Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Prime time

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

A very inhumane situation and It's very wrong especially as there does not be a timeline on his release and he has young children who need him. Not seeing enough from the Government on this.

They couldn't do enough for Ibraham.

Nothing for this chap.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Lemon Davis lll

We now have Prime Time presenters interviewing each other on the issue of hitting vaccine targets, in front of a green screen reminiscent of an industrial facility featured in an N64 first person shooter.

All very odd.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

Awful looking set...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭StevenToast

What the f*ck was that sh*tshow??

Brutal set....

The whole show was the prime time presenters talking to other prime time presenters plus the awful stephen donnelly getting interrupted.....

Dreadful theme aswell...

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭Azatadine

Sarah is a bit on the vicious side isn't she? I'm no fan of Donnelly but at least let him finish answering the questions.....

I remember her being like this on Newstalk as well but I thought she was more measured on RTE. Looks like she is back to her Newstalk form again on PT. Hard to watch this type of interview. Let the guests speak without interruption and give them time to answer the questions!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭irishproduce

Is she trying very hard maybe?

What the f*ck was that sh*tshow??

Brutal set....

The whole show was the prime time presenters talking to other prime time presenters plus the awful stephen donnelly getting interrupted.....

Dreadful theme aswell...
    All they needed was Alan partridge to turn up as their new presenter...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,469 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

All they needed was Alan partridge to turn up as their new presenter...

S01E01-ekMrMuHI-subtitled.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭Azatadine

Is she trying very hard maybe?

Maybe. She comes across like a rabid dog on a leash though. Needs to tone it down and at least let guests answer the questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭StevenToast

Im still in shock at how bad that was....

What was that background supposed to be about?....i dread to think how much money was p*issed away on this whole new look "PT".....

Miriam was acting like a glorified MC, introducing other presenters and releasing the pitbull sarah mcinerney onto donnelly...

And a nice bit of farmer bashing at the end...

Another reason not to pay the licence fee....sure why not give Ryan Tubridy another week off RTE...

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,818 ✭✭✭Jizique

Azatadine wrote: »
    Maybe. She comes across like a rabid dog on a leash though. Needs to tone it down and at least let guests answer the questions.

What happens if they are just trying to drag it out and not answer? I mean, how irrelevant was the fact that the bill was signed 4 weeks ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭Aska

Jizique wrote: »
    What happens if they are just trying to drag it out and not answer? I mean, how irrelevant was the fact that the bill was signed 4 weeks ago.

Exactly, most politicians just want to waffle their way through the segment if it is with anyone who will actually ask questions rather than throwing softballs at them.

Miriam bless her could go though. I 'd rather have Louise than her at this point.

I think there are too many involved now, not sold on Fran. Barry is off out and about alot so he's ok, But is there any need for the other 4 in and around the studio?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Sarah is a bit on the vicious side isn't she? I'm no fan of Donnelly but at least let him finish answering the questions.....

I remember her being like this on Newstalk as well but I thought she was more measured on RTE. Looks like she is back to her Newstalk form again on PT. Hard to watch this type of interview. Let the guests speak without interruption and give them time to answer the questions!

This is Sarah's presenting style and it's shocking.

I remember when Chris O'Donoghue was on newstalk and he was excellent. Always felt she was trying to copy him and follow his route of success. She's not capable though.

What's the deal with Fran McNulty being both a panelist and then turning to be a presenter???

• Registered Users Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Im still in shock at how bad that was....

What was that background supposed to be about?....i dread to think how much money was p*issed away on this whole new look "PT".....

Miriam was acting like a glorified MC, introducing other presenters and releasing the pitbull sarah mcinerney onto donnelly...

And a nice bit of farmer bashing at the end...

Another reason not to pay the licence fee....sure why not give Ryan Tubridy another week off RTE...

Didn't see the point of the farmer slot. It was a NI vet practice. What has a vet in another country got to do with us.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Aska wrote: »
    Exactly, most politicians just want to waffle their way through the segment if it is with anyone who will actually ask questions rather than throwing softballs at them.

Miriam bless her could go though. I 'd rather have Louise than her at this point.

I think there are too many involved now, not sold on Fran. Barry is off out and about alot so he's ok, But is there any need for the other 4 in and around the studio?

I really like Barry on the serious crime segments, murders, gang deaths etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 30,150 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Aska wrote: »

I think Miriam started with fulltime with Prime Time around 95/96.
    She'll probably stay going until 25/26 and that will take her up to 30 years on the show and then retire.

Politicians really shouldn't put themselves through that to be honest. What is the advantage for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭Lesalare

I tuned in especially to watch her as I've liked her style and directness in the past, but UGH no. She was painful to watch this eve. Reminded me of Mastermind.
    She's like a bulldog. I feel sorry for anyone being interviewed by her she doesn't like or respect. It's bad interviewing skills and quite obnoxious.

She was like a patronising school teacher talking down to her pupils and telling them to hurry up whist cutting them off. I found it really irritating to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭Hamachi

Lesalare wrote: »
    She was like a patronising school teacher talking down to her pupils and telling them to hurry up whist cutting them off. I found it really irritating to watch.

Had high hopes for her, but she was totally unprofessional. Can’t see her lasting if she continues in that manner. Politicians simply won’t want to engage with her.

Slightly OT, but I feel like the guy (Mark?) does a pretty good job. He always seems pretty well briefed, is fairly personable, and has one of those nice Dublin accents that contrasts with strangulated vowels of Miriam. Was sorry to see him demoted.

• Advertisement

Hamachi wrote: »
    Had high hopes for her, but she was totally unprofessional. Can’t see her lasting if she continues in that manner. Politicians simply won’t want to engage with her.

No one will want to engage with her. I found her offensive to Stephen Donnelly.
    She treated him like was a 10 year old.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Didn't see the point of the farmer slot. It was a NI vet practice. What has a vet in another country got to do with us.

Because you are eating these drugs in your dinner?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,092 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Had high hopes for her

You mustn't have heard her on Newstalk. More at home in Gauntanamo Bay.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,043 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Those of us who have listened to her on Radio in Drivetime could have told you what to expect from McInerney.

It’s the old Vinnie Browne formula, chuck a question, five seconds later interrupt, chuck in another question ..interrupt....chuck in another.... and so on.

Interviewee doesn’t know what question they are answering and are disoriented.

Nothing new there.

Didn’t see the show but would be surprised if that wasn’t modus operandi.

the pitbull sarah mcinerney
    She's like a bulldog. I feel sorry for anyone being interviewed by her she doesn't like or respect.
    PARlance wrote: »
    You mustn't have heard her on Newstalk. More at home in Gauntanamo Bay.
    She was like a patronising school teacher.

No one will want to engage with her. I found her offensive to Stephen Donnelly.
    She treated him like was a 10 year old.

If I were McInerney, I'd wear all of these criticisms like a badge of honour. Journalists shouldn't set out to be liked, they should push politicians far beyond some civil, fireside chat. It's part of our democracy.

Brendan criticises her for being too much like Vincent Browne, probably the most fearless (or feared, depending on your perspective) journalist that this country ever produced. Again, not a bad thing. Any journalist worth their salt should be capable of making a politician's blood run cold.

Slightly OT, but I feel like the guy (Mark?) does a pretty good job. He always seems pretty well briefed, is fairly personable, and has one of those nice Dublin accents that contrasts with strangulated vowels of Miriam. Was sorry to see him demoted.

Yeah he was good along with the other lady.both now gone back to being reporters and probably a bit miffed .

If I were McInerney, I'd wear all of these criticisms like a badge of honour. Journalists shouldn't set out to be liked, they should push politicians far beyond some civil, fireside chat. It's part of our democracy.

Brendan criticises her for being too much like Vincent Browne, probably the most fearless (or feared, depending on your perspective) journalist that this country ever produced. Again, not a bad thing. Any journalist worth their salt should be capable of making a politician's blood run cold.

Why should they subject themselves to that treatment from a well paid journalist in RTE. A journalist we all have to pay for btw. At least we can vote a politician out.

Why should they subject themselves to that treatment from a well paid journalist in RTE. A journalist we all have to pay for btw. At least we can vote a politician out.
    Approximately half of RTE's revenue comes from advertising.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

All that's going to happen eventually is that the "minister is unavailable tonight" and a sacrificial lamb will be sent on by the government to be savaged by Sarah Doberman

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭moycullen14

You would be heartily sick of the waffle from politicians though.

The standard response to any question is a monologue, stating the obvious, rephrasing the question and saying precisely nothing.

Perfect example this morning with Norma Foley.

Q: 'Are we going to add France to the MHQ list?' (This may not have been Norma)
    A: As you know, the government is committed to blah, blah, blah. ..... We're not sure haven't decided yet

Q: When will 40 yo teachers be vaccinated?
    A: NIAC is independent of government, as you know, we follow their advice <blah, blah, waffle>...... 'Don't know'

If just once they would answer the bloody question with a simple yes, no, don't know instead of meaningless drivel, you'd have a lot more time for them.

I think most journalists show remarkable restraint. Politicians need to be called out a LOT more on their waffle.

I like Sarah and I like the way she goes after them.

If politicians won't appear on PT, it'll soon become their problem

Advertisement