop previous to yours to see when the bus is Due and then disappears, at least you know where it is on the road and makes arrival moment easier to predict.

It's also possible to access the information on Dublin Bus's website (They have a mobile site now) with the same appearance and functionality.

http://www.dublinbus.ie/DublinBus-Mobile/RTPI/
Thanks. The app was clearly a wrapper around a web page anyway, except for location handling.

They seem to be using a development version of google maps.
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion