Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Basic question--how to find Catholic parish?

• 23-06-2018 5:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭

This is a basic research question.  How do I find the Catholic parish for a specific townland, civil parish or PLU or DED?  I do have subscriptions to various sites--Ancestry, John Grenham and more--but can't find out how to do this quickly and easily so I can search Catholic parish records when I have only a civil placename.
    Specifically, right now I'm searching for my possible Frawly/Frawley ancestors.  I have DNA clues leading to--
    [font=Times New Roman","serif]Kilbarry[/font][font=Times New Roman","serif] townland is in the Electoral Division of [/font][font=Times New Roman","serif]Castlecor[/font][font=Times New Roman","serif], in Civil Parish of [/font][font=Times New Roman","serif]Kilbrin[/font][font=Times New Roman","serif], in the Barony of [/font][font=Times New Roman","serif]Duhallow[/font][font=Times New Roman","serif], in the County of [/font][font=Times New Roman","serif]Cork[/font].  That is taken from townlands.ie.  Some DNA matches on Ancestry point there but not confirmed yet.  So I'd like to search the early to mid 19c Catholic records for Kilbarry townland in ???? parish.  Ballyclough?  Thanks very much.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,299 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Shane Wilson's parish finder might help.

Lots of other useful items on the site too.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭VirginiaB

Thanks--will do. I do have his site bookmarked but don't check often enough.

Advertisement